What's new

Gin Drinkers Unite!

Hendricks is my go to... with cucumber in a splash of tonic.

I recently tried Rogue Pink Spruce Gin... Yep, the same Rogue brewery in Portland is getting into spirits. This gin was awesome. They age it in spent pinot noir barrels! This stuff was amazing straight up.

http://www.rogue.com/spirits/pink-spruce-gin.php

proxy.php

I like the gimlet. It is my go-to gin drink when I'm out of tonic water. I use Rose's. Sometimes if I'm not looking for something quite as strong I'll add some club soda for a sort of cross between a gimlet and gin rickey. It could also be described as basically a tom collins with lime juice instead of lemon.

Hendricks is my go to... with cucumber in a splash of tonic.

I recently tried Rogue Pink Spruce Gin... Yep, the same Rogue brewery in Portland is getting into spirits. This gin was awesome. They age it in spent pinot noir barrels! This stuff was amazing straight up.

http://www.rogue.com/spirits/pink-spruce-gin.php

I'll have to keep an eye out for that as I'm both a huge fan of Gin and a big fan or Rogue. This particular gin sounds very interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up.

I typically keep the Tanqueray on hand, but all the good comments on the Hendricks might get me to pick that up.

There's nothing better than a G&T or a Tom Collins on a hot summer afternoon.

Gin is the perfect spirit.

Can someone comment on old raj gin? I've been tempted but it is absurdly expensive for gin - 20 bucks more than Hendricks even at my local liquor store and can't bring myself to lay down that kind of cash blind.

I prefer Hendricks, old raj at least the one i tried has, I think saffron. It is good but I found it a bit sweet

For martinis I use Hendricks or a local, organic gin here in MN called Farmer's Gin. Great nose on it.

For G&T I go with Tanqueray (sp?)

Seems like New Amsterdam and Hendricks are pretty popular around these parts.

For good reason!

Tom Collins all the way.

Seems like New Amsterdam and Hendricks are pretty popular around these parts.

For good reason!

Tom Collins all the way.

I've had both and I can say for the record that both are awesome. I'm partial to the Hendricks but I sure as hell wouldn't pass up on that New Amsterdam either. :thumbup1:

I like to make myself a dry martini before dinner fairly often; can't really put the cheaper gins in a martini and expect it to come off well - that cocktail really showcases the quality of your gin. Doesn't have to be expensive gin, but I think it should be assertive - something like Beefeater, Plymouth or Tanqueray is what I usually like. Bombay Sapphire makes great gin and tonics, but it's too soft for martinis, in my opinion. Same with New Amsterdam.

Also have to concur with one of the previous posts about a complete lack of basic knowledge of classic cocktails in most bars and restaurants. I had to stop a bartender once who was about to put sweet vermouth in a martini I ordered...

Having to coach a bartender to make a martini is just...wrong, but I sill have to almost every time.

I usually keep a bottle of Hendricks around, especially with summer coming up (For some reason I drink G&T more commonly in the summer than any other time). I also like bombay and sometimes drink tanq

Gin is what i drink.
Hendriicks
Sapphire
Citadel
I love to try new brands and I'm happy about the many gin artesenal distilleries opening up. I always drink it as a martini. not even G&Tonic

Try North Shore if you can find it. Very limited distribution, but worth looking for.

Big fan of the juniper, so Tanqueray, but lately I have been buying the more local Cascade Mountain as well.

It's all about the Hayman's Old Tom gin.
For something more inexpensive, Juniper Green Organic gin.
I like my Ramos gin fizz.

Plymouth is my gin of choice. I love a Plymouth martini with a twist of lemon.

Lower cost, Brokers Gin, with the plastic bowler hat to the cap. Great for the price, for a martini or G&Ts.

I also like gin in a Bloody Mary.

That being said, I am going to try the new Ransom Gin, supposedly from and old world recipe. Aviation is on my short list as well.

Last edited:
Plymouth is my gin of choice. I love a Plymouth martini with a twist of lemon.

Lower cost, Brokers Gin, with the plastic bowler hat to the cap. Great for the price, for a martini or G&Ts.

I also like gin in a Bloody Mary.
That being said, I am going to try the new Ransom Gin, supposedly from and old world recipe. Aviation is on my short list as well.

I'll have to try a gin Bloody Mary. I have only had a Vodka one, but the aromatics from gin sound like they would play nice in it.

Gin and Tonics tonight:

Fill glass w/ ice; add 3 oz of gin, 4 oz of tonic water, then 1/4 of a squeezed lime in that order and then stir. I then add the other quarter of the lime for garnish-refreshing!

Either Tanqueray or Seagram's.

marty

Top Bottom