What's new

Goodfella Safety Razor?

What I find funny is no one ever heard of them outside this post.

You'd think if they did some legit market research, they would have found the major wet shaving forums - either to announce their product or get feedback on the prototype design.

Strange ...

Their site just became operational the other day, but the market for an open combed old style razor is pretty small, I wonder if they intend to come up with safety bar razors?
proxy.php

I sent them an e-mail inviting them here.

I think its good that a new company is marketing a safety razor with a high price point. It positions a safety razor ( considered a dead product by most considering the amount of disposables sold) as an elite product, and the more elite(if i can use that word) products there are on the market, the more mid priced products there will be, and the bigger the demand there will be.

I think its good that a new company is marketing a safety razor with a high price point. It positions a safety razor ( considered a dead product by most considering the amount of disposables sold) as an elite product, and the more elite(if i can use that word) products there are on the market, the more mid priced products there will be, and the bigger the demand there will be.

I doubt that very much to be honest. What you need in my opinion is a relatively cheap but well performing razor sold around the corner so that the DE-market will grow in the western world. From there the demand for better or more luxurious razors can grow which again might create a market big enough for a few producers with "high-end"-DE's.
I don't really see it working the other way around as you suggest.

I doubt that very much to be honest. What you need in my opinion is a relatively cheap but well performing razor sold around the corner so that the DE-market will grow in the western world. From there the demand for better or more luxurious razors can grow which again might create a market big enough for a few producers with "high-end"-DE's.
I don't really see it working the other way around as you suggest.

My argument is along the same lines as how automakers have a flagship product. You put out a top model then 'fill the gap' with lower cost models.

When I linked to the Ebay listing, I thought that the handle was knurled, providing good grip.

After looking at the website, it looks as though the handle is smooth metal, probably providing poor, or a little slippery in the very least.

While they are nice looking, I agree that it's much more economical to stick with a tried and true brand, such as Merkur.

**Edit**

I just sent them an email kind of expressing some of the concerns voiced here (price, solely offering open-comb model, etc.).......it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Firstly I would like to thank Doublefelix, Cooncatbob and all the others who have been emailing me over the past couple of days.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I have been using safety razors for around 15 years. More recently I bought a couple of old ones from eBay but they were knackered. I was amazed that I could not buy a new one in my local shops. I tried the cartridge blades but they were no good and I developed a shaving rash. Frustrated at the lack of choice and the poor quality of the supermarket available products I began designing a new razor.

Just over a year later it is now for sale. I know you like me are all passionate about achieving a quality shave. Over the past year I have dropped into Badger and Blade to read postings and reinforce my conviction to produce a new razor. By Goodfella being posted on eBay I was amazed that within a couple of hours the razor was being blogged here.

By Goodfella being targeted at a new generation of men who will embrace the art of wet shaving I did not anticipate the excitement that you are generating around its launch. Some have criticised the high cost of the razor but the cost has been pitched mid range of the different Merkur razors available. The processes involved are labour intensive, by Goodfella not being made in a factory the finishing is done by hand and production is limited.

The target market for Goodfella is professional men who care about their appearance, cost is not such an issue. Compare the price to a designer fragrance that will last one year max. By Goodfella having a lifetime guarantee, it's the only razor you need to buy.

Welcome Kiwishaver!
I think it's great that you've come to B&B to respond the comments. Naturally, a brand new razor would generate a lot of excitement here. I'm sorry if some of us feel that the model is offered at too high a price. I understand your pricing strategy and wish you plenty of success. It's in all our best interest that you sell lots of razors and expand the market for new wetshavers.

I thought that the handle was knurled, providing good grip.

After looking at the website, it looks as though the handle is smooth metal, probably providing poor, or a little slippery in the very least.

Those groves in the handle look like they'd give enough grip though. Look's a lot less slippery than a Futur from the pics I've seen.

I am interested in one of these. 77 dollars for a razor though? If it is a better shaver than most then I guess it is worth it, but I haven't really heard of anyone claiming that it is. He says the finishing is all done by hand, and that is a nice looking razor. But I just can't justify a purchase in less I know that it is one in a kind.

Firstly I would like to thank Doublefelix, Cooncatbob and all the others who have been emailing me over the past couple of days.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I have been using safety razors for around 15 years. More recently I bought a couple of old ones from eBay but they were knackered. I was amazed that I could not buy a new one in my local shops. I tried the cartridge blades but they were no good and I developed a shaving rash. Frustrated at the lack of choice and the poor quality of the supermarket available products I began designing a new razor.

Just over a year later it is now for sale. I know you like me are all passionate about achieving a quality shave. Over the past year I have dropped into Badger and Blade to read postings and reinforce my conviction to produce a new razor. By Goodfella being posted on eBay I was amazed that within a couple of hours the razor was being blogged here.

By Goodfella being targeted at a new generation of men who will embrace the art of wet shaving I did not anticipate the excitement that you are generating around its launch. Some have criticised the high cost of the razor but the cost has been pitched mid range of the different Merkur razors available. The processes involved are labour intensive, by Goodfella not being made in a factory the finishing is done by hand and production is limited.

The target market for Goodfella is professional men who care about their appearance, cost is not such an issue. Compare the price to a designer fragrance that will last one year max. By Goodfella having a lifetime guarantee, it's the only razor you need to buy.

Kiwi, I applaud your efforts and hope you much luck in business success. Do you have plans for other models?

......& welcome to B&B.

I would be interested to see how it compares to a #102 Old Type. The cap and guard are very similar.

And I echo the welcome to B&B, Kiwi!

Dare I suggest that maybe Goodfella's needs to consider a discounted group buy for B&B members? What better way to spread the word than to get these in the hands of members here?!?

Dare I suggest that maybe Goodfella's needs to consider a discounted group buy for B&B members? What better way to spread the word than to get these in the hands of members here?!?

I second these sentiments.......

Also, kudos to Kiwishaver for coming on here and addressing our concerns so quickly. I think that we are a bunch that puts a lot of stock in customer service/relations, and such contact bodes well for any future relationship with this membership.

Welcome Kiwishaver and thanks for the kind words.
Most of use here aren't your typical razor users and many of us have a rotation of razors that we shave with, variety being the spice of life.
What are your future product plans?
Do you plan to come out with a safety bar head for your razor.
As a operator of a very small internet business I can appreciate how labor costs effect final product price.
I wish you success with your endeaver.

Top Bottom