What's new

Got Bic Chrome blades today - wow!

It's interesting with the above comments about the DE89 as that's the very razor I used that was enough to prompt me starting this thread. And I will use it again today.

So I showered and shaved earlier using the same DE89 and Bic blade for shave #2. This time, I used T&H Trafalgar cream with my T&H (Rooney) silvertip brush. This is a very dense brush and requires a fair bit of water to get the lather right. I had to keep working on that to get to the slickness I need. Regardless, the shave equaled yesterdays' in spite of fussing with the lather during my usual three passes and touch ups. In the end, without going into the post shave routine, it was a second outstanding BBS shave from this combo. I mentioned either in this thread or another that I bought a second 100 of these Bics. For $11? Fuhgeddiboudit!

So I got out my DE89 and loaded up with a fresh BIC.. this razor was my first ever DE purchase so holds sentimental value.

The shave was smooth as the DE89 always is and the BIC certainly brought the sharpness to the shave. In saying that after four passes, two of which were ATG plus touch ups I still didnt achieve BBS, but a respectable DFS+

This isnt a drawback on the blade but rather the mild razor, if anything the BIC in it is testament to how well it performed considering I got no issues with burn or irritation after so many passes. Reckon I will start trying this blade in my other razors and see how it preforms but so far, it excels with the Rocca V4 razors, which I would class as mid efficient

SOTD

20220901_080447b.jpg

So I got out my DE89 and loaded up with a fresh BIC.. this razor was my first ever DE purchase so holds sentimental value.

The shave was smooth as the DE89 always is and the BIC certainly brought the sharpness to the shave. In saying that after four passes, two of which were ATG plus touch ups I still didnt achieve BBS, but a respectable DFS+

This isnt a drawback on the blade but rather the mild razor, if anything the BIC in it is testament to how well it performed considering I got no issues with burn or irritation after so many passes. Reckon I will start trying this blade in my other razors and see how it preforms but so far, it excels with the Rocca V4 razors, which I would class as mid efficient

SOTD

View attachment 1514869
Well, you said you had a manly beard. I shaved the same way earlier only with a different soap and brush and got as good a BBS as yesterday with the same razor and blade with three passes and detail work. I put the blade in my war era fat handle Tech to see what happens on shave #3 with a different razor tomorrow.

For me, they totally failed in higher gap razors like ATT H1, Tatara Nodachi, Timeless 95, Karve D, Yates H.
The blades felt incredibly rough, that they got binned immediately!

Then I tried them in the Merkur Progress and pearl flexi at medium settings and I was immediately blown away!

In razors with a moderate gap but big blade bend was also great (e.g. Rocca).

But the BIC in blackbird absolutely blew me away. So much so that it has been my daily combo for nearly 6 months.

I also tried these in my Timeless 95 and didnt care for them at all. Reckon I will be testing these out on a few of my other razors now if they perform well I might start stocking up an arsenal like you have, probably not to that extent though 😎

In regards to your blackbird comment, it sort of made me start looking around and think I may well be in the market for a blackbird myself.. was going to go for a WR1 to complement my WR2 but after a bit of reading I have found these are quite popular.

Can I ask what material BB you have? Ti or SS? have you tried both and if so which do you prefer and why? From what I am hearing the Ti version is considerably smoother but I do prefer a razor with weight. One really important aspect is how does the BB shave ATG? ATG is a must for me and little concerned with its positive blade feel the ATG pass might be too much?

Reactions: nav
I also tried these in my Timeless 95 and didnt care for them at all. Reckon I will be testing these out on a few of my other razors now if they perform well I might start stocking up an arsenal like you have, probably not to that extent though 😎

In regards to your blackbird comment, it sort of made me start looking around and think I may well be in the market for a blackbird myself.. was going to go for a WR1 to complement my WR2 but after a bit of reading I have found these are quite popular.

Can I ask what material BB you have? Ti or SS? have you tried both and if so which do you prefer and why? From what I am hearing the Ti version is considerably smoother but I do prefer a razor with weight. One really important aspect is how does the BB shave ATG? ATG is a must for me and little concerned with its positive blade feel the ATG pass might be too much?

I have the SS blackbird.
I dislike lightweight razors like aluminium and titanium.

The comments about titanium smoothness must be from people for whom the blade feel from the BB is a bit much and the titanium helps to reduce that feel, hence making it "smoother".

Blackland have confirmed both versions are exactly the same razor, just different materials.

I would very highly recommend the blackbird. It's so effortless and yet, super efficient. I get better efficiency from it compared to even Yates H, karve F, Timeless 95 and other larger gap razors.

With the added bonus of zero skin inflammation, which large gap razors cause me!

Blackbird + BIC yellow...HEAVENLY!!

(Will be trying the BIC Astor tomorrow)

I have the SS blackbird.
I dislike lightweight razors like aluminium and titanium.

The comments about titanium smoothness must be from people for whom the blade feel from the BB is a bit much and the titanium helps to reduce that feel, hence making it "smoother".

Blackland have confirmed both versions are exactly the same razor, just different materials.

I would very highly recommend the blackbird. It's so effortless and yet, super efficient. I get better efficiency from it compared to even Yates H, karve F, Timeless 95 and other larger gap razors.

With the added bonus of zero skin inflammation, which large gap razors cause me!

Blackbird + BIC yellow...HEAVENLY!!

