What's new

Going on the straight and narrow

Hello Gents,

I have been shaving with a DE for the last year and 6 months. In that time I have learned the wonders of shaving, and had the "perfect shave" a couple of times.

I have used a merkur progress, future and vision all to varing degrees of success and failure with love hate relationships with them all.

As soon as I think I have it down something changes and I get horrible shaves over and over again.

The main issue being irritation, I always shave with, cross and cross and against or sometimes with cross and against. But always on the ATG the razor ALWAYS drags severly in certain areas no matter what I do(feather blades).

Ive decided to go to straight razor and just try it. The completly exposed blade + the ability to see exactly how the blade is angled on the skin, along with being able to hone the blade myself.

Am I making the right choice to just move on to straight and see what happens? Or am I already destined for failure due to not being able to get irritation free shaves with a DE?

Pierce

Terrible pulling ATG, even with a Feather? Man! Thing is tho, its a fair amount of money and time to learn how use a straight, so if you're lucky enough to have a good straight-using barber near you or can borrow a straight from someone who knows what they're doing, then that might be better than jumping in with both feet. I'll lend you a professionally-honed straight (not by me), but it'd need to be Intl, tracked postage and might take a while both ways.

irritation could be due to a number of things, dull blades, too much pressure, too many passes etc.

as far as going to straights I say why not go for it only time will tell but I very strongly recommend you do not try to hone your first blade but rather get a honemeister to do the first one if it is not already done by one

Terrible pulling ATG, even with a Feather? Man! Thing is tho, its a fair amount of money and time to learn how use a straight, so if you're lucky enough to have a good straight-using barber near you or can borrow a straight from someone who knows what they're doing, then that might be better than jumping in with both feet. I'll lend you a professionally-honed straight (not by me), but it'd need to be Intl, tracked postage and might take a while both ways.

This is a little off topic, but on the note of straight-using barbers..... I asked a few local barbers if they still use a straight and they all looked at me like i'd uttered something blasphemous.......shouldn't straights get a little more respect from the profession that is positioned to appreciate them the most? Or have there been some laws put into place about using straights at a barber shoppe?

Tried a derby last night, pulling hair WTG!! :eek:

This is a little off topic, but on the note of straight-using barbers..... I asked a few local barbers if they still use a straight and they all looked at me like i'd uttered something blasphemous.......shouldn't straights get a little more respect from the profession that is positioned to appreciate them the most? Or have there been some laws put into place about using straights at a barber shoppe?

I suppose the problem is sharp blade against skin = bood = really bad things happen.

The other is, do you believe that barbers are as well skilled as they used to be?

Or more afraid for being sued for a gazillion dollars because you may ruin some ugly mugs face modeling carrer?

Or some companies insert certain influence into barber schools who then no longer train the art of lathering, honing, stroping, shaving? Then you have shavette's which are arguably not as good.

Pierce

I do admit you'd have to be pretty lucky to get a real barber. I think that 1) most people don't ask their barber for a shave and 2) 90% of any perspective customers would have a hairy fit if they saw their barber stropping a straight to shave them with!

I do admit you'd have to be pretty lucky to get a real barber. I think that 1) most people don't ask their barber for a shave and 2) 90% of any perspective customers would have a hairy fit if they saw their barber stropping a straight to shave them with!

true.

though an antique store owner I was chatting too mentioned his barber still does it. the location of this barber...

TWO MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE!!!

Some "barbers" can't even use scissors nowadays. My local's really good at what they're asked to do by the exclusively male customers, but basically all they do all day is adjust the settings on the clippers!

Here in the us germ paranoia has driven us to shavettes :rolleyes:.

The ironic thing is IMO, the shavette has more crevices in which germs can hide than a normal straight does. Just put the dang thing in an autoclave and it's as safe as can be. Try telling that to a disposable society though:angry:. No more straights for us!!

My personal opinion of why I wouldnt go to a barber particularly not in countries where disposable society is..

Is because of the amount of practice. Lets say you know a barber who does it, and he does it once a month.. to a customer and doesnt shave himself in the same fashion to hone his skills(uses some multi bladed alternative). Do you really feel comfortable about a person branded as an expert putting any exposed blade near your skin?

Pierce

Top Bottom