What's new

Got Bic Chrome blades today - wow!

I've only tried a couple of Astor blades and they might have been from a bad batch, but I find them nearly as sharp as the yellow Bics, but very harsh and I just can't get a comfortable shave no matter the razor I use. As always - YMMV.

I got two BIC chromes in a sampler pack recently and was really impressed with my first go. It was on my stock up list but I just happened to find a huge deal on another blade I found worked well for me. I’ll definitely be getting more BICs though.

Reactions: nav
Better how? Please explain your claim.
To me, it feels like they are just as sharp as the BIC Yellows but a tad bit smoother. I can feel the blade edge with the yellows, but it feels like it disappears for the Astors on the Karve SB-C. Perhaps better is too strong of a word because someone might be compelled to use pressure if they cant feel the blade, but I'm used to it 4 shaves in and I might prefer it over the Yellows now.

Finally got around to trying a Bic Chrome today. I used it in my FOCS and my face is glassy smooth. I hate to say it, but I think it was a teeny bit better than my beloved Nacets... in this razor at least.

Reactions: nav
hey mate... when you mentioned width, i took it as a measurement between sharp edge to sharp edge, is this what you meant?

was a bit hard to get perfect accuracy due to the thin blades bending between caliper ends and the unit accuracy but should be pretty close

BIC 21.85
Wizamet 21.95
Polsilver 21.95
Feather 21.95
GSB 21.8
Gillette 7'Oclock SE 21.90
German Wilkie 22.00
Persona Platinum 21.90
Nacet 21.90
Minora 21.95
This is very interesting and may help explain what I experience with Bic Chrome blades. For me they are extremely mild and gentle, but it takes a lot of work to get a really close shave with them. At least when I buff a lot with Bics my skin isn’t irritated, but I generally prefer a much more effective blade than these - I generally like Personnas and Kais the most; Feathers also work very well for me (but don’t last for a third shave); Gillettes are ok for me, average, nothing special.

Even in a Blackbird, using a Bic blade turns it into a rather mild and not very efficient razor on my hair, which I find to be an extreme effect given how efficient and agressive the Blackbird usually is for me. I’ve also noticed that the effective angle of my razors is noticeably narrower when I use Bics. So to learn that Bic blades may be less wide and may reduce blade exposure makes a lot of sense to me. I also think I find Bic blades more prone to chatter than other blades - is that possible, and could they be thinner too?

I don’t mind Bics, the gentleness on my skin is a big positive, but they don’t really cut through my hair effectively enough for my preference. I am finding this thread interesting because it seems that the performance of these blades varies dramatically from one person to another. Such widely varying results even leave me wondering if perhaps the Bics sold in different countries might be different specifications, but all packaged the same. I don’t know how to explain all the reports in this thread and my own experience. FWIW, the Bics I have were purchased from Italy.

Last edited:
This is very interesting and may help explain what I experience with Bic Chrome blades. For me they are extremely mild and gentle, but it takes a lot of work to get a really close shave with them. At least when I buff a lot with Bics my skin isn’t irritated, but I generally prefer a much more effective blade than these - I generally like Personnas and Kais the most; Feathers also work very well for me (but don’t last for a third shave); Gillettes are ok for me, average, nothing special.

Even in a Blackbird, using a Bic blade turns it into a rather mild and not very efficient razor on my hair, which I find to be an extreme effect given how efficient and agressive the Blackbird usually is for me. I’ve also noticed that the effective angle of my razors is noticeably narrower when I use Bics. So to learn that Bic blades may be less wide and may reduce blade exposure makes a lot of sense to me. I also think I find Bic blades more prone to chatter than other blades - is that possible, and could they be thinner too?

I don’t mind Bics, the gentleness on my skin is a big positive, but they don’t really cut through my hair effectively enough for my preference. I am finding this thread interesting because it seems that the performance of these blades varies dramatically from one person to another. Such widely varying results even leave me wondering if perhaps the Bics sold in different countries might be different specifications, but all packaged the same. I don’t know how to explain all the reports in this thread and my own experience. FWIW, the Bics I have were purchased from Italy.

I used the BIC in a blackbird recently and for me they were very sharp (as I always find them) but also super smooth. One of the most efficient and comfortable shaves I have ever had.

I also find the different opinions on same blades interesting

I used the BIC in a blackbird recently and for me they were very sharp (as I always find them) but also super smooth. One of the most efficient and comfortable shaves I have ever had.

Or perhaps it’s not a lack of sharpness, but something else that makes the Bics less effective for me. Everyone says the Bics are sharp and I don’t doubt it. Maybe they have less rigidity / thickness and don’t cut thicker hairs as effectively, even if the edge is very sharp. I don’t know; I’m only guessing. The Blackbird doesn’t clamp the blade as rigidly as some other razors so that could exacerbate something like this.

At least we both found them very comfortable. They are exceptionally comfortable blades for me.

Last edited:

I also find the differing opinions quite fascinating. Based on this thread I ordered some BIC CPs and shaved today (head shave) using one in my RR GameChanger .68. I cut myself twice lol. Shave was otherwise smooth, and the blade seemed nice and sharp so no idea why the cuts. I have been using Personna Lab Blues or a few others lately with no issues. I'll try the BIC again soon and try and pay closer attention.

I opened a new Bic today and used it in my 1961 Tech. Stupidly good shave. Great match with a Tech. I'll have to give it a run in my war era Tech (triangular slots) which is a bit more aggressive than the Ball Ends, at least in my limited experience with different era of Techs.

Second use of the Bic Chrome in my FOCS today proved to me that they do sharpen up after the first shave. I was playing a bit fast and loose as I consider this a medium aggressive razor. Ended up with some weepers, and a nick on my upper lip, but an amazingly smooth face.

I'm gonna have to try all my blades in my recently acquired vintage Gillette open combs. I'm thinking the Bic will perform quite well.

I've still only used a few of the Bics (so many other brands in rotation) and have been very pleased with them. They seem to be good for 3-5 shaves (while I just shave my face, I'm obsessive about BBS so I may take more passes and do more touch-ups than some). It seems all my blades are good for about 3-5 shaves. But having about 1600-1700 blades and being my age, I'll toss them maybe a bit earlier than others. ;)

I've still only used a few of the Bics (so many other brands in rotation) and have been very pleased with them. They seem to be good for 3-5 shaves (while I just shave my face, I'm obsessive about BBS so I may take more passes and do more touch-ups than some). It seems all my blades are good for about 3-5 shaves. But having about 1600-1700 blades and being my age, I'll toss them maybe a bit earlier than others. ;)

I the same.. obsessive with BBS and usually do two ATGs to get there which limits my blades to 3-4 uses but there so cheap and life is too short to try stretch it out

From memory, GSB blades were smooth and fairly sharp...

I used one yesterday after a very long time and the result was very disappointing!

The BIC has spoilt me! I really can't use any other blade. Even my Wizamet stash hardly gets used (perhaps 1 Wizamet for every 5 BIC).

Top Bottom