What's new

Gotta brag about a company that really gets it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Many folk here are likely familiar with Galloway Precision products but let me tell you about just how amazing the company really is.

As many here might know I'm a proponent of the small 32acp "pocket" pistols (although maybe not today's pockets) and one of my most often carried and longest owned 32acps, my Beretta "New Puma" Model 70.

Long long ago in a time far far away right after getting married for the first time I bought a Beretta Model 70 in 22LR. The year was 1967 and the location was Greensboro Georgia and the time was the lead up to the Summer the Cities Burned. The Greensboro Massacre was still a decade or so in the future but there were still billboards on the edges of some towns advising folk of a certain color to not be seen on the street past 6pm and signed by the local sheriff. My new wife was teaching art in the all black junior high south of the tracks and found on her first day that the sum total of her art supplies for the semester was a dried out 50 pound block of clay, that half of the lights in her classroom didn't work, most of the windows didn't open and the water in the sink had a fall like color.

The Beretta was fun, reliable, easy to shoot but truly anemic so I almost immediately traded it back in on the 32acp version. Great gun, perfect fit, came with two magazines and a couple boxes of ammo and had a slick cross-bolt safety.

70-03-small.gif

Fast forward and finally at the range the other day the finger extension base plate on one magazine jess come part and the spring launched the pieces parts into another dimension. I was lucky, found most of the unused rounds, the spring, the follower, the inner base plate but only one part of the finger extension base plate that held everything together.

So the search started to find a replacement base plate. All the likely suspects, Numrich, Bobs, Midway, Gun Mag Warehouse had nothing. There were a few after market magazines available but at $40.00 and up. Contacted Beretta and was told they had no parts for something that old.

I contacted as many aftermarket pieces parts makers as I could remember with no luck.

Then Eric from Galloway Precision dropped me an email.

"Oh man, your dragging me in to preservation work on a piece of history!!! Can you send me the damaged one to measure and I'll print you a 3D carbon fiber replacement? I'll send both back of course but I will need the stock one to get all the radius info off."

I explained that most of the base plate was in another dimension and I'd send the remaining original magazine as well as the pieces parts I did find and would that be okay?

His reply was simple. "Sure but use FedEx or UPS instead of USPS."

So I gathered up all the stuff and found a small sturdy box and packing material ...

... and a baggie with some CZ 50 7.65 magazines and an extra finger extension base plate.

It fit like a glass slipper.

So I dropped him a thank you email and brought him up to date on the saga but how many companies today would even consider doing something like that with no mention of recompense or liability or anything, just "sure, great, I can do that."

But if Galloway ever makes a trigger for my two P290RS pistols you know who will be first in line to buy them.

70-01small.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Thank you for that great story, or is it, "stories?"

It's amazing this all happened in our lifetime.
Yeah but I totally screwed it up.

Greensboro, North Carolina, not Georgia. Didn't move to Georgia until Arizona and California.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am always amazed at how most people have lived in multiple places. I am a little jealous, but mostly happy that I have been blessed to live on my "homestead" for my entire life thus far.

We are now in the process of deciding if we want to make this home more "aging" friendly or build elsewhere on the property. Plusses and minuses to both plans.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I am always amazed at how most people have lived in multiple places. I am a little jealous, but mostly happy that I have been blessed to live on my "homestead" for my entire life thus far.

We are now in the process of deciding if we want to make this home more "aging" friendly or build elsewhere on the property. Plusses and minuses to both plans.
I was designing cable television systems back then and so moved from one location to the next franchise. Designed systems in North & South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, Idaho, Arizona, California and Peurto Rico IIRC. May have missed a few states. It was a great experience since we were all always doing stuff that had never been done before.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

I’ve lived in Texas, Michigan, and now Indiana. If you’d asked me 10yrs ago I would have said I’m never leaving Texas but Michigan is really calling me back.

If you decide to remodel or build new for your vintage years let me know. I’ve had a career pulling people out of homes and have some good ideas. Did you know the hardest spot to remove some from from is that little 1ft space in between the toilet and wall. I’ve pulled more folks out of there that all other areas in the house combined.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve lived in Texas, Michigan, and now Indiana. If you’d asked me 10yrs ago I would have said I’m never leaving Texas but Michigan is really calling me back.

If you decide to remodel or build new for your vintage years let me know. I’ve had a career pulling people out of homes and have some good ideas. Did you know the hardest spot to remove some from from is that little 1ft space in between the toilet and wall. I’ve pulled more folks out of there that all other areas in the house combined.
I may make you sorry you offered that my friend.

We heat with wood, 90+% of the time anyway, and my plan is to remove almost all the interior walls. It's just the two of us. Lots of rooms don't get visited for WEEKS at a time. One of my goals this winter is get it drawn up, maybe do some drafting. NOTHING is sacred. I don't care about resale value, as I'm leaving the headache to my estate, who is God and my only begotten basically.

Those 4 folks can fight it out.

Top Bottom