What's new

Girl Bands!

Who's your favorite?

• Total voters
These are bands who at the very least played their own instruments when performing live. The Supremes, for example, are not eligible.

While matters of taste don't require justification, it would be interesting to see the rationale behind anyone's choice who feels like sharing it.

If you don't see your favorite listed, please educate us!

I'm going Bangles, largely as a function of my age. They hit their stride when I was in middle school and a lot of their music is irresistibly catchy. While my circa-1986 plan to marry Susanna Hoffs never really panned out, I still find her voice to be uniquely beautiful... not to mention the rest of her.

I went to school with The Donnas, so they get my vote. 😎

Pretty cool, that.

My favorite girl bands are more solo/bandleader types who have played with a variety of different musicians over the years - sometimes all women but usually not - so I don’t think they qualify here.

Yeah, that list would be too unwieldy for me to wrap my head around. The Breeders, The Pretenders, Scandal, Dolly, Emmylou, The Carter Family, Janis Joplin, Linda Ronstadt, Cowboy Junkies, Mazzy Star, Patsy Cline, ad infinitum.

Going with the Bangles but I see Mazzy Star mentioned....altho not a 100% female band I love Hope Sandoval and Into the Dust is one of my all time favs.... it just drifts through me.

Bangles if I had to choose.

I think Susanna Hoffs is a cyborg. She doesn’t age at all. It is ridiculous.

This is her at 62.

1689698382819.jpeg

Were it not for one song I would have voted for the Bangles but this one song puts a band that most of you have never heard of in the top spot for me. I admit my bias may have been swayed by the fact that the song came out in 1995 which I will proclaim as the best year of my life. Also it's just a great song, despite the cheesy video. The Tuesdays - It's Up to You

brucered

System Generated
From that list The Bangles. A great band over the years. Even their 2000s offerings are good.

My favorite female band of all time is the single record offering from Linda Perry when she fronted "4 Non Blondes". She went on to do great things solo in terms of writing and producing, but that band was awesome.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
From that list The Bangles. A great band over the years, still putting out music.

My favorite female band of all time is the single record offering from Linda Perry when she fronted '4 Non Blondes". She went on to do great things solo in terms of writing and producing, but that band was awesome.
I'll have to look her up ...

Top Bottom