(Will be trying the BIC Astor tomorrow)

Timeless 95 is efficient but I would rate the WR2 1.25 as considerably more efficient, the lupo 95 is prob more that the T95 also.. have you tried a wolfman before to compare the Blackbird against? I had my heart set on a WR1 and even recently got back onto the list for one but came across your comments re BB and now I am not sure.

Following forum topics on the BB and some other members comments I take quite literally I believe the BB would be the way to go and if you are praising the BIC yellow along with it then I reckon that's what I should do.. on the positive side i can order today with express and get it to Australia in a week or so..

so just to confirm, you can go ATG without issue on the BB? and can you use it as daily driver?

Timeless 95 is efficient but I would rate the WR2 1.25 as considerably more efficient, the lupo 95 is prob more that the T95 also.. have you tried a wolfman before to compare the Blackbird against? I had my heart set on a WR1 and even recently got back onto the list for one but came across your comments re BB and now I am not sure.

Following forum topics on the BB and some other members comments I take quite literally I believe the BB would be the way to go and if you are praising the BIC yellow along with it then I reckon that's what I should do.. on the positive side i can order today with express and get it to Australia in a week or so..

so just to confirm, you can go ATG without issue on the BB? and can you use it as daily driver?

I haven't used a Wolfman unfortunately.
Yeah, I use the BB for my daily 4 pass shave...
W, X, A, A.
Zero skin issues, glass-like finish!

I haven't used a Wolfman unfortunately.
Yeah, I use the BB for my daily 4 pass shave...
W, X, A, A.
Zero skin issues, glass-like finish!

that's the exact pass regime I stick to W X A A.. I sent you a pm to take this offline and not hijack the thread.. another razor has been thrown into the mix at the 11th hour

Reactions: nav
Amaizing blade, when it's good
Better than Nacet, when it's good
Sharper than Frather, when it's good
Very smooth, when it's good
Stays sharp for long time, when it's good
And cheap, very cheap, when it's good
But when it's bad, oh boy, worst blade ever
IME, around 30% of them were bad, like a saw blade, after first stroke they would scratch my face, like a cat, red lines were showing on my face. Even from same tuck. And that is why I have stopped using them. I find them unperdictibe

IME, around 30% of them were bad, like a saw blade, after first stroke they would scratch my face, like a cat, red lines were showing on my face. Even from same tuck. And that is why I have stopped using them. I find them unperdictibe

I bought mine from a distributor and haven't had a dud blade out of 200+.

I wonder if it may be due to storage or shipping that are damaging certain batches of blades.

Other than that, the only time I've experienced the saw-like behaviour is either using the BIC in an unsuitable razor or my skin was dry/unhappy, in which case the BIC really emphasised the rough feeling.
The exact same blade was then butter smooth when my skin was conditioned.

BIC CP blades are indeed known for their inconsistency in some batches and some folks were fortunate to have stumbled upon dud blades and for them the BIC CP blades are terrible. The reason why I like them is because they work amazingly good in some razors like my Fatip razors, but they don't work great in others.

Reactions: Kix
Forget all those spiffy modern razor wannabes and cut thru the chaff & get a vintage. The Gillette Tech is a solid choice that works with numerous blades, and has a design by men from a bygone era who knew what they were doing. The Tech was made since the mid 1930's because it works. It is often imitated, but not always duplicated.
20200603_093907.jpg

Reactions: edw
I’ll pass. Way too inconsistent. The first 100 pack I bought was all duds. The second single pack given to me as a gift was ok but not as smooth or sharp like my usual go to blades.

I have used just one BiC CP blade so far and it was fantastic! I have another one that have yet to use so it will be interesting to see if it is consistent with the first one.

What was said about the BiC CP blades, I find that also is true with the German Wilkinson Sword blades. I have tried five blades and they all felt different from each other. They ranged from a dud to a great blade. I wish manufactures pay more attention to QC and work on making their blades consistent!

Finished my shave with the Bic on shave #3 but in a war era fat handle Tech today. Again, lazy, so cold water splash as prep. Brand new jar of PdP #63 (I've used their original formula for many years), Pro Pro boar brush, got the lather right and went to work. Honestly, I got the same great shave as the last two with the Jagger DE89 but had to work a wee bit harder for it. No complaints about the blade but for this particular Bic, it's three and done. Noticed my neck was a bit hotter while doing the alum rinse but that's not really on the blade, that's on me; spent a little too much time in a couple troublesome spots. The blade felt sharp and no roughness. We'll see what happens with the next one which will go into razors I haven't tried it with yet.

Finished my shave with the Bic on shave #3 but in a war era fat handle Tech today. Again, lazy, so cold water splash as prep. Brand new jar of PdP #63 (I've used their original formula for many years), Pro Pro boar brush, got the lather right and went to work. Honestly, I got the same great shave as the last two with the Jagger DE89 but had to work a wee bit harder for it. No complaints about the blade but for this particular Bic, it's three and done. Noticed my neck was a bit hotter while doing the alum rinse but that's not really on the blade, that's on me; spent a little too much time in a couple troublesome spots. The blade felt sharp and no roughness. We'll see what happens with the next one which will go into razors I haven't tried it with yet.

If you haven't thrown out the blade yet, switch it back to the DE89 and see how it performs.

Perhaps the tech is just too mild, which forced you to work to much and get that burn.
The blade seems OK from the sounds of it.

Top Bottom