What's new

Gotta love a Simpson re-knot!

OK, I'll grant you that Mark @ Simpsons is an interesting character, but I'll tell you what, they do some great work. My latest re-knot arrived from them today.

These are the before pics from the eBay listing

I don't have any of my own as I got it sent straight to Simpsons on the Isle of Man. This is what arrived in my mail box today

Magnificent, absolutely magnificent!

Most of the lap black was lost in the polishing out of the scratches but the butterscotch was retain. I have no idea how they managed that. Of course I only paid for teh re-knotting - this just happens!

I can't wait to try it - pity I have to wait till my birthday in March ...

Stunning, that looks brand new. You have some wait to see how it performs. I don't envy you there. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers.

That's beautiful, congrats on that... his teams really brought the life out of the handle again, love how the butterscotch is so deep in color, wonder if that's what it becomes many years down the road.

Stunning Mark, its a tough balance between polish, character and lamp black and I think you ended up with one heck of a brush. I have only done my own restorations so far because I want to preserve the lamp black as much as possible, but it usually ends up with a more variegated butterscotch patina and much less shine.

Excellent restore!! That looks great Mark. I have a certain brush I've been looking to restore myself. It's a BIG butterscotch boar brush that SOMEONE:D sold me that would look awesome with a new knot. Lol. Ah temptation.

Tempting is exactly right. Wow!

Mark, can you PM me with your email address or clear some space in your PM (your box is full)? I'd like to ask you a question outside the thread about a restoration issue your recent experience might help me decide. If the answer is suitable and I have your permission, I'll share it back to this thread. Thx.

Hi mate

Not sure why inbox is full and on on my mobile do cannot investigate. I'm not able to send a PM until I do but my email is ***********

Cheers

Mark

EDIT: forgot to renew my contributor status - fixed now!!!

Last edited:
Real nice, looks totally different.

So Simpson can and will re-knot brushes? For a fee I'm assuming. Is there somewhere I can find out more about this, I've checked their site.

Real nice, looks totally different.

So Simpson can and will re-knot brushes? For a fee I'm assuming. Is there somewhere I can find out more about this, I've checked their site.

Yep - absolutely superb job.

Just to answer a few questions I received via PM and email here in the thread to save me repeating myself and because I can't see any info on their website either :biggrin1:

What do you mean by 'I'll grant you that Mark @ Simpsons is an interesting character'?

I know that he is banned here and there are threads around if you search for them that give the reasons why and record some people's interactions and opinions about him. I've read some of them, don't understand the context and wasn't involved. I've got no opinion on those situations and can only reflect my dealings with Simpsons in the three or four brushes I've had re-knotted - all with great results as you can see with this one and on a couple I've had done previously shown here.

What is the cost?
I'm happy to tell you what I've paid in a PM but don't think it is appropriate here in the thread, yours might be different and cost more or less and obviously I can't speak on behalf of Simpson!

I've had three/four done and think it is reasonably priced - I'll be sending future vintage Simpson brushes to them. If you have a brush you want done I'd suggest you email Simpson some pics and the dimensions and ask. A Chubby re-knot is obviously more than one like this.

How long does it take?
I'd allow two weeks plus postage time (which is pretty quick from the UK I've found). If it is over Christmas or there is going to be a delay for some reason they will let you know. One time Mark was going to be away when the brush I was sending would arrive - he told me there would be a slight delay.

What is the process?
If you decide to proceed contact the Simpson via email - [email protected]. It may be helpful to send them pics so they know what is involved.

Ask them any questions you have and confirm what you want done. Some people may not have wanted this most recent brush polished for example. I did lose some of the lettering but thought it was worth it. Just be clear exactly what you want. If you want a particular loft etc let them know.

Take some before pics so you can enjoy the difference and make sure you post with tracking and proof of delivery. I've not lost anything but a nice vintage brush I would not like to lose. Enclose any instructions or requests with the brush as well to be sure.

Hopefully this information is helpful. Remember though that I'm not associated with Simpson and just relating my experiences - you need to contact them and work out your own arrangements!

Last edited:
Mark1966 kindly answered the price question for me in a pm. It was more reasonable than I expected. Thank you Mark. As to Mark W., I don't know anything about his history on B&B, but I had pleasant dealings with him on one of those other forums when I bought a limited edition brush (TSN P8 Phyl).

Top Bottom