What's new

Got me a Damaskeene.

Picked up a cased Damaskeene 1912, and I have a few questions. 1. Does this case look like an original case?2. The handle seems to have a ton of rust on it, do these handles rust? I know many safety razors especially Gillette DE's do not3. How should I remove what ever it is? Scrubbing bubbles (my usual cleaning routine) doesn't seem to be doing the trick, but it is really caked on there, so it may just take some time.4. Does anyone make custom handles for 1912 style SE's, if so who?Thanks for any input! I can't wait to try this one out, my 1912 has always been a great razor!!

Attachments

• $damaskeene 2.jpg
    $damaskeene 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 200
  • $Damaskeene.jpg
    $Damaskeene.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I would try Naval Jelly to remove the rust. Most hardware and auto parts stores carry it. You'll still need to work it into the knurling of the handel with a tooth brush. It will likely rust again, unless you dry it well. The Damaskeene is my favorite razor. Enjoy it!

If you have the cash I am sure it could be replated.

I would try Naval Jelly to remove the rust. Most hardware and auto parts stores carry it. You'll still need to work it into the knurling of the handel with a tooth brush. It will likely rust again, unless you dry it well. The Damaskeene is my favorite razor. Enjoy it!

If you have the cash I am sure it could be replated.
I'll have to try that! Thanks!

Contact B&B member cooncatbob @ Bob's Razor works for a Handle; https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles

I wasn't sure if he did them for SE's or not, that sounds dangerous ge makes some really cool stuff, I'll have to look into that.

Let us know if you figure out a way to clean that handle, I have an old Enders SE that has similar rust on the handle. It's more of a curiosity than something I'll shave with so I don't intend to spend tons of money making it look like new.

Interesting razor, I don't recall seeing a Damaskeene handle with two rings around the bottom like that. Does it say Gem Cutlery or Gem Safety Razor Corp on the back of the head? I've tried enlarging it but can't make it out.

My Damaskeene handle doesn't have the rings either. The Damaskeene handle will rust, as it made of steel like the early Everready 1914 handles.

-Clarke

I'm not sure that Naval Jelly is the answer. Some of those products contain some phosphates which convert rust from an iron oxide to a phosphate which resists rusting more. Downside is that they are a dull grey-black color.

I think for a first atttempt I would get a new stiff toothbrush and use some toothpaste, or a polishing compound like flitz, maybe even automotive rubbing compound and work it over real good and see what happens. When you get it where you want it wash, dry and apply a bit of spray silicone which will temporarily stop further rust. Wax or more silicone will slow the rusting process.

Interesting razor, I don't recall seeing a Damaskeene handle with two rings around the bottom like that. Does it say Gem Cutlery or Gem Safety Razor Corp on the back of the head? I've tried enlarging it but can't make it out.

Here's a picture of the back, it says Gem Safety razor corp Brooklyn New York made in USA.

$IMG-20111216-00157.jpg

I'm not sure that Naval Jelly is the answer. Some of those products contain some phosphates which convert rust from an iron oxide to a phosphate which resists rusting more. Downside is that they are a dull grey-black color.

I think for a first atttempt I would get a new stiff toothbrush and use some toothpaste, or a polishing compound like flitz, maybe even automotive rubbing compound and work it over real good and see what happens. When you get it where you want it wash, dry and apply a bit of spray silicone which will temporarily stop further rust. Wax or more silicone will slow the rusting process.

I'll have to give that a try!

Last edited:
OK, that's a later model Damaskeene after it became the Gem Safety Razor Corporation. Waits shows an ad from the 1922 Montgomery Ward catalog that shows a new Gem Deluxe Outfit that came with 5 Gem Damaskeene blades in a nickel plated, velevt lined case for 91 cents so I'd say there's a good chance that's the original case.

If you can't clean the rust off you can always have it replated.

OK, that's a later model Damaskeene after it became the Gem Safety Razor Corporation. Waits shows an ad from the 1922 Montgomery Ward catalog that shows a new Gem Deluxe Outfit that came with 5 Gem Damaskeene blades in a nickel plated, velevt lined case for 91 cents so I'd say there's a good chance that's the original case.

Is there any difference in the way that this model is built? or are the heads similar? Also, good to know that it is more than likely original, I don't know why I didn't look at Wait's, I do have it.

Last edited:

i cant recall that case or handle.....

I've got a couple with the Gem Safety Razor Corp name and the only difference I see is that the top plate is bevelled, or tapered at the end where it meets the comb, the earlier ones don't have that taper.

Is there any difference in the way that this model is built? or are the heads similar? Also, good to know that it is more than likely original, I don't know why I didn't look at Wait's, I do have it.

Top Bottom