What's new

Glock 20 or 29 experience?

Hi All,

I am in the initial research stages for upgrading my carry pistol while backpacking. These decisions take me forever. I usually carry my SR9 or CW9 and in Michigan have no worries. Often I just carry a little 22 or nothing to be truthful... I would like to start taking my son on hiking trips out west in a couple of years. I used to do a lot of hiking in the Wind River Mountains and elsewhere in the Rockies 15-20 years ago. I would carry bear spray back then in certain areas, but owned no carry pistols during that time in my life.

I was considering a Ruger 44 mag snubbie as the best option minimally, but also see a lot of folks are carrying the 10mm in bear county. Since I am not talking about visiting the coastal areas of Alaska with the monster browns, I think a 10mm may be a nice compromise. Better than my 9mm options anyhow.

The point of this is not to pick or debate between 44 mag pistols or 10mm, but instead to ask how people like the Glock 20 or 29? They are really lightweight options for 10 mm that is very attractive for hiking with a backpack. I am considering my first Glock! I did play with one at the shop for a couple minutes. My hand is barely big enough to be comfortable on it. I will not be hunting with it.

I am not really interested in buying aftermarket barrels and such. I believe the Gen 4 has stiff enough springs for hotter loads. Let me know if that is wrong...

Sooo, let’s hear from you if you shoot a 20 or 29. Are they super reliable like Glock has a reputation for? How do you like shooting them? Are there any quirks with the big 10mm?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think @OkieStubble has a G 20 that he's pleased with, IINM? Perhaps he will chime in. I have a buddy who has one and is well pleased with it, but I have not shot it.

Tried both, the 29 is the size of a 19 but fatter. Has significant recoil but far less than a 357M. I haven't tried 200gr rounds out of it, but with 180 hot rounds is OK. The big sister is nice and nible. The only drawback from these is the $$$ of ammo. And then there is the large/long one w red dot....now that can be used for hunting...

1. G20 is quite reliable, particularly with full power ammo

2. I have no frame of reference with the G29

3. There are loads specifically tailored to anti game duties- "Buffalo Bore" IIRC. Having said that, you are going to want to make sure those work in your gun.

4. The fact that it does not fit in your hand is most concerning. Your option are re 10 mm
a. Buy the Glock and have the grip circumference reduced
b. Buy a different 10mm i.e. a 1911 patterned gun- You will however, pick up weight.

5. Frame size and weight ratio-I can see why the G29 is on the list. However, I suspect that your stated lack of
hand size would make effectively controlling it even more of an issue.

6. Pivot to a .40 cal Glock with an optimized load perhaps? G22/G23 Police Turn in abound in the sub 300 space.
See the link below re .40 cal Buffalo Bore Ammo. Note they have offerings across the caliber spectrum.

Tried both, the 29 is the size of a 19 but fatter. Has significant recoil but far less than a 357M. I haven't tried 200gr rounds out of it, but with 180 hot rounds is OK. The big sister is nice and nible. The only drawback from these is the $$$ of ammo. And then there is the large/long one w red dot....now that can be used for hunting...
1. G20 is quite reliable, particularly with full power ammo

2. I have no frame of reference with the G29

3. There are loads specifically tailored to anti game duties- "Buffalo Bore" IIRC. Having said that, you are going to want to make sure those work in your gun.

4. The fact that it does not fit in your hand is most concerning. Your option are re 10 mm
a. Buy the Glock and have the grip circumference reduced
b. Buy a different 10mm i.e. a 1911 patterned gun- You will however, pick up weight.

5. Frame size and weight ratio-I can see why the G29 is on the list. However, I suspect that your stated lack of
hand size would make effectively controlling it even more of an issue.

6. Pivot to a .40 cal Glock with an optimized load perhaps? G22/G23 Police Turn in abound in the sub 300 space.
See the link below re .40 cal Buffalo Bore Ammo. Note they have offerings across the caliber spectrum.

Thanks for the insight boys.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That’s weird. I receive extra notification that someone responded to my post here, yet there is no post from me here (until now).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi All,

I am in the initial research stages for upgrading my carry pistol while backpacking. These decisions take me forever. I usually carry my SR9 or CW9 and in Michigan have no worries. Often I just carry a little 22 or nothing to be truthful... I would like to start taking my son on hiking trips out west in a couple of years. I used to do a lot of hiking in the Wind River Mountains and elsewhere in the Rockies 15-20 years ago. I would carry bear spray back then in certain areas, but owned no carry pistols during that time in my life.

I was considering a Ruger 44 mag snubbie as the best option minimally, but also see a lot of folks are carrying the 10mm in bear county. Since I am not talking about visiting the coastal areas of Alaska with the monster browns, I think a 10mm may be a nice compromise. Better than my 9mm options anyhow.

