What's new

Got Bic Chrome blades today - wow!

congrats on the find.. BICs are hit and miss for me.. a HUGE hit in the Muhle Rocca V4 razors, if you have a Rocca, chuck one in you will love it

I also have a DE89 at home I rarely use as I find it too mild, Gonna try a BIC in it next and see how we go.. cheers

Reactions: nav
Congratulations on getting the Bic's!
They're sharper than Feathers after the first or second shave. And you'll notice it!
Difference is that the Feathers get harsh but the Bic's get smoother. I no longer use Feather!
The Bic's are in my top 3 favorite blades list!

This is what works for me and they're the only blades I need:

Mild razor=Bic's (Super sharp but stays smooth)
Medium aggressive razor=German made Wilkinson Sword (Almost as sharp and very smooth)
Aggressive razor=Gillette Platinum (Sharp enough & the King of smooth)
I've never found Feathers harsh but I read that a lot online. I got some Platinums but they haven't wowed me yet. I remember some years back when Wilkinson's were dished online. I always thought they were pretty decent. I still don't do much blade/razor matching. Never really have. Maybe it's because I'm not usually paying much attention to the the blade/razor combo specifically as opposed to making sure I get a decent shave. I pay more attention to lather/slickness than other things,

congrats on the find.. BICs are hit and miss for me.. a HUGE hit in the Muhle Rocca V4 razors, if you have a Rocca, chuck one in you will love it

I also have a DE89 at home I rarely use as I find it too mild, Gonna try a BIC in it next and see how we go.. cheers
I'm a mild razor fan. Always have been so I suspect these will be fine in my other razors.

BiC's have long been in my top favorite blades. They're cheaper than Feathers and have much more longevity.

New SC with BiC Blades.jpg

I've never found Feathers harsh but I read that a lot online. I got some Platinums but they haven't wowed me yet.
Forgot to add:
As always YMMV!
I've experimented so much already with trying different blades and have only discovered that my results are uniquely mine. Every time I read somebody's results here, they never match mine, LOL!!

I'm a mild razor fan. Always have been so I suspect these will be fine in my other razors.

just bought another 200 BICs to add to the stash of 400 odd I have at home.. just had to see this topic lol

def gonna try one in the DE89 tomorrow and see how it goes, will let you know

just bought another 200 BICs to add to the stash of 400 odd I have at home.. just had to see this topic lol

def gonna try one in the DE89 tomorrow and see how it goes, will let you know
I shall be curious to hear your results. FYI, while I have the best part of a full beard on my face (meaning not too many skimpy areas), I do not have, I believe, very challenging whiskers in that my beard is not coarse or wiry. Useful info to see how we might compare with the same blade and razor. I also shave daily.

Just this moment, I grabbed another 100 of them. $11 is cheap!

Forgot to add:
As always YMMV!
I've experimented so much already with trying different blades and have only discovered that my results are uniquely mine. Every time I read somebody's results here, they never match mine, LOL!!
Ain't it the truth! We're all the same yet completely different.

I shall be curious to hear your results. FYI, while I have the best part of a full beard on my face (meaning not too many skimpy areas), I do not have, I believe, very challenging whiskers in that my beard is not coarse or wiry. Useful info to see how we might compare with the same blade and razor. I also shave daily.

Just this moment, I grabbed another 100 of them. $11 is cheap!

$16 here in Oz for 100.. still cheap though

for reference, I have a full coverage beard with strong whiskers and I strive for BBS every shave with at least one ATG pass.. so this will be quite the test

Reactions: CCS
I switched to BIC about a year ago, it's my daily blade.

The blackbird I got 6 months ago has made a sublime combo with the BIC and it's now my daily go to combo.

I like the BIC so much, I stocked up on 3500 of them. That's about 45 years worth at 5 shaves per blade.

I have only shaved with 2? Astors and would say they are the same. @ivan_101 says they are completely different and I am confused :)
Sharpness-wise a small difference. Maybe the Bic is a touch sharper. The Astors are rougher definitely to my skin. Have tried to make them work in different razors for the last 15 years, but gave up.

I hated BIC for a decade, it yelded me painful results when paired with EJ DE89 razor, the only one I had. I got the misconception they are rough.

Now I tried this blade again, OMG, already ordered another 300 ones, paired with the right razor it's a delight to shave with them.

All of a sudden I feel inadequate with 600 😎

600 was only my FIRST bulk order.
Followed by many, many more.

I have a box of 5 , I don't have the courage to open, I fear the bloodbath 😐

In the right razor, you'll hardly know the blade is there and yet, end up with glass-like smoothness!

How do the BIC Chromes compare to the BIC Astors?

I've got a couple of astors which I'll be trying in my blackbird at next blade change.
Will update this these with my findings.

I hated BIC for a decade, it yelded me painful results when paired with EJ DE89 razor, the only one I had. I got the misconception they are rough.

Now I tried this blade again, OMG, already ordered another 300 ones, paired with the right razor it's a delight to shave with them.

Nice!
This was exactly my finding!
In which razor did they work for you?

Nice!
This was exactly my finding!
In which razor did they work for you?
Actually they are versatile blades that works well in milder or more aggressive razors.

Very good on Gillette TECHs, Superspeed (flare tip, red tip, blue tip), Gillette adjustables, Feather AS-D2, Muhle Rocca, among others.

They just didn't work on EJ89 head type design, for my beard and skin.

Actually they are versatile blades that works well in milder or more aggressive razors.

Very good on Gillette TECHs, Superspeed (flare tip, red tip, blue tip), Gillette adjustables, Feather AS-D2, Muhle Rocca, among others.

They just didn't work on EJ89 head type design, for my beard and skin.

For me, they totally failed in higher gap razors like ATT H1, Tatara Nodachi, Timeless 95, Karve D, Yates H.
The blades felt incredibly rough, that they got binned immediately!

Then I tried them in the Merkur Progress and pearl flexi at medium settings and I was immediately blown away!

In razors with a moderate gap but big blade bend was also great (e.g. Rocca).

But the BIC in blackbird absolutely blew me away. So much so that it has been my daily combo for nearly 6 months.

Last edited:
I switched to BIC about a year ago, it's my daily blade.

The blackbird I got 6 months ago has made a sublime combo with the BIC and it's now my daily go to combo.

I like the BIC so much, I stocked up on 3500 of them. That's about 45 years worth at 5 shaves per blade.
That's a lot

Top Bottom