What's new

Good source for jnat?

330 mate HGAL ratings are so inconsistent..
I am yet to try a stone from him that is actually worthy for razors.
Last one I got was rated as 5++++ but is no good for razors at all.

Maxim is the only one so far that I know of that sells for reasonable prices at high quality, other than that there is no such thing as cheap quality stone.

330 mate HGAL ratings are so inconsistent..
I am yet to try a stone from him that is actually worthy for razors.
Last one I got was rated as 5++++ but is no good for razors at all.

Maxim is the only one so far that I know of that sells for reasonable prices at high quality, other than that there is no such thing as cheap quality stone.

You mean 3++++? I think the only rating that he has that goes to 5's is Hardness.

That may be. I've only bought a random stone from him before (Rated in the 4's for hardness I think), and it is a VERY VERY soft Suita.

edit: His randoms are actually rated 5++ for hardness, so yeah his hardness ratings are pretty generous.

The one finishing stone I bought from 330mate was harder than a Nakayama Maruka I had that was specifically for razors. It also left a very nice edge to shave off of. YMMV?

This stone arrived this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...JU9gZCo%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The first use was unimpressive. Degraded the edge off a coticule into a 5-7k JIS range. The surface did have lots of gouges in it (like my other 330mate Suita), so I decided to lap past that. The stone was a lot softer than my other high grit Jnats, so I was a little worried. It lapped in a couple minutes on my 4" belt sander. I then finished it on my 220grit DMT and slurried it up with the same stone. The edge isn't the best I've felt, but it's above a C12k and my Honyama from Dicks. I'm going to give the stone a real finish (800/1200/2000 grit paper), and then slurry with an Asagi rubbing stone I've got (cost as much as this stone did), and I wouldn't be surprised if it's even better (on my Karasu going from 220grit surfacing to a smooth surface made a big difference... but that is a MUCH harder stone).

His hardness rating seems about right for this. It's a good deal harder than the Random Suita I got from him before, but still way softer than my Karasu (Rated 5+++ hardness (or maybe 5++++) by metalmaster.

330mate sent me a coupon for 8% off 24000. 4565364 if anybody is going to order from them. I guess its their xmas sale. I have no plans on using it.Its good til 12/15.

Top Bottom