What's new

Good strop makers

Hello gentlemen I was wondering who makes a good strop now days? I been off the forms form a while because of having children and and life happening but with things starting to settle down I was thinking about getting back into straight razor shaving as I really enjoyed it but after starting to have kids my time for razor maintenance and the enjoyment of it became less and less so I got out. I'm back and looking for suggestions on a good 3" wide strop. I had a Straight Razor design English Bride strop that I like and got from Lynn and also one from Tony Miller an Old No. 2 Steer hide that was really good both strops I thought was high quality. Just wondering whats out there now?

I've been looking at strops for a few months now and can't see anything that rivals Tony miller strops for the money. Its just a shame that the postage and V.A.T to the UK as good as doubles the cost for me. Only problem is there's not a great deal of strop makers in the UK.

I live in Nashville Tn, so basically anywhere in the state's should be good for me.

I've been looking at strops for a few months now and can't see anything that rivals Tony miller strops for the money. Its just a shame that the postage and V.A.T to the UK as good as doubles the cost for me. Only problem is there's not a great deal of strop makers in the UK.
Have you looked at the invisible edge as your in the UK.

There is not that much choice here, apart from the main shaving shops doing the usual brands. There is one other maker but nothing on his store until August.

I'll throw another vote for Heirloom strops, I don't think you can beat them in terms of workmanship and value. You might also want to check out the TomoNagura Etsy store. He usually has some interesting stuff too. For non US members Scrupleworks might be a good option. I haven't used his products but others here have. I can vouch for both Tony and Keith's workmanship though, top notch, and honest guys.

I'll throw another vote for Heirloom strops, I don't think you can beat them in terms of workmanship and value. You might also want to check out the TomoNagura Etsy store. He usually has some interesting stuff too. For non US members Scrupleworks might be a good option. I haven't used his products but others here have. I can vouch for both Tony and Keith's workmanship though, top notch, and honest guys.
Does scruple works do separate leather and linen or are they one single strop (double sided) if you get what I mean.

Well gents I went with Mr.Tony Miller on my strop and as usual he did beautiful work and had it to me in a flash. It's a fine strop and no reason I should ever need another one except for just wanting another lol. This really will last a lifetime. Thank you guys for your replies. Thanks for a great strop Tony!

Well gents I went with Mr.Tony Miller on my strop and as usual he did beautiful work and had it to me in a flash. It's a fine strop and no reason I should ever need another one except for just wanting another lol. This really will last a lifetime. Thank you guys for your replies. Thanks for a great strop Tony!
Can I ask, is it a thick strop? I was thinking about going with either Imperia La Roccia or TM.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Can I ask, is it a thick strop? I was thinking about going with either Imperia La Roccia or TM.
Mine depend on the leather type as to thickness. Veg Tanned Horse is very thick on this run, my Bridle is thinner and a little more flexible, etc..... Each type, from each maker will vary depending on what tannage they are using and where they source their hides.

Thick does not always make for better. Thinner, more flexible strops work nicely for razors with curved, 'smiling" edges as they conform to the edge whereas on the thick strop you get far less contact area on each stroke as the surface does not give or conform. Also, some leathers have a harder or softer surface temper. This relates to how much the surface deflects under the razor (does the edge sink in at all) and is a different characteristic from the flexibility of a strop end to end or side to side.

You can have thick, soft surface leather and thin firm surface leather. You can have firm surface strops with lots of flex lengthwise, or soft surface strops that are still quite stiff.

It always pays to message any maker you decide to go with as many times they can tailor something specifically to one's needs. They may have hides that vary from the general description given in their listings.....thinner, thicker, softer, etc....

Top Bottom