What's new

Goooood shavers!

Below is the Gem Damaskene with a newly attached fat black handle. Gives a better shave, imo, than either the more common 1912 or any Micromatics I've tried. I believe it's the slightly curved hood that does it. Anyway, between getting this razor and finding better blades than the Gem Stainless (that'd be Treets), I now have an SE back in my rotation after forever swearing off them a year ago.

If you're looking for an SE, do yourself the favor of finding either a Damaksene or the Ever-Ready that says LIFT HERE on the sides of the hood...not sure exactly what name/model this one is but it's almost the same shaped hood and about the same fine shave as the Damaskene. With a good quality blade, you'll love either one.

EDIT: added last pic of the Ever-Ready with a better handle.

Last edited:
Sure can, but some are better than others. The majority here say Ted Pella. They're probably right, as I've not tried them yet. But between what I can get locally, Treets, Blue Star and Gem Stainless, I'd go with Treets first, Blue Star second, and my SEs in a drawer if I had nothing but Gem Stainless.

Thank you for the info!! I can"t wait to try it!! The reason why I asked is because the things on the inside of the razor to hook the blade onto appear to be in a different place than some of the other Gem razors I have seen.

I passed one of these up last week at a St. Petersburg antique shop while visiting my folks in Florida . . . it had plating wear on the top cap and just didn't "grab" my fancy . . .

It was only $3.50 and I probably should have picked it up.

For any Tampa Bay area guys, it was at Park St. Antique Mall on Bay Pines Blvd almost across from the VA Medical Center . . . (Alt. 19 North just a few blocks past Tyrone Mall before you get to Seminole Blvd.)

Thank you for the info!! I can"t wait to try it!! The reason why I asked is because the things on the inside of the razor to hook the blade onto appear to be in a different place than some of the other Gem razors I have seen.

Which one do you have? The Ever-Ready's clips are on the sides as well as on the bottom above the grill, while (as you can see in pic) the Damaskene's are only at the bottom. But they both hold the blade quite securely (the ER a bit more so, 4 clips instead of 2).

That twinkliness is nice, ain't it? :001_smile

I passed one of these up last week at a St. Petersburg antique shop while visiting my folks in Florida . . . it had plating wear on the top cap and just didn't "grab" my fancy . . .

It was only $3.50 and I probably should have picked it up.

For any Tampa Bay area guys, it was at Park St. Antique Mall on Bay Pines Blvd almost across from the VA Medical Center . . . (Alt. 19 North just a few blocks past Tyrone Mall before you get to Seminole Blvd.)

Seriously, this is one of only two razors I'd DEFINITELY pay to have replated. The other is my all-brass Diplomat. The rest of my axes can all go to brass and I wouldn't bother with fixing them.

Are your folks able to pick it up for you?

Which one do you have? The Ever-Ready's clips are on the sides as well as on the bottom above the grill, while (as you can see in pic) the Damaskene's are only at the bottom. But they both hold the blade quite securely (the ER a bit more so, 4 clips instead of 2).

That twinkliness is nice, ain't it? :001_smile

I have the Damaskeene with the two clips at the bottom. Twinliness is awesome!!!

Last edited:
I have the Damaskeene with the two clips at the bottom. Twinliness is awesome!!!

When you've used it, and feel comfy doing so, we should post a review of it...I don't think there's a Damaskene review over yonder yet.

When you've used it, and feel comfy doing so, we should post a review of it...I don't think there's a Damaskene review over yonder yet.

I definitely will. I have to order some blades for it. I only have de blades right now. Thank you again , for your help.

I definitely will. I have to order some blades for it. I only have de blades right now. Thank you again , for your help.

You're next door to me, you should have Rite Aid. They're the only ones here with Treets. If you buy and don't like 'em, I'll take 'em off your hands. :thumbup1: Have a good night...

You're next door to me, you should have Rite Aid. They're the only ones here with Treets. If you buy and don't like 'em, I'll take 'em off your hands. :thumbup1: Have a good night...

That sounds great !! I have several Rite Aids nearby. Have a good night , as well , Don.

Seriously, this is one of only two razors I'd DEFINITELY pay to have replated. The other is my all-brass Diplomat. The rest of my axes can all go to brass and I wouldn't bother with fixing them.

Are your folks able to pick it up for you?

No, sadly every time they get near the VA center it is because Pappy is not doing well . . .

I know there are some members in the St. Pete/Clearwater area . . . my loss, their gain. Hope someone gets in there and grabs it.

As I recall, it was in a booth next to the guy with all the classic Coca-Cola stuff. I should have grabbed it, but SWMBO and Jethro (my son who never stops eating) were ready to leave . . . and I decided to pass!

I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these. I have no experience with one, but I do have experience with the Treet blades from Rite Aid. I use them in my 1912 and Micromatic. I like them a lot, especially in the Micromatic. It's a serious whisker whacking combo.

I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these. I have no experience with one, but I do have experience with the Treet blades from Rite Aid. I use them in my 1912 and Micromatic. I like them a lot, especially in the Micromatic. It's a serious whisker whacking combo.

I'll keep my eye out at the antique malls around here. If one comes up, I'll let it go at cost and give you guys a heads up. As many DEs, 1912s and Micromatics as I've found locally, though, both of mine came off of Ebay - so apparently they're not that easy to find. I've never spotted either in the wild.

Would you guys also be interested in the Ever-Ready with the curved hood, in case I come by one of them?

Top Bottom