What's new

Warm weather cocktails

Hey all,

So I'm a bourbon guy. No two ways about it. When its warm out though, sometimes I like something a little more... well... light and refreshing. Gin and tonics are a favorite in my house. My wife loves them and I enjoy playing bartender. We usually go for Boodles gin since it is pretty good and dirt cheap. I love Hendricks, Bombay Saphire, and Tanqueray 10, but for the money, I dont really think its worth it for a G&T.

What do you guys like drinking in the warm weather?

Hard to beat gin and tonic. Pretty much my year round drink.

Try Hendricks and tonic with cucumber slices instead of limes.

Also, try a Mojito, Margarita, or a Cosmopolitan. Those are three of SWMBO's favorites.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
G&T is pretty much tops, and you'll find me whipping up quite a few martinis and margaritas during the summer.

I also like a mint julep, sherry & tonic, rum & tonic (truly amazing with that squeeze of lime), gin & Dubonnet, Dark and Stormy, and a real daiquiri.

Rum goes very well with hot weather, almost as good as gin.

If you (or SWMBO for that matter) likes gin you should try a gimlet. Just getting the right proportion of gin to lime juice could take all summer! To your very good health! :001_smile

G&T is pretty much tops, and you'll find me whipping up quite a few martinis and margaritas during the summer.

I also like a mint julep, sherry & tonic, rum & tonic (truly amazing with that squeeze of lime), gin & Dubonnet, Dark and Stormy, and a real daiquiri.

Rum goes very well with hot weather, almost as good as gin.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

OOOOHHH!! Rum and Tonic huh???? That sounds pretty good! Do you spiced rum, dark rum, or light rum? I have a bottle of bacardi (the clear stuff) that might get some use!

If you (or SWMBO for that matter) likes gin you should try a gimlet. Just getting the right proportion of gin to lime juice could take all summer! To your very good health! :001_smile

I LOVE gimlets! I agree that getting exactly the right proportions are key. Time to add that back to my rotation!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
G&Ts and Gimlets here. Usually with Seagram's If it was good enough for Snoop Dog it's good enough for me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm a fan of the Mojito.
Best one I ever had was at the Luxor in Vegas. Real sugar cane sticks!

I work in a cocktail bar (not high end) and came up with this for summer:

Summer Sour

25ml Gin
25ml Aperol
25ml Fresh lemon juice
1 egg white.

Shake on ice and strain into a glass of your choice. Quick, easy and very refreshing.

I love gin and tonics if using the right gin. I like Hendricks and Botnist. A mojito or real daiquiri are nice also when it is warm out.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I contend there is nothing like an 'ice' cold mass produced American Pilsner in the dog days of summer.

I second this. I will take an ice cold beer over any drink on a hot summer day.

There are occasions where a cold cocktail is in order though.

Amaretto and Squirt over ice..... Make that cheap amaretto and Squirt. A nice mix with which to cruise around the lake on the pontoon. Or a Dark and Stormy

I know not a cocktail per se, but a well made shanty (beer+lemonade) is very refreshing on a warm day.
And, if you like a little bitter/sour Campari+soda+ice goes down very well on warm, sticky days, too.

:thumbup1:

Every cocktail here has to be a warm weather one(!) G&T and Gimlet would be my choice, and a good shandy is also a great refresher. In fact, I might have to have a G&T soon, I am thirsty from the thread already...

Something very popular in the Far East is a Gunner: equal parts ginger beer (or lemonade) and ginger ale with a dash of Angostura bitters and sometimes a measure of lime cordial or lemon juice, very refreshing and a good day time drink when you have to go back to the office!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!!

OOOOHHH!! Rum and Tonic huh???? That sounds pretty good! Do you spiced rum, dark rum, or light rum? I have a bottle of bacardi (the clear stuff) that might get some use!

I make rum and tonics too. I like dark rum -- like Goslings or Screech -- the Bacardi will work fine, too. And I use a slice of orange.

Top Bottom