What's new

Gillette’s new cartridge razor - they removed blades!!!

I found this funny. Now Gillette is coming out with a two blade razor. The shape is similar to the old five blade cartridge but now they have “skin guard” technology! Here’s a snippet, which tells it all...

“Here’s the funniest part, though. Gillette’s new SkinGuard and its two blades will cost $8 for a handle and one cartridge. Four additional cartridges will cost $18 through Gillette’s razor blade subscription service. The three-blade Mach3 is $10 for four cartridges. That means the two-blade Gillettee razor costs almost twice what the three-blade one costs. Put differently, you can buy the Mach3 for almost half the price of the SkinGuard and get 50 percent more blades. Again, it’s quite the marketing strategy!”

https://gizmodo.com/gillettes-latest-innovation-is-removing-blades-from-raz-1830288715

The next next version will be a bladeless plastic Tech; it won't remove whiskers... but it will cost just $66 per month via subscription. Genius!

I admire Gillette, generating money out of thin air with their marketing plots is pure genius, I definitely don't admire people that fall for it!

What I don't get is why the Gillette Tracii carts are so expensive. Why would anyone pay $2 per cartridge for their Tracii. You can purchase Personna Tracii from Amazon for .30 per cartridge and they are just as good as Gillette's Tracii. I'm waiting for the patent to come off the mach3 carts. When Personna can make mach3 carts they too will be much cheaper.

What I don't get is why the Gillette Tracii carts are so expensive. Why would anyone pay $2 per cartridge for their Tracii. You can purchase Personna Tracii from Amazon for .30 per cartridge and they are just as good as Gillette's Tracii. I'm waiting for the patent to come off the mach3 carts. When Personna can make mach3 carts they too will be much cheaper.

Gillette has no motivation to cut the price of Trac and Atra cartridges. There are no handles being produced, they probably aren't regularly running a line to produce the cartridges, the retail stores have taken the orders and they'll just sell what they have. If the stores are carrying them then they must be selling well enough to suit everyone.

Also, the Mach 3 is out of patent and Personna is making cartridges to fit the handle. As I write this, you can buy them at Walmart for $11.88 for a 10-pack. I assume they're Personnas, anyway, they are made in the US.

Gillette has no motivation to cut the price of Trac and Atra cartridges. There are no handles being produced, they probably aren't regularly running a line to produce the cartridges, the retail stores have taken the orders and they'll just sell what they have. If the stores are carrying them then they must be selling well enough to suit everyone.

Also, the Mach 3 is out of patent and Personna is making cartridges to fit the handle. As I write this, you can buy them at Walmart for $11.88 for a 10-pack. I assume they're Personnas, anyway, they are made in the US.
You can buy a new handle on Amazon. I have a new Parker Atra pivot. A much nicer Tracii handle then Gillette ever made. You can also buy it without the pivot. The Personna Twin Pivot Cartridges can be used with or without a pivot handle. I will have to check out the Walmart Carts. Thanks for the heads up.

You can buy a new handle on Amazon. I have a new Parker Atra pivot. A much nicer Tracii handle then Gillette ever made. You can also buy it without the pivot. The Personna Twin Pivot Cartridges can be used with or without a pivot handle. I will have to check out the Walmart Carts. Thanks for the heads up.

I meant, Gillette isn't making or offering Trac or Atra handles for sale. It's out of patent, they don't care what any third parties are doing. Buyers of those products aren't even worth Gillette's attention.

As for the Personna Trac/Atra combo cartridges, I know about them. Dorco makes them too, that's what's sold at Dollar General six for $1.65. I have a Trac handle and an Atra handle, and used these in both handles, they work fine. Can't use the Atra anymore, now that I shave DE I've forgotten how to work a pivoting head razor. That aside, I don't know if I'm going to mess with these much anymore. I don't know what value I get from a Trac that I can't get from the 5 for a buck fixed-head twin blade disposables.

Last edited:
I'll never get the idea that they need to be so bloody big! 'Good' Gillette two blader's already exist, so why would I want a mile of strip between my blades. Maybe their for people who don't want a good shave, or shave near the nose, or odd neck spaces?

it's all about bringing something new to market, and making people think it's a great deal, luckily we have Gillette double edge blades available on the cheap to us, so we are still good that way. Just proves that carts are a rip off, they always have been, always will be.

Top Bottom