What's new

global_dev straight journal

I was going to go with a fancy razor, but for some reason, i passed and went with my M Wings 510, a 13/16+s Yasuki Special Steel western.

pic of the razor used
M Wings 510 YSS

proxy.php

last night, i felt the need to rehone one of my modded 14s, for one the point was killing me, way to sharp and not fun nor relaxing, so i eased that up, the plan is eventually mod it to an irish/french point. so i slightly rounded the point off and went through a significant reset to finishing on a nakayama kiita nashiji and the edge came out very nice, it's still not 100% there, but my skin is feeling off (honestly don't know how to explain it, since breaking my leg back in '12 i've had skin weirdness in the winter, perhaps an allergy to the metal plates and pins) so it's hrd to tell if it's me or the edge.. more than velvety edge, almost didn't feel it, but i feel it can get better.

i'm trying to kill a tub of RR croap, it's okay, the scent is okay, the performance is ok, but really not worthy of a repurchase or recommendation (it's the tallow freedburg "aventus" clone w/ the theater board/lights. I'm using all of my soap "killers" on it.

Using the Epsilon brown horse bulb, very nice departure from the uber soft tips, but i think with some good experience of loading/wetting the lather shines.

shave was excellent

proxy.php

followed by La Toja ASL/ASB, really diggin the "mineral saltiness" smell, but something else in it does allow me to absolutely love it.

That Epsilon brush looks very nice. Spent some time drooling over them on G&C last night.

they are the only horse hair i know, so i cant compare, but ive been enjoying them immensely. the white is much softer than the brown, but the brown has nice skritch.

took a couple days off from shaving.. probably ~5, just didn't manage to make it part of my day and when i thought i would, i didn't

but i was looking forward to today's shave. Used the ITTF grapefruit which is a nice soap and my Imperial 14 doublenotch and got a great shave in 2-3 passes. same brown horsehair epsilon..

i also got a hold of a Creed GIT bath soap, not a clone... wow.. just a fantastic soap, totally ridic scent, nice performance... i kind have always wanted to pick up a GIT clone shave soap, but i am a bit hesitant thinking that it's not going to be a good clone, i may just do that ASAP, before i pull the trigger on the real version.

i actually went to shave with a large french blade today, but it didn't come off the shelf as comfortable, can't remember how i honed it, but i think it may need to be given a once over. popped back into the cabinet for a sub and just grabbed the doublenotch.

Over the past month, i've been doing a lot of storage rework with my wife, so once that's done r close to done and i'll have much better access to my tools and materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think my favorite shaves are the 10AM shaves.. i'm not tired from either waking or a full day, i can take my time without rushing...

i am going to keep using the 14 Imperial doublenotch until i think it degrades*. I am also killing the lathering with the Epsilon brown bulb. love it..

i was also thinking that i'd love to be able to split soap/cream buys with one or two people, to get a decent size amount that would last maybe a couple weeks to couple months but not a year or more. I am kind of tired of looking at my soap stash and wanting to try new things..

but today i decided to get back to a soap that wasn't as good as I had hoped when i got it, the texture was way to creamy (i think it might have been transit related) and performance just okay.. Alvarez Gómez Agua de Colonia Concentrada Barbería

it's been a while since i used it and it has firmed up quite a bit and to tell you truth, the performance and scent today was outstanding.. it rekindles my interest in the other parts of the line, but since the only related scent products I have are the AdP, they'll do for aprés, and wouldn't you know it, it once again remind me how awesome the AdP products are, the ASL, ASB and nutrient cream feel and smell spectacular. I love having these around and although sad that they are so pricey, i really really enjoy them, so much more than the clone ASL/ASBs that unfortunately cost 1/4 of the price.

I hat to say that i as much as I'd love to be super thrifty, for the enjoyment i get when i use these more expensive products, it's totally worth the entrance fee.

3 easy passes, beautiful shave... edge is nice and mellow (stropped on kanayama shell)

*IMHO, after having shaved with a bunch of full size 14s and the worn out 14s, there is completely a difference, perhaps due to the geometry, the flex or something, but they definitely feel different.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have to agree on shaving times; post-coffee in the morning on a weekend is much nicer than blurry-eyed 5:30am.

i think my favorite shaves are the 10AM shaves.. i'm not tired from either waking or a full day, i can take my time without rushing...
i am going to keep using the 14 Imperial doublenotch until i think it degrades*.

well, i think i jinxed myself, i shaved a bit later and used a different razor, the shave was excellent but the edge not as smooth as i usually enjoy, i am not sure if it's just getting comfortable with a significantly different blade or if it's really the edge. or maybe it was the lather which was a bit airier than i typically make..

regardless, a TdH afternoon.. Razorock SoH soap, Fine L'O, TdH ASB, followed by TdH parfum. glorious scent, i love it

9/8s Buddel near wedge, 2 passes was enough, a nice shave but could be better. i didn't walk away thinking it couldn't be topped..

$Buddel _Space_Invaders.jpg

i'm thinking i just had so much different things going on and tried to rush it....

