What's new

Go into an Antique store

I went looking at a local antique store maybe a hidden jewel. There was 3 blades in the cabinet 2 of which I could see the blades because they were closed. The man was charge $35 for a unknown name german blade, and $75 for the other 2 blades. I ask to see the other and when I opened it up they were broken blades, and the guy was trying to get $75 a piece they weren't even savable. I can't believe the nerve of some people.

I had a similar experience once, and when I tried to talk the guy down a little bit and discuss that I actually would use it for shaving he went on a rant as how they are collector pieces and 'serious collectors' pay 'top dollar' for these razors. These razors were salvable but just in generally really bad condition and REALLY high priced. I left.

Alot of times, antiques dealers know next to nothing about what they sell. But they do know how to google, find something 'similar' and jack the price up. Or they skip all that and go right to jack the price up.
I do some looking around each summer in various stores. Most often it takes me at least 10 stops to find a decent razor at a decent price.
Now and again you can find a gem and that's golden.

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it... I have seen people pay way too much for birth year razors because that's what it was worth to them.

I recently went to the antique stores in my home town. No thanks.... There a few razors but horrible condition. I couldn't see myself spending 40 bucks for one of those.

I've had horrible luck with antique stores. It seems vintage razors have gotten too popular as collectors items and dealers think any junk can be sold for $50 (and apparently it's working because someone is buying them).

I've had a similar issue recently in an antique store. Charging outrageous prices for straights that might be salvageable. On the other hand, I got a W&B 7/8 wedge and a Wosty tally-ho for $45, and they had a box full of DEs behind the counter none with a price tag higher than $15. I saw at least one aristocrat.

The last time I was in an antique Store I bought afatboy and a 40's Super speed for $4... total. A Couple scracthes but great Cond. Overall I bought A slim for $15 with the plastic case. Deals are out there.

That's the way it goes, you look at at lot of junk and then the next time you walk into an antique store you find a 8/8 Sheffield wedge in great shape for $25.

When my wife visited her dad in Barcelona, last summer she went to a few antique stores around town, fishing for a nice Filarmonica for me.
She ended up finding one. And a Palmera too. She paid 50 euros for each.
Nice gesture, except that neither is in condition to ever become anything again: both have been honed down to 4/8 are covered by oxidation and have rotten scales.

Or you walk into a shop,, find three razors, a mini, a Shumate in the box , only needs a hone, and a mint DD Goldedge in the box with labels, and the seller says " I know what these are worth" . Your heart sinks,,,,,, and you walk out minus $50.00 for all three.

Don't ask me how I know this story is true.

Top Bottom