What's new

Glanrafon Welsh Hone

Wife's out this evening... I sense a deep-dive into the bathroom cabinet coming on ;).
Are these stones a slate or more like novaculite? Because my mystery green stone has lines on it like @timwic original picture but as I lapped it they disappeared and turned into a single dot. Initially I thought it was a Charnley but no red, and it's very different from my llyn idwal hones. It seems to be Flakey like turkey stones are but I haven't had any obvious ones flake off yet. I just want to know what it is so I can invite it's extended family into my home like the nurturing person I am. As far as I can tell though these are very slate like similar to a thuri.

Are these stones a slate or more like novaculite? Because my mystery green stone has lines on it like @timwic original picture but as I lapped it they disappeared and turned into a single dot. Initially I thought it was a Charnley but no red, and it's very different from my llyn idwal hones. It seems to be Flakey like turkey stones are but I haven't had any obvious ones flake off yet. I just want to know what it is so I can invite it's extended family into my home like the nurturing person I am. As far as I can tell though these are very slate like similar to a thuri.

Glanrafons are like a very hard and compact slate, harder than Thuris (at least mine is, and apparently most other people's). They actually have less slate like cleavage / flakiness than many Idwals do.

I think your stone is an interesting an unusual Idwal. Tim's one in the first post I've never thought looked 100% like a Glanrafon either, though obviously things are always difficult to say just from pics. But to my eye the way the patterns on his are make it look possibly more like the 'Cambrian Green' stone I was talking about in the other thread:

Screenshot 2022-06-17 114856.png

Just arrived View attachment 1473454
And now the backView attachment 1473456

Didn’t get a chance to use it. I sprayed it with a bit of water and it ran right off, so I went over it with w/d 1.5k. I was surprised how fast I got a light slurry. It feels similar to a thuringian in that it slurries faster than it’s density would lead you to believe. I thought these were more similar to arks, which take forever to slurry, especially with a high grit medium than to thuris . Am I missing something?

Nice!

I would call them hard for a slate, but no - not as hard as novaculites, and quite different feeling. My GR would be harder than any Thuri I've had I think.

Top Bottom