What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

Well, I just received my STF XL in the mail today. I just set it into my handle and will take some pics once it has finished curing.

@muzichead A few follow-up thoughts/questions after having done it now. I did not end up using the nylon washer that you suggested - I kept playing with the washer to see how it looked and I just thought it looked much more natural without it. It kinda worked out as the knot was measuring 55mm from the top of the handle to the top of the knot without the spacer and I didn't think the extra mm was going to make a big difference, but I am a stubborn, albeit coachable newbie, so we will see haha.

Also, it was much more annoying trying to get the knot set in while maintaining the height of the o-ring on the cup of the knot than I thought it was haha.. it kept wanting to sit with one side of the o-ring higher than the other, finally I had to take a tiny flathead eyeglass screwdriver and tuck it in all the way around - but man were you right, the o-ring was a clever idea, it was totally snug and didn't budge when it was dry.. only wanted to give me issues when the bullets were flying and the silicone was in play haha. Any tips for that part of the process, or grunt and cuss through it? I still need to seal the ring around the base of the knot/top of the handle but will wait for it to cure in place since I think I finally got the o-ring to sit snug.

Finally, how long did you let it cure before first use? I cannot wait to try out this knot, it seems like a happy blend of the PAA synthetics, a Simpson sovereign, and a real badger brush.

Thanks again for the guidance and the tips!
Good on ya and glad it went well. As to the o-ring if the knot is set in silicone you shouldn't have a problem with the o-ring moving at all. Its a pretty snug fit inside there, but I have an idea you already know that... I put nothing on top of mine and its beel going great so far. I think I used mine around the 24hr mark of setting it.

Good on ya and glad it went well. As to the o-ring if the knot is set in silicone you shouldn't have a problem with the o-ring moving at all. Its a pretty snug fit inside there, but I have an idea you already know that... I put nothing on top of mine and its beel going great so far. I think I used mine around the 24hr mark of setting it.
Yes sir, it was more just the setting the knot in the silicone without having the o-ring slide higher up the cup of the knot while pushing it into the handle... it kept wanting to ride up and make it lopsided. Like you said, when it is flush, its not going anywhere.

I also could not wait that long haha. I got about 5 hours into the cure and was too curious and figured if it is set, it will be fine, if not I will just re-set it. The knot is going to be incredible, I can already tell. It was the best face lathering synthetic that I have used yet by far and I feel even worse paying $80 for my Chubby 2 Sovereign. I can't wait for it to get broken in.

Apologies, these are my first SOTD-esque pictures in the hobby.. I am realizing I will need a lot of work on that front haha

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    830.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    922.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2383.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Here are some pics of it in the sunlight in my office, couldn't pass up the lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpeg
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom