What's new

Gillette's newest gimmick to buy their products

Fusion was one of the best carts that ever used but rinsing was tedious,and I even tried a waterpik! They're "almost there" in close and comfort but recurring cost and rinsing is just too much for me (says the guy collecting almost every kind of adjustable that he can find). The only thing I see happening with this new dyson razor is the skill required goes down further. Putting a blade to your skin is not something I would want to be easy because there needs to be skill applied in the process.

Perhaps the next thing Gillette will come up with is a spring tension setting on their cartridge razors for different levels of pressure. This of course will come after the retrofitted tactical flashlight, back scratcher, gps navigation, and quad-core processor. Ok that last bit was a bash on the cart razor. :a52:

Says the majority of the DE users on this board that migrated from cartridges to DE razors. :laugh:

Within my somewhat limited personal experience (wetshaving since 1973) DE blades do offer a better shave than cartridges.

I'm a rookie, compared to you ... wetshaving since 1985. Atra (Contour) razor, and (old fashioned) a DE razor (yes, I had only one, compared to the zillion the average wetshaver has nowadays!).

But I can get an excellent shave from both my DE razors (child of my time, I only have two very mild DE razors) or from my cartridge razors (also from the 1980s). I do not know about modern systems, but the Gillette Atra served me well. It still does, with good carts. As does my Schick DE razor with a good blade.

I believe that cartridges don't work for some people. I believe that modern cartridges shave different from the early cartridges. Probably worse for some, better for others.

I also believe that it's cool to bash cartridges in this community. I can get a good shave with various tools, provided that my prep is right, and I use soaps that do not irritate my skin.

I wonder if Dyson, the inventor of the ball technology, will have a say in this...

In the immortal words of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "can you smell what the rock is cooking?"

Smells like a lawsuite waiting to happen.

Er no....I expect P&G's patent lawyers have gone over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I noted the video mentions a $200 million marketing campaign is planned.

I know you have to "get the word out" on the street. But that's a lot of coin for an ad campaign, even if you buy a Super Bowl commercial.

A 30 second Super Bowl commercial is $4 million

A 30 second Super Bowl commercial is $4 million

So that's enough for several Super Bowl commercials. And a whole lotta NBA play-offs. And a couple of Masters Tournaments. And some Playboy ads.

Wonder how much they spent on R&D?

So that's enough for several Super Bowl commercials. And a whole lotta NBA play-offs. And a couple of Masters Tournaments. And some Playboy ads.

Wonder how much they spent on R&D?

I am sure they will claim a lot more than it actually was, I never did believe they spent $750 million on the Sensor.
Cuttiing Edge, the Gillette book gives clues that amount is all hype.

Oh, they sell it twice. What a racket.

Yeah, it's Canadian vs US rights so Gillette Canada will do the advertising on the channel with the Canadian rights. The ad rates are far cheaper in Canada but I'm not exactly sure what the current 30 sec spot goes for.

Now as far as Rick Harrison's public endorsment goes, I have mixed feeling towards it. On one hand it's good that he's encouraging people to get a safety razor because after they see that they can get better shave with another razor and different blades, that brings in another person into our hobby and maybe even a few of their friends. The bad part is the fact that he's promoting a cheap razor that's poorply made and mid level blades that gets mixed reviews.

Totally agree, but he also lost my respect by selling his name for cheap as seen on TV products. The guy is greedy and wants more and more money - his store is full of "memorabilia" for his show up the yin yang from what people have said. The razor isn't the only thing he tries to hawk - some kind of percolator coffee pot as well.

Mixing the Dyson vac with a razor is brilliant! Combining two unrelated ideas can make a genius product. I can't wait to try it.

It can be argued that the DE's created after the Straight razor is a gimmick product. The safety razor, as a rule, is meant to sell blades or carts. What's true in 1930 is true today. What business wouldn't want to make more money?!

As a cart user, I'm the brother of DE user. They're both Safety Razors, meaning we need the training wheels.

Last edited:
Mixing the Dyson vac with a razor is brilliant! Combining two unrelated ideas can make a genius product. I can't wait to try it.

The only thing that would surprise me about this ball is if it hasn't been prototyped years ago.

I'm a rookie, compared to you ... wetshaving since 1985. Atra (Contour) razor, and (old fashioned) a DE razor (yes, I had only one, compared to the zillion the average wetshaver has nowadays!).

But I can get an excellent shave from both my DE razors (child of my time, I only have two very mild DE razors) or from my cartridge razors (also from the 1980s). I do not know about modern systems, but the Gillette Atra served me well. It still does, with good carts. As does my Schick DE razor with a good blade.

I believe that cartridges don't work for some people. I believe that modern cartridges shave different from the early cartridges. Probably worse for some, better for others.

I also believe that it's cool to bash cartridges in this community. I can get a good shave with various tools, provided that my prep is right, and I use soaps that do not irritate my skin.

Because of several threads related to cartridges I know you get good shaves from a variety of cartridges. What I think you're not focusing on is that many people DO NOT!

I don't happen to get a good shave with a Merkur 34C and a Silver Blue blade. I just don't. I love Astra's, 7 O'Clocks, Blue Labs, and many other blades that give me a good shave. But I know many on this board get great shaves from Silver Blues. It's likely that I don't get a good shave from them not because its a bad blade, it's just incompatible with MY face on MY razor with MY technique.

What you get with DEs is a ridiculously large variety of blades, angles, and tools to find what works best for you.

Personally I can get a great shave with a vibrating fusion, even without the prep I need to get a great shave from my DE. But I do get a better shave with my DE. And I can't get a good shave out of a Trac II to save my life.

I think you're right that it's common to bash cartridges on this site. Well, it's really a site dedicated to old fashioned wet shaving. Most of us are here because we're passionate about it. Even when I got good shaves from a Fusion, I never visited a forum or talked to my friends about it....

Because of several threads related to cartridges I know you get good shaves from a variety of cartridges. What I think you're not focusing on is that many people DO NOT!

I think that statement can not be quantified. There are 49,000 members on B&B, probably many are inactive. The most online was 3587, when I look at how many are online its roughly 1500. Other forums are a lot smaller. So views here, although vocal are minute. It impossible to state that many do not receive fine shaves from cartridges. Those who are vocal here, are generally recent converts who become too zealous and never venture back with their new learned technique. Gillette is losing market share and sales, but we were in a recession and styles change - just look at the George and Ben photo used in the media to emphasize this point.

^ I've gotten some really epic shaves with this stuff using my Weishi and a DE Feather blade. Buying these cartridges is a waste of money. The Mach 3 turbo cartridge system was good because the blades were comfort coated and they didn't nick or cut you all to pieces like the regular Mach 3 cartridges did.

Just curious. How does this stuff differ from any of their other gels/foams?

Just curious. How does this stuff differ from any of their other gels/foams?

All foams and gels are really pretty vanilla stuff and I wouldn't buy one major brand over another major brand based on a performance edge. As long as your are not using bargain basement gel or foam you shouldn't notice any real difference.

Top Bottom