What's new

Good evening from England

Hello everyone,

Thought this would be the place to start as I'm looking to move over to a DE.
I can honestly say I've never used an electric thingamajig in my life and never will, however most of my shaving has been with a Gillette Excel and then Sensor cartridge. I progressed from a can to a boar hair brush and soap about two years ago. I've just purchased a Vulfix brush and am looking for my first DE.
I do have two straights which I bought years ago (before forums were invented) but didn't have the knowledge to use them, that could change soon. I'll be looking for some advice for my first DE soon. I've seen a Gillette but don't know what it is. Hopefully I can post a photo and you guys can help me out.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Nice to see even more members from England (or Scotland,Wales & Northern Ireland) on here.

Like you, I moved away from cans about two years ago but carried on using a Mach3

I've recently started using :

Schick Injector J1
Gillette Superspeed
Gillette Tech

If it's a DE you want, I can recommend the Tech ( not that I'd put you off the Superspeed)

Mine was off ebay from a very nice man in Canada (a very very nice man.... UK members only) and cost considerably less than a new Merkur

Good Luck

Rob

Cheers, Nick!

Welcome to B&B! There's a ton of great info here in the forums. The B&B members are very friendly and helpful. Come to think of it, I don't think that I've ever seen a question go unanswered.

For DE razors, Gillette's and Merkur get great press here. We all suffer from AD (Acquisition Disorder)... and, we'll look forward to tempting you with pictures and descriptions that will urge you to buy more razors, brushes, creams, soaps, blades, strops and grooming needs than you'll ever use in a lifetime! :lol:

Seriously, enjoy yourself, Nick!

chop-chop

Nick, make sure that you view Mantic's shaving videos on YouTube and read Leisureguy's shave blog. Both are wonderful resources for your migration. Read a lot, post some, enjoy the adventure.

Welcome aboard!

-- John Gehman

Thanks everyone,

Some good advice already. I'll post a picture of a DE in the razor forum later which hopefully you can identify.
Jeff, thanks for the link to stright razor video, its got me interested again. I think I'll take some pics of mine as I haven't got a clue if they are any good, but I'm still going for a DE for now.

Cheers,

Nick

Take it from a man that has used all of the cartridge razors that you have (the Excel and Sensor, the DE is a much better shaver and will give you ten times the shave that the Gilettes ever did. Only word of caution is that DE shavers are a bit addictive, once you use one you will never go back to a cartridge razor again.

Top Bottom