What's new

global_dev straight journal

i've just been cruising with the subcero14 for a while, broke out the slant once.. all's good. i'm dying over here though, i am on a self imposed stop buying stuff and the waves of emotion are just incroyable... i needed a quick fix so i dove into my kit and pulled out a custom and had a lavender sess again

i tell ya the stuff i'd like to try is limited, but it's be enough $$, in the software category i'd love to try the Tabula Rosa line, almost all of them, and the Deluxe Mods/Rockers.. i don't know why these 2 stand out in particular.. but i am going to hold off for a bit... hardware wise - while ther are tons of cool stones and steel, i'd like to hold off for a set of 15/16 size 1/4 hollows all same blade shape but different steels and steel finishes. Honestly it could be a set of 2 or 3 and i'd be happy. like 1 or 2 damascus, 1 san mai, 1 with a hamon, 1 with stainless, 1 O1, 1 of something else (once i learn more about other steels).. well you get the picture..

todays's have was at 10AM, quiet house even though kid's school was closed in my county due to weather... 2 passer and fantastic edge.. love this razor

img_0336_rev.jpg

it's been a while since i shaved, mid march... however i lather up once in a while to groom/condition... not cleaning up any of the beard.. full grow out

been getting called grizzly a bunch and most people aren't recognizing me.. .

my wifes friend shred these 2 clips with us and i just smiled.. i imagine some won't be able to understand, and likely not your scene either..

Last edited by a moderator:
My beard became a bit ridiculous & glorious, since the last time I posted to this journal. But it's gone for a while. In a bet against my daughters to get them to be a bit more creative on the soccer pitch while I was recovering from a broken collarbone (on painkillers) on my dominant hand side, the beard bitter-sweetly went away.

So since about last time, I've probably only shaved 3x.. once with my slant (i can't remember when, but i know i did it) and twice now with straight (today and sometime in the last 30ish days). I've been keeping the beard with a couple days/weeks growth here and there. Something was always coming up which I didn't really fight for shave time. Been following the board and dipping my toe back in a bit, however clearly not enough because the scene has exploded and it took me a bunch of research to figure out all the new things and acronyms. Things have definitely changed in the last 3 years.

So the last shave (not todays), i grabbed my Hart, which was one of my first straights. It wasn't as smooth a go as I would have liked, I honestly forgot the unique things I do for my beard. I kind of remembered a bit, no problems with using both hands or angles, but the lather was kind of crap, dryand I tried to push it (not my favorite cream so i am not sure why I even used it), and while I didn't rush it, it was not the most comfortable.. but with today's shave it all came rushing back, all the motions and details, the lather was right. The edge wasn't as great as I remember, but that could be me still a bit out of the pocket. 2 passes and some touch up just to get my skin comfortably clean.

Hart (BG iirc)
Cella
Vie Long Epsilon Brown Horse 26mm bulb

Happy Holidays!

perfect light touch & angles. edge was super smooth. it's just getting back into the fold that I remember...

Hart 6/8
Vie Long Epsilon 26
Santa Maria Novella

proxy.php

hadnt shaved in about a week. lots of distractions. put a BBW edge on my hart and it was pretty good. lathered up a Grooming Dept Verbrannt with semogue mixed badger/boar. interesting scent, may take me a couple lathers to figure out what the hype is about. read its a “thirsty” soap. maybe i didnt have as much soap loaded as needed.

hadnt shaved in about a week. lots of distractions. put a BBW edge on my hart and it was pretty good. lathered up a Grooming Dept Verbrannt with semogue mixed badger/boar. interesting scent, may take me a couple lathers to figure out what the hype is about. read its a “thirsty” soap. maybe i didnt have as much soap loaded as needed.

For the BBW edge - was that just a refresh? Was it just with water?

hmm... I've had a couple of shaves since my last post here. Basically two straights, the Hart and a fresh GD66...I've been working on these edges to get them where I want and I finally got there yesterday.

I'm not sure what was up with the Hart, but a Chosera synth run and its fabulous. Smooth, sharp, excellent.

This GD66 has been a big pain in my tush, it's been a while since I fixed up one of these and some of my tools have gone astray, I'm sure I have them I just don't know what I did with them and I don't have easy access to figure out whats what.. I was trying to figure out this La Grise coticule (iirc) brick I have ( I honestly can't remember using this particular specimen satisfactorily, it's the backside of that BBW mentioned earlier) and I figured I could work the GD66 and I was a bit overwhelmed.. The shoulder was in the way, the spine was too wide, and the first edge was not there... probably because I initially worked the edge with a DMT 120 (XX), it moved a lot of metal, but left a lot to repair, in the end, I worked it through DMT 325 Coarse and DMT 600 Fine.