Last edited:
so i decided to refinish the Buddel, something was off and my face was pretty sore even though i had a close shave, the edge didn't look well under the scope

i took it back to the green brick of joy and finished up on my coticule slab. while i had still had the honing bug and the resources ready to go, i refinished the JMP double-notch on the coticule slab and took the Dovo 1 from the green brick to a suita and since this was a vintage fritz bracht german blade i finished on an escher, it was delightful to feel the feedback change on this finisher as it went from gliding to a bit sticky. took about 10-15 passes

i was all about going to shave with the Buddel, it'll have to wait but i've had the Dovo for a bit and I had never really used it yet, except half a stroke or 2 when it was immediately evident the original edge was subpar.

i decided on tabac, i enjoy the scent once in a while and while i think the performance is great, it really doesn't outshine others once you hit the others well though...

slapped the dovo on a torolf (buffalo?) strop and i was in for a treat, the edge was almost invisible to the feel, 2 fantastic passes and a beautiful feeling shave, one that i really enjoy and makes shaving pleasurable. a nice as the smaller blades can be, i just find the larger hollows to be nicer.

some witch hazel, followed by some NYR organic balm, nice but i don't think it's a game changer for me, better than most, nice scent, but not what i love.

full

i dont know what came over me last night, i was looking at a GD66 that has been just hanging out on my desk that i had smeared in mustard a couple months ago and decided that i was going to work on my file work and modding skills. i think the biggest issues i face are not having the proper tools or know how to accomplish what i want to do. i was thinking about scalloped spines and angular spines i had seen on a straight recently and how much i liked it.. i thought the scallop would be easy and the angles not so much..

grabbed a set of diamond files and started to work, marked out where i wanted what and, handheld, started the couple hour journey of trying to remove steel from where i wanted. so the scallop was difficult and the angle almost impossible with the files.. i took the angle to a DMT and in like 20 minutes had what i was looking for, the scallop transformed into something else and by the time i was done, i had worn away the point to a semi french/square/round and discovered for myself the processes, or at least some of them.

sanded it with some 220 for a bit this morning over coffee to remove the grind marks and honed this badboy up.. btw i added a bit of a smile using the DMT so i figured the bevel was gonna take a bit, but fortunately some sweet time on the chosera1000 to naniwa green brick, to suita, to a vintage asagi and the edge was fantastic. i refinished the asagi since it felt a bit off, not sure what was going on. in the past i haven't like this stone, i remember it not working well and i can't remember exactly what i did to it, if anything, maybe have been a swap in the tomonagura though.. some laps on the royal linen, the scrupleworks buffal (i think i called it torolf above)

shaved like a dream - so the spine from point to halfway meets at a ridge at the top, and then the scalloped V through to the tang on both sides

gd_mod_20160120.jpg

funny how a picture in different light and shadows shows things i don't see

i do like how the grinding of the angular masks the hone wear, that actually looks pretty sweet to me and always wondered how restoration folks minimized the appearance of honewear without the use of lighting, i think i may break down and buy a small grinder to play around with the spines a bit more.. my dremel kicked half the bucket and is now only at full speed which makes me nervous, so i gotta get that fixed.

so, i had 3 razors come in this week and i'm awaiting 2 more right now.

i kind of cleaned up a solingen, a wosty pipe, and this nowill wedge, i think it's from around 1864 based on the "*D" ...

it needed a rescale, bone scales that i'd like to keep but i'm not so sure, probably could have been wrapped in thread though and lasted another couple dozen years :blush:

i honed up all three and i kind of forgot how long it takes (and feels) to hone up a "wedge". just when you think you're close, you really aren't... geez louise

proxy.php

evn though i've been hitting the natural hones lately, jnat, escher, and coti, i decided to hone this one up straight on synths, not taking any chances.. it's just too long a session when you want to knock it out to use.. but now that it's done, it'll be easier to refinish or rehone on something else..

Chosera 1000>3000>5000>8000,10000

the edge was majestic, almost inspiring, the feel of old sheffield steel is ridic.. it feels a bit masochistic..

It was really difficult to take off the bones scales without wrecking them, but slow and steady, i'm thinking of lining them with brass but there are some big chunks missing in the essential places.. i really wanted to get this one honed p and ready to use.. so i grabbed an unhoned 66 and viola ;)

proxy.php

so the shave this afternoon was a lavender bomb, MdC followed by K.Louis ASL

I love the medicinal herbals, i have some lav plants that i kind of mow a small portion and the air explodes with scent and it's unreal.. close my eyes, and i imagine i don't live in northern virginia...

proxy.php

on the 18th, the 9/8s Buddel worked but completely unenjoyable when i put on some aftershave..

i was thinking it was something of the variables of that specific day, but

after refinishing as described above on the 19th, "green brick of joy and finished up on my coticule slab",

holy crapola, what a difference... this edge was magnificent, so buttery smooth and to be honest, i'd forgotten how i finished it and about halfway through the second pass I recalled that i had finished it on the coti slab. unbelievable stone.. so glad it;s in my stash...

another great brush, the VL Epsilon white bulb with MdC and the K.Louis ASL and once again a magnificent midmorning shave... i don't know that i have used the bulb version all that often, it felt pretty new in comparison to the white fan and brown bulb, but man what a brush.. load it well

Is the "slab" the same coti I've referred to as your curbstone? You did two razor for me on that one, the Zowada Carbon and a Geneva Cutlery. Both were superb.

Glad you fixed that monster razor to your liking, in any case.

Is the "slab" the same coti I've referred to as your curbstone? You did two razor for me on that one, the Zowada Carbon and a Geneva Cutlery. Both were superb.

Glad you fixed that monster razor to your liking, in any case.

yup, that's the rock, i kind of forgot i had it, it was on top of my hone library instead of in it with the other hones.. I'm glad too, i had remembered some folks saying they disliked O1 tool steel and i could really never figure out why, not unlike the swedish vs sheffield steel discussions. Putting this on this blade made me grin ear to ear..

glad you like the edges too, haven't honed in a while and this last 2 weeks got the bug and a bunch of new razors came in.

Top Bottom