You would be surprised how many hunting guides in Alaska, are now carrying Glock 20's in chest rigs. They have become very popular for even the big bears in Alaska. Even a Ruger .44 snubbie is heavier then a Glock 20. What makes a Glock 20 heavy, is all the rounds it carries. And I'm ok with that. ;)

The point of this is not to pick or debate between 44 mag pistols or 10mm, but instead to ask how people like the Glock 20 or 29? They are really lightweight options for 10 mm that is very attractive for hiking with a backpack. I am considering my first Glock! I did play with one at the shop for a couple minutes. My hand is barely big enough to be comfortable on it. I will not be hunting with it.

I own 7 Glocks. If I had to start all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still own 7 Glocks, but the Glock 20 would of been the very first Glock I bought. It is that versatile. It handles that well for a 10mm. And I don't have big whopper hands either. The purpose for my Glock 20, is alot like yours. When I retire, The wife and I plan on taking the RV back into alot of bear country most likely. When I'm there, my Glock 20 will be in a chest rig, stuffed with 15 rounds of 200 gr. Buffalo Bore hard cast. I am more then confident, it will be more then adequate even for big brown Grizzlies.

I am not really interested in buying aftermarket barrels and such. I believe the Gen 4 has stiff enough springs for hotter loads. Let me know if that is wrong...

It is wrong if you plan on carrying it in bear country. I picked up a very little used Gen4 and 6 mags for $400. Probably didn't have 100 rounds thru it! With 6 mags! for only $400! Can you believe that! Felt like Christmas! :)

The polygonal rifling in a Glock 20 will not support hard lead cast shooting without leading, effecting the barrel sooner or later. You heard right about the Gen4. It's recoil spring will handle the heavy stuff. I have put at least 300 rounds of Buffalo 200 gr thru it with no problems so far. I picked up a KKM barrel which handles the hot, heavy lead just fine and is very accurate. High grade stainless steel and they nitride coat it black to match your gun for $185 clams.

You won't find a better barrel at that price.

, let’s hear from you if you shoot a 20 or 29. Are they super reliable like Glock has a reputation for? How do you like shooting them? Are there any quirks with the big 10mm?

1. They are as famously reliable as any other model/caliber of Glock

2. I absolutely love shooting the Glock 20 Gen4. It is highly accurate, highly reliable, highly controllable and the recoil seems no more then a .45 ACP to me.

3. If there are some quirks with the big 10mm, it's probably with other brands of 10mm pistol and not the Glock. Me being a Glock fanboy aside, Glock figured it all out and got it absolutely right with the Glock 20 10mm.

Last edited:
You would be surprised how many hunting guides in Alaska, are now carrying Glock 20's in chest rigs. They have become very popular for even the big bears in Alaska. Even a Ruger .44 snubbie is heavier then a Glock 20. What makes a Glock 20 heavy, is all the rounds it carries. And I'm ok with that. ;)

I own 7 Glocks. If I had to start all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still own 7 Glocks, but the Glock 20 would of been the very first Glock I bought. It is that versatile. It handles that well for a 10mm. And I don't have big whopper hands either. The purpose for my Glock 20, is alot like yours. When I retire, The wife and I plan on taking the RV back into alot of bear country most likely. When I'm there, my Glock 20 will be in a chest rig, stuffed with 15 rounds of 200 gr. Buffalo Bore hard cast. I am more then confident, it will be more then adequate even for big brown Grizzlies.

It is wrong if you plan on carrying it in bear country. I picked up a very little used Gen4 and 6 mags for $400. Probably didn't have 100 rounds thru it! With 6 mags! for only $400! Can you believe that! Felt like Christmas! :)

The polygonal rifling in a Glock 20 will not support hard lead cast shooting without leading, effecting the barrel sooner or later. You heard right about the Gen4. It's recoil spring will handle the heavy stuff. I have put at least 300 rounds of Buffalo 200 gr thru it with no problems so far. I picked up a KKM barrel which handles the hot, heavy lead just fine and is very accurate. High grade stainless steel and they nitride coat it black to match your gun for $185 clams.

2. I absolutely love shooting the Glock 20 Gen4. It is highly accurate, highly reliable, highly controllable and the recoil seems no more then a .45 ACP to me.

3. If there are some quirks with the big 10mm, it's probably with other brands of 10mm pistol and not the Glock. Me being a Glock fanboy aside, Glock figured it all out and got it absolutely right with the Glock 20 10mm.
That is spectacularly helpful! And a great deal on your 20!

I am only worried about the grip size. I have never liked the big Glock grips. I shot a 17 long ago and also a 26 I believe. Anyhow, my SR9 grips are big but seemingly more comfortable. That is why I bought it long ago. Surprisingly, when I handled a 20, it felt pretty good. I was prepared to hold it and dislike it. It was a bit big, but still reasonable. I should try and shoot one if I can. @dojpros warning above has me convinced to find one to shoot first.