• SILVER (XX) Diamond - Extra-Extra Coarse
    Aggressive edge repair when bringing a tool back from what looks like the end of life –a safe alternative to powered grinding. (120 mesh, 120 micron)
  • BLUE (C) Diamond - Coarse
    Transforms a dull edge to cutting condition. (325 mesh, 45 micron)
  • RED (F) Diamond - Fine
    Use to put a great edge on slightly dull knives or tools. (600 mesh, 25 micron)

Once I had cut a nice bevel and edge and most all scratches were uniform, I glassed the edge and moved onto the la grise. I believe this stone is fast, not exceptionally, but really doesn't need a lot of slurry to act. A nice amount of half strokes and circles and some rollin x's and everything looked good to go.. some strop love to finish and a beautiful shave.

On to the next topic... after using the groom dept verbrannt (Primus) a couple times, which I thoroughly enjoy, a got bit by the soap bug.. really wanted to try some others. I ended up picking up some Tacit (janus) and some Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire. Really love the Tacit.. yesterdays shave I grabbed some MDC, to be honest, it worked pretty damn good. I also really want to love the Beaudelaire, I really enjoy it, it's not exactly my style, but the scent is pretty deep and rich, it definitely reminds me of a dark heavy brooding tabac relative, but is not at all tabac. My wife did describe it in the same way as she did tabac though.. old cigarettes and musty purse...

proxy.php

No personal pictures today. It's an unmodified GD 66. And I can't remember any of my kit model names that aren't written straight on it. I feel like I need a catalogue to remind me what I own and what the edges for the straight razors are.. I think I may convert a notebook just for that.. I know there are lots of pictures and descriptions here, it's just too hard to scroll through looking for one thing. I've done it plenty of times.

GD66 (w/ La Grise edge)
Thater 4376/6 - Silvertip plexi
Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire soap (excelsior), AS (deltus), EDT

proxy.php

proxy.php

hmm... I've had a couple of shaves since my last post here. Basically two straights, the Hart and a fresh GD66...I've been working on these edges to get them where I want and I finally got there yesterday.

I'm not sure what was up with the Hart, but a Chosera synth run and its fabulous. Smooth, sharp, excellent.

This GD66 has been a big pain in my tush, it's been a while since I fixed up one of these and some of my tools have gone astray, I'm sure I have them I just don't know what I did with them and I don't have easy access to figure out whats what.. I was trying to figure out this La Grise coticule (iirc) brick I have ( I honestly can't remember using this particular specimen satisfactorily, it's the backside of that BBW mentioned earlier) and I figured I could work the GD66 and I was a bit overwhelmed.. The shoulder was in the way, the spine was too wide, and the first edge was not there... probably because I initially worked the edge with a DMT 120 (XX), it moved a lot of metal, but left a lot to repair, in the end, I worked it through DMT 325 Coarse and DMT 600 Fine.

• SILVER (XX) Diamond - Extra-Extra Coarse
    Aggressive edge repair when bringing a tool back from what looks like the end of life –a safe alternative to powered grinding. (120 mesh, 120 micron)
  • BLUE (C) Diamond - Coarse
    Transforms a dull edge to cutting condition. (325 mesh, 45 micron)
  • RED (F) Diamond - Fine
    Use to put a great edge on slightly dull knives or tools. (600 mesh, 25 micron)

Once I had cut a nice bevel and edge and most all scratches were uniform, I glassed the edge and moved onto the la grise. I believe this stone is fast, not exceptionally, but really doesn't need a lot of slurry to act. A nice amount of half strokes and circles and some rollin x's and everything looked good to go.. some strop love to finish and a beautiful shave.

Wow- great job on the GD66. Interesting progression. I like the DMTs for corrective work - though I've never gone right down to XX course.

The La Grise is a lovely edge isn't? I love shaving off mine. Did I understand correctly that you just used a one off slurry or did you dilucot all the way to finish?

thanks, i have some other cotis that just knock my socks off and some that arent as easy to dial in, like this one. i’m not sure if its the razors i’m choosing to try it out on or what. an unmodded gd66 is probably not the best razor to give it a go on.

Since a previous attempt seemed to have issues with the stabilizer, i wanted to remove some material more quickly so i brought in the XX. I dont normally go below a 1K to set a bevel.

la grise progression used a very mild slurry and slowly diluted it until it was just water.

thanks, i have some other cotis that just knock my socks off and some that arent as easy to dial in, like this one. i’m not sure if its the razors i’m choosing to try it out on or what. an unmodded gd66 is probably not the best razor to give it a go on.

Since a previous attempt seemed to have issues with the stabilizer, i wanted to remove some material more quickly so i brought in the XX. I dont normally go below a 1K to set a bevel.

la grise progression used a very mild slurry and slowly diluted it until it was just water.
What are the cotis that knock your socks off?

Top Bottom