What's new

Glock 20 or 29 experience?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...Not being an experienced reloader, but definitely wanting to be one day, there is no other load I am excited to play around with reloading more, save maybe the .300 B.O., than the 10mm.
First & foremost, woe unto to me for having failed to mention S&W’s late-‘80s Gen-3 offerings which certainly helped the 10mm out of the starting gate. In fact, many assert that their Model 1006 remains one of, if not the finest 10mm platform ever devised.

Norman Maclean, author of the book, ‘A River Runs Through It’ once wrote that Fly fishing was a world unto itself & that within that world were worlds all their own ... and so it is with the 10mm & the seemingly infinite number of load options. I tend to stay at or under 165 grs. with my reloads ... nothing against 180-200 grainers - it’s just a personal preference.

A tip of the ol’ fedora to Col Jeff Cooper who, though he worshipped regularly at the alter of the .45 Auto, saw, with help from Dornhaus & Dixon and Norma, the need for a hard-hitting 10mm Cruiserweight...

FWIW-Buffalo Bore says they cast hard enough not to lead a Glock OEM Poly barrel.
If I went that route, I would be diligent in my barrel cleaning.

Re Chest Rigs: Hill People Gear has reviewed very well. USA made/sewn

Perhaps you can rent a Glock 20 (or even Glock 21 in .45 ACP) to see about the fit issue.

FWIW-Buffalo Bore says they cast hard enough not to lead a Glock OEM Poly barrel.
If I went that route, I would be diligent in my barrel cleaning.

Re Chest Rigs: Hill People Gear has reviewed very well. USA made/sewn

Perhaps you can rent a Glock 20 (or even Glock 21 in .45 ACP) to see about the fit issue.
Thanks for the link!
I agree. I am going to shoot a 20 somehow. I’ll check on rentals at my range. That will be imperative I believe.

Definitely the 20 over the 29. With the 20 you get 5 more rounds and a much better purchase on the gun.
If you are planning to reload for the 10mm and are going to use the factory barrel, I suggest you invest in the Redding G-RX Push Thru Sizing Die to address the "Glock Bulge"
For factory full house loads(when you are in a location where YOU are on the menu) I like Underwood 220gr hard cast.

Went to a gun shop by my father’s house this afternoon. I played with a 20 for a while. The salesman worked with me for a while. After comparing the 20 and 29, he took a look at my one handed grip. It feels big, but doable. He thought it was about as big as I could deal with. Afterwards he got a Springfield XDM in 10mm. I didn’t even know they made one. It was a bit easier to grip for sure. He thought it was a nice fit as well. He claimed it is spectacularly reliable and comes with a match barrel. I asked if it was as reliable as a glock and he stated that nothing is as proven in the plastic category but that he hasn’t heard anything but good things about the XDM so far and that it didn’t require a barrel upgrade. They have sold a fair number of them. It does come with 2 mags instead of 3, but is 40$ cheaper too.

Now I need to look into this XDM. I have really never looked at Springfield in general as I usually only buy made in USA guns. Any experience with the XDM?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went to a gun shop by my father’s house this afternoon. I played with a 20 for a while. The salesman worked with me for a while. After comparing the 20 and 29, he took a look at my one handed grip. It feels big, but doable. He thought it was about as big as I could deal with. Afterwards he got a Springfield XDM in 10mm. I didn’t even know they made one. It was a bit easier to grip for sure. He thought it was a nice fit as well. He claimed it is spectacularly reliable and comes with a match barrel. I asked if it was as reliable as a glock and he stated that nothing is as proven in the plastic category but that he hasn’t heard anything but good things about the XDM so far and that it didn’t require a barrel upgrade. They have sold a fair number of them. It does come with 2 mags instead of 3, but is 40$ cheaper too.

Now I need to look into this XDM. I have really never looked at Springfield in general as I usually only buy made in USA guns. Any experience with the XDM?

I did a thread here, but still haven't bought one. Love that gun!

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

If you just don't like the way the Glock fits in your hand, I don't see why not. I do like the ergonomics of the XDM over the XD, and the overall quality and match grade barrel of the XDM is better than the XD. I can't say if it's reliability matches that of the Glock, but what semi auto can? Most modern striker fired pistols have excellent reliability. However, shooting something as powerful as the 10mm, will help you determine if the XDM is reliable or not. Just make sure you are convinced with it's reliability, before you are standing in front of a bear. :)

If you just don't like the way the Glock fits in your hand, I don't see why not. I do like the ergonomics of the XDM over the XD, and the overall quality and match grade barrel of the XDM is better than the XD. I can't say if it's reliability matches that of the Glock, but what semi auto can? Most modern striker fired pistols have excellent reliability. However, shooting something as powerful as the 10mm, will help you determine if the XDM is reliable or not. Just make sure you are convinced with it's reliability, before you are standing in front of a bear. :)
Thanks for the word of wisdom! I need to shoot both.

Top Bottom