I am glad to hear that the aftermarket barrel is reliable as well. I was looking at the Underwood ep solid copper bullets. they are not hard cast lead, but are 155 gr. solid copper or an alloy I believe. They are hot though. Do you think the stock barrel is ok for those? I see Buffalo has a 200 gr. Solid copper flat nose now too.

Lastly, if you would, what chest rig are you using. I think with a backpack I’ll try a chest rig. I usually carry in my front pocket now, but that’s in Michigan with no real danger. I have a clip on bag for carrying a bigger gun, but it’s a zip up access. Good for concealing, but slow access.

Thanks again.

OkieStubble

That is spectacularly helpful! And a great deal on your 20!

I am only worried about the grip size. I have never liked the big Glock grips. I shot a 17 long ago and also a 26 I believe. Anyhow, my SR9 grips are big but seemingly more comfortable. That is why I bought it long ago. Surprisingly, when I handled a 20, it felt pretty good. I was prepared to hold it and dislike it. It was a bit big, but still reasonable. I should try and shoot one if I can. @dojpros warning above has me convinced to find one to shoot first.

I am glad to hear that the aftermarket barrel is reliable as well. I was looking at the Underwood ep solid copper bullets. they are not hard cast lead, but are 155 gr. solid copper or an alloy I believe. They are hot though. Do you think the stock barrel is ok for those? I see Buffalo has a 200 gr. Solid copper flat nose now too.

Lastly, if you would, what chest rig are you using. I think with a backpack I’ll try a chest rig. I usually carry in my front pocket now, but that’s in Michigan with no real danger. I have a clip on bag for carrying a bigger gun, but it’s a zip up access. Good for concealing, but slow access.

Thanks again.

I think you would be fine with the OEM Glock barrel for copper, but I really like the beefier, fully supported chamber of the KKM for hot loads.

I want a chest rig, but haven’t gotten one as of yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

That should be a sticky! You've got me back to wanting a 10mm!

And OP should carry bear spray too. Life is about choices. I don't ever want to shoot a bear in SD.

The review on my can of bear spray indicated the bruin, when hit in the face, laid down a 30-foot trail of urine as it exited the scene at high speed. I'd have liked to see that!

AA

That should be a sticky! You've got me back to wanting a 10mm!

And OP should carry bear spray too. Life is about choices. I don't ever want to shoot a bear in SD.

The review on my can of bear spray indicated the bruin, when hit in the face, laid down a 30-foot trail of urine as it exited the scene at high speed. I'd have liked to see that!

AA
Lol

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...I want a chest rig, but haven’t gotten one as of yet.

If there are some quirks with the big 10mm, it's probably with other brands of 10mm pistol and not the Glock. Me being a Glock fanboy aside, Glock figured it all out and got it absolutely right with the Glock 20 10mm.
Re the chest rig, look no further...

I couldn’t agree with you more in regards to your Glock 20 wisdom & sentiments, Okie. In perusing various forums, the question, If you could only own one 10mm... will occasionally pop up & not too infrequently the pistol of choice among P220, Delta Elite, EC II, Bruin, Model 610, etc., etc... fanboys is, the Glock 20.

Function & practicality notwithstanding, Glock 20s - and yes, Colt Deltas - will always hold a special place in the arsenal for having kept the 10mm on life support long enough for folks to wake up & realize the efficacy of the round.

OkieStubble

I couldn’t agree with you more in regards to your Glock 20 wisdom & sentiments, Okie. In perusing various forums, the question, If you could only own one 10mm... will occasionally pop up & not too infrequently the pistol of choice among P220, Delta Elite, EC II, Bruin, Model 610, etc., etc... fanboys is, the Glock 20.

Function & practicality notwithstanding, Glock 20s - and yes, Colt Deltas - will always hold a special place in the arsenal for having kept the 10mm on life support long enough for folks to wake up & realize the efficacy of the round.

Great post. I absolutely agree. Not being an experienced reloader, but definitely wanting to be one day, there is no other load I am excited to play around with reloading more, save maybe the .300 B.O., than the 10mm.

Both of these calibers, are just absolute fun to mess with.

What is the retention like with those holsters without the extra strap over the pistol? Will the gun fall out easily?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No personal experience, but it looks like it comes in different varieties, the one pictured with the DA revolver appears to have a tension screw in front of the trigger guard, which should do well with retension. There are models with a retention strap or a cover flap.

I
No personal experience, but it looks like it comes in different varieties, the one pictured with the DA revolver appears to have a tension screw in front of the trigger guard, which should do well with retension. There are models with a retention strap or a cover flap.
thought it looked like a retention screw. It does say anything about it Though. They are sure thought of highly in the reviews I can find. What beautiful rigs!

Top Bottom