What's new

Grammys 2024

You know how I know I am old?
- I don’t know who 90% of the Grammy nominees are.

I DO know who Taylor Swift, Miley, Metallica, Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel are though, so there’s that. 🤪

I have no idea if I have ever heard a Taylor Swift song or not. The only reason I even know who she is, is because the NFL is parading her around like a field mascot.
Like I needed even one more reason to not be interested in anything the NFL does.
I didn’t mind her until she showed up in Buffalo to cheer on the Chiefs. She’s dead to me now for dissin’ my Bills. 👎

I have no idea if I have ever heard a Taylor Swift song or not. The only reason I even know who she is, is because the NFL is parading her around like a field mascot.
Like I needed even one more reason to not be interested in anything the NFL does.
I read an article the other day about the camera people for football. It said they train hard to know what and when to catch plays and then a few lucky ones get chosen to capture the games. It then stated , imagine training and honing your skill to get picked and when you get there all excited because you know you can catch All the good action , you are then told " oh yeah you will be focused on just Taylor Swift !!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I read an article the other day about the camera people for football. It said they train hard to know what and when to catch plays and then a few lucky ones get chosen to capture the games. It then stated , imagine training and honing your skill to get picked and when you get there all excited because you know you can catch All the good action , you are then told " oh yeah you will be focused on just Taylor Swift !!!!
Yup. I don't care much what Taylor Swift does.
I'd be more interested in hearing about her relative Jonathan.

I understand that JayZ was complaining that Beyonce has never been awarded album of the year.
I should adjust what I said about this a bit. I have since read up on best album picks a bit, and the grammy for best album has not gone to a Black woman since 1999, even though there have been strong contenders in that category. I do not know so much about Beyonce per se, but the picks do seem a tad unbalanced.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree. I mean diversity was Everywhere !! Male female , other and All races and religions , what more could be hoped for ?? What more could have possibly been included ?? I mean maybe a little less of certain people who didn't even win a lot but for some reason keeps taking the spotlight ....

Well, I don't mind diverse recipients, but I want the most worthy candidates to win regardless.

To me, the Grammies were always a bit like high school popularity contests where the cool kids get all the awards. It used to be that a certain clique got all the awards, and now a different clique gets them ... and seems like no matter what happens someone will have a nose out of joint.

Methinks the proper solution is to not care about the Grammies.

I think the last popular music I enjoyed was Motown. I do occasionally check out a "popular" artist in the news, but find most music today is overproduced and all sounds the same. Some years back (10 or more), a NY reporter did a before/after story on music recording. She had a pleasant enough speaking voice, but couldn't sing a note. After running her awful song sample thru their equipment, even she sounded good.

To me, the Grammies were always a bit like high school popularity contests where the cool kids get all the awards. It used to be that a certain clique got all the awards, and now a different clique gets them
That seems correct to me. I just looked up Grammy selection and voting. The net tells me "GRAMMY nominees and winners are determined by Voting Members, who are composed of a pool of vetted and venerable performers, songwriters, producers, engineers, instrumentalists, and other creators currently working in the recording industry." And "the awards [are supposed to] honor "artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position."

I would say that for the top awards the latter statement is bogus. And the most important factor in getting an album of the year award is high sales figures. (This is not an original thought.) Seems to me the Grammys are awards given by the industry to the industry, and they will reflect in part what members of the industry think is best for the industry and best for the individuals voting. And I suspect there are powerful forces at work in the voter selection process. It is never going to be a search for the hypothertically best of anything. But whatever it is good for the industry to be popular.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
None of these award shows should be televised IMO. It’s voted on by people in the industry, not the fans watching. So why televise it. Then you’d get honest votes, and performances. Folks might actually dress decently without cameras on them too.

None of these award shows should be televised IMO. It’s voted on by people in the industry, not the fans watching. So why televise it. Then you’d get honest votes, and performances. Folks might actually dress decently without cameras on them too.
Well some awards are also composed of votes by representatives of the public..

I should adjust what I said about this a bit. I have since read up on best album picks a bit, and the grammy for best album has not gone to a Black woman since 1999, even though there have been strong contenders in that category. I do not know so much about Beyonce per se, but the picks do seem a tad unbalanced.
If they were picked by the voters then they would be up there , but a lot of the people are not using very original ideas and also it's for the best and no one is out there saying " well we need more diversity and be damn#d if they actually are any good. I mean the awards are for the best and should have Nothing to do with race , sex or religion.. People need.to stop saying we need more of this group just because they belong to it ... It is more important that they deserve it !!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well some awards are also composed of votes by representatives of the public..
Grammys are voted on by the Academy of Music - membership isn’t open to every tom dick and Harry. Gotta be working in the industry.

Oscars are voted on by the Academy of Motion Picture and Arts. Again, not open to the public. Gotta be in the industry.

Golden Globes are voted on by 300 journalists. Whatever the hell that means. Don’t know who selects the members or how you get in that but I guess you gotta be a journalist.

These are the big ones I think. Oh and Primetime Emmy which is voted on by the television academy and requires you work in television somehow.

So all the big ones that everyone fusses over require you to work in that industry. No one off the street driving a taxi can pony up the money to get a vote.

Unless maybe they are a rep. Of the public but still have to do something within the industry maybe. IDK.

Grammys are voted on by the Academy of Music - membership isn’t open to every tom dick and Harry. Gotta be working in the industry.

Oscars are voted on by the Academy of Motion Picture and Arts. Again, not open to the public. Gotta be in the industry.

Golden Globes are voted on by 300 journalists. Whatever the hell that means. Don’t know who selects the members or how you get in that but I guess you gotta be a journalist.

These are the big ones I think. Oh and Primetime Emmy which is voted on by the television academy and requires you work in television somehow.

So all the big ones that everyone fusses over require you to work in that industry. No one off the street driving a taxi can pony up the money to get a vote.

Unless maybe they are a rep. Of the public but still have to do something within the industry maybe. IDK.
So okay I guess Maybe you are right on some of the stuff... I know a lot of the movie awards are voted on based on screeners sent out to people who then vote.... I have actually gotten screeners and had the voting sheet ....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So okay I guess Maybe you are right on some of the stuff... I know a lot of the movie awards are voted on based on screeners sent out to people who then vote.... I have actually gotten screeners and had the voting sheet ....

How’d you manage that? I’ve looked in to a lot of theses Academy’s because I want to be a member. So far I haven’t found any that allowed Mr. Public to join. A few even require you be nominated or your name be submitted by a current member.

How’d you manage that? I’ve looked in to a lot of theses Academy’s because I want to be a member. So far I haven’t found any that allowed Mr. Public to join. A few even require you be nominated or your name be submitted by a current member.
I guess I should have stated I was talking about ones like the SAG awards and not the ones who do the academy awards.... I mean remember Not all 160,000 members of the actors' union SAG-AFTRA are also members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but the vast majority of the 1,302 actors who are voting members of the academy are members of the union.

I lost interest in all these self aggrandizing award shows years ago. Much of the music out there is run through a formula. Swift's music sounds like it was fed through a computer program to generate lyrics and put to the same basic sounds as every other one of her songs. Same for most of the other artists out there. I like country music, but it is often the same in that category as well. Once in a great while I will hear something that is truly unique, but that artist is unlikely to be in an awards show.

Top Bottom