What's new

Gillette Tech + blades for newbie?

Shavers,

Recently introduced my step-grandson to a small Omega boar brush (Bigger Bambino) and a puck of VDH. So far, so good. Apparently he has fairly sensitive skin. He is now using Harry's razors. Previously he used an electric. (Sometimes he does a beard, or partial one.)

I am ready to pass on a nice post war ball end tech.

Question: What two or three blades should I give him to start? Remember, total newbie. So, I am thinking Feathers are not right. Astra? Personna?

What do you suggest for the young man? Thanks.

Maybe have a few blades for him to try, including Feather’s. Nacet, Kai’s. I started with Feathers in a Feather razor without any issues.

I tried techs while I was still "new" and found them to be frustrating. I have very heavy beard growth and my hair is much darker then my skin color so anything less then full on 100% BBS and you will see stubble on my face from a distance. The tech was so mild that even with a feather I still couldn't get rid of visible stubble. Feathers are weird for me, everyone says the sharper the blade the cleaner the cut but feathers don't shave me any closer or easier then other blades and do cause much more irritation. If he doesn't have heavy growth then a tech is probably a great starting point and could be paired very well with a gsb, personna, Astra SP, or nacet.

You also could just save him a lifetime of RAD by just giving him a slant to start :)

Derby Green perhaps? I've had decent luck with them, they keep an edge for like 4-5 shaves for me. I'm working my way through a sampler that apparently consists entirely of Lord-made brands. Of those I can only stand the Sharks. They shave well and last a while.
... And Wilkinson Sword blades.
I started off on these and like them too.

Good choice. Wish I had started out with a tech. For a blade i would go with astra, Gillette silver blue or personna.

Good choice. Wish I had started out with a tech. For a blade i would go with astra, Gillette silver blue or personna.

Thanks. I started with a tech and Gillette Blue Blades...in 1966. Those blades and my technique both left something to be desired.

Any of the sharper Russian PTFE coated blades.

Astra. Voskhod.

The Gillette India Black is a smooth sharp blade but a little harder to find

I was also suggest GSBs or Personna Reds. I think the GSBs may be a tad bit sharper, but the Personnas, to me, seem to be the best combination of sharpness, smoothness, and longevity.

Me personally - I would probably suggest a 40's style or Flare Tip Super Speed if I was starting a beginner off with a vintage Gillette. Like @slybrewguy guy said, Techs, since they're so mild, can be frustrating as they have a more narrow sweet spot. The SS is medium/mild, yet more forgiving. Plus, it's a TTO, so maybe just a little more safe for a beginner learning how to handle DE blades.

Whatever razor/blade you end up giving him, I hope he uses it in good health. I know he'll appreciate receiving such a thing from you, and it will always be special to him!

Top Bottom