What's new

Going to try "Vintage" DE Blades

I've tried a few carbon-steel blades. The Gillette Thin Blades from the 60's were usable. Some Gillette Blue Blades from the 40's were not.
Avoid carbons unless they're completely sealed and, if possible, you know where they've been all these decades and that's somewhere with a dry climate.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wish I had the courage to try those Marlin (firearms) carbons I picked up ...but the Shick Krona vintage were excellent!

AS

Wish I had the courage to try those Marlin (firearms) carbons I picked up ...but the Shick Krona vintage were excellent!

AS
I use vintage blades exclusively and among those are a very few carbon ones. The very best of those ranks among the best blades I've ever used, these
20190419_053747.jpg

Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge
I lucked out on two of these, 15 blades each.
I use them on rare occasions.

Avoid carbons unless they're completely sealed and, if possible, you know where they've been all these decades and that's somewhere with a dry climate.
Yeah, these were sealed. No telling about the climate. The funny thing is that they look fine even under a cheap microscope.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I use vintage blades exclusively and among those are a very few carbon ones. The very best of those ranks among the best blades I've ever used, these
View attachment 1011786

Well, that's cool!

I forgot, I used the Gillette Techmatic vintage band-carts for most of June and July. Fine shaves. Stainless and NOS.

AA

View attachment 1011786
I was gifted a pack of these by a fellow member a few years back, I never though of using them where they are carbon, I just put them in my vintage blade display case. Makes me want to try one now.

I was gifted a pack of these by a fellow member a few years back, I never though of using them where they are carbon, I just put them in my vintage blade display case. Makes me want to try one now.
It's a risk, especially if the cellophane wasn't intact when you got them. If you use one go slowly until you're sure. And good luck. If they're pristine you're in for one great shaving experience. They even sound different, if you can imagine.

Well, that's cool!

I forgot, I used the Gillette Techmatic vintage band-carts for most of June and July. Fine shaves. Stainless and NOS.

AA

The Gillette Techmatic was an adjustable razor and my all time favorite. I used it till they quit making the band cartridges for it. I now use a Slim Adjustable with a Feather and maybe Polsilver in the future.

It's a risk, especially if the cellophane wasn't intact when you got them. If you use one go slowly until you're sure. And good luck. If they're pristine you're in for one great shaving experience. They even sound different, if you can imagine.
No cellophane, so probably will leave them where they are.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’ve been using a Wizamet Super Irridium from pre 1982 lately. Fabulous. Also working through my first Personna 74. On shave #21 on that one and it keeps getting better and better.

No cellophane, so probably will leave them where they are.
You could get lucky, depending on where a d who packed they've spent the decades. If in , say, Arizona and in tupperware or a sealed baggie odds aren't bad. If in Florida and just in a drawer or a closet, probably touch. I'd try a couple of cautious strokes, I've been lucky before but not often. Therefore my guidelines.

I’ve been using a Wizamet Super Irridium from pre 1982 lately. Fabulous. Also working through my first Personna 74. On shave #21 on that one and it keeps getting better and better.
I stop at 30 with mine but just because I want to change. Never a hint of failing.

You could get lucky, depending on where a d who packed they've spent the decades. If in , say, Arizona and in tupperware or a sealed baggie odds aren't bad. If in Florida and just in a drawer or a closet, probably touch. I'd try a couple of cautious strokes, I've been lucky before but not often. Therefore my guidelines.
I was going to give them a go today oddly enough. I slid a blade partially out of the dispenser & the majority of the shaving edges were rusty so I carefully re-tucked it in and put it back in my vintage blade display case.

Anyone have any experience with Wilkinson Sword blades from the sixties / early seventies? I acquired a boxed Sticky recently that came a few, white paper wrapped blades in a white feather type dispenser. Wondering if they're worth trying.

Anyone have any experience with Wilkinson Sword blades from the sixties / early seventies? I acquired a boxed Sticky recently that came a few, white paper wrapped blades in a white feather type dispenser. Wondering if they're worth trying.
Yes, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how good they are.

Top Bottom