What's new

Good shampoo for oily hair?

Alright, so I have really really oily hair. And a long time ago I read a post that recommended an Axe shampoo that has this gritty texture that is designated for oily hair. I guess I like the texture, and I like the way it cleans, but not the biggest fan of the chemicals and the smell.

You see, now that I've entered into the wetshaving world (oct 2012), I feel like this Axe shampoo is the equivalent to the can-of-goo I used to use for shaving.

So, gentlemen, do any of you have any recommendations for a good shampoo for me?

I don't know if a moisturizing shampoo is good or bad. For instance, if I strip all the oils from my hair in the shower, does my scalp go into overdrive to oil my hair back up? Would I be better off with a moisturizing shampoo? Any great products that will smell good that has fewer non-pronounceable chemicals?

Oh as for scents, Im a big fan of bay rums, citrus scents, even eucaliptus and lemongrass. Willing to try a lot, but I really don't like musky smells. (Which is one of the reasons I want to get away from the Axe).

Thanks!

Last edited:
. . . if I strip all the oils from my hair in the shower, does my scalp go into overdrive to oil my hair back up? . . .
Yes.

For me, Woody's Daily Shampoo does away with the "bad" oil but doesn't leave my hair dried out. Before that, L'Anza Daily Clarifying Shampoo, though it's a bit stronger.

I use the Trader Joe's citrus type, and I feel it does pretty well for getting the oils out (as does their tea tree type). It's pretty cheap and not tested on animals.

I also seem to recall the green Prell did a good job (but that stuff's hard to find these days, it seems).

No shampoo will change your genes. That said, EMJ 2-in-1. Both citrus and tea tree versions smell great. Also, skip a day so you're not stripping your hair and scalp every day.

I have oily skin..Neutrogena T Gel (Walgreens version) is cheap and works perfectly...its the tar in it that takes out the excess oils

I used to use Prell but when it started to become harder to find locally, I switched to Suave for Men 2+1, the kind for dandriff, though the regular is just as good. Seems to do a very good job of stripping the oil but leaving the hair pretty healthy.

While your scalp may be upping the oil production to compensate for over drying, you could also just have a naturally oily scalp. Have you ever tried a shampoo bar followed with a vinegar rinse?

Alright, so I have really really oily hair. And a long time ago I read a post that recommended an Axe shampoo that has this gritty texture that is designated for oily hair. I guess I like the texture, and I like the way it cleans, but not the biggest fan of the chemicals and the smell.

You see, now that I've entered into the wetshaving world (oct 2012), I feel like this Axe shampoo is the equivalent to the can-of-goo I used to use for shaving.

So, gentlemen, do any of you have any recommendations for a good shampoo for me?

I don't know if a moisturizing shampoo is good or bad. For instance, if I strip all the oils from my hair in the shower, does my scalp go into overdrive to oil my hair back up? Would I be better off with a moisturizing shampoo? Any great products that will smell good that has fewer non-pronounceable chemicals?

Oh as for scents, Im a big fan of bay rums, citrus scents, even eucaliptus and lemongrass. Willing to try a lot, but I really don't like musky smells. (Which is one of the reasons I want to get away from the Axe).

Thanks!

I can definitly give you some input as I make soap.... the oil in your hair is from sebum and sweat etc... you want something that will break down the oil while not leaving residue and overly drying your scalp. Commercial soaps that will do the trick are castile soaps as they are alkali based . Commercial examples are Dr.bronners or kiss my face they both have eucalyptis and tea tree scents as well as citrus scents as well. If you do a google search for either company you can view all of the "flavors" dr.bronners even has a place to order online. Happy washing.

Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo works great. I use it daily because I use an oil-based hair cream (Booster Lanolin Hair Cream) and the oils need to be washed out. It cleans all the product out and doesn't completely dry out my hair.

Top Bottom