What's new

Gillette Slim Binding

Hello All,

I recently purchased a barely used Gillette Slim, and soaked it in regular strength Barbacide as part of the cleaning process. I normally only do this for 10-15 minutes, but I got distracted by something else and it ended up in the Barbacide solution for 3-4 hours. Upon removing it I immediately noticed that the adjuster knob and the 1/4 turn lock took a lot of resistance to move, so I let it soak in hot soapy water for a while to flush out all the Barbacide. It was still not nearly as smooth as when I first got it, so I applied some mineral oil and tested it again. It works better but still occasionally binds up when trying to close the 1/4 twist especially at setting 4 or above. Is it possible that the Barbacide caused some internal damage to the razor, and is there anything else I can do at this point to restore it back to its original function?

R

romsitsa

Most likely it was full of mineral deposits and other gunk. Gunk was flushed out, deposits remained and now the rough surfaces grind on each other.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that I would keep on soaking it in dishwashing liquid. I would even try to pour some down the centre into the mechanism as this has works for me in the past.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some additional soaking in soapy water, and then ran hot water over the top of the adjustment dial and into the bottom twist to lock knob while working them back and forth. This seems to have mostly loosened it back up, although it's surprising to think that a razor that more or less looked unused would have any buildup in the mechanism.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some additional soaking in soapy water, and then ran hot water over the top of the adjustment dial and into the bottom twist to lock knob while working them back and forth. This seems to have mostly loosened it back up, although it's surprising to think that a razor that more or less looked unused would have any buildup in the mechanism.
Some sellers are very good and have new looking razors....but inside the crud persists.....it's much more difficult to get it out of there..... I have put some standing on open doors in the ultrasonic and the stuff that comes out will have you reconsider using it... and always end up having to brush wash it w soap than scrubbing bubbles and some alcohol.... but they turn out nice and work.

Some sellers are very good and have new looking razors....but inside the crud persists.....it's much more difficult to get it out of there..... I have put some standing on open doors in the ultrasonic and the stuff that comes out will have you reconsider using it... and always end up having to brush wash it w soap than scrubbing bubbles and some alcohol.... but they turn out nice and work.
It makes me to wonder how TTO razors eclipsed the older three-piece razors. I don't believe the TTO shaved better than the three-piece.

I suggest the three piece razor won the public over primarily because of the claim of convenience; however, speaking of convenience it's much easier to clean the older three-piece models. And all razors should be cleaned occasionally.

TTO's are easier to use for many customers that are not very handy and fear the blade... (there are some in my family) and those are the ones that jumped when the first electric came out.....

... or put it in an ultrasonic cleaner....
I have put some standing on open doors in the ultrasonic and the stuff that comes out will have you reconsider using it...

Depending on the power of the ultrasonic cleaner, the duration (time setting) of the cleaning process and/or the chemistry of the solution used, the paint for the engraved numbers will or could suffer!

I never use ultrasonic cleaners for razor parts with paint or glue involved.

I prefer TTO’s for the cool old school mechanics and the ease of use. I just think they are cooler and more ‘industrial’ than 3-pieces :001_wub:

When I get a TTO mostly Gillettee adjustable's , I'll soak them in Scrubbing Bubbles a few times making sure it goes down the barrel. then flush with hot tap water. Then soak in Dawn and hot tap water and flush with hot water. One of these days I need to get an ultasonic cleaner, save allot of soaking.
On the razor type note, except for slants, I like most razors, both TTO's and 3 piece

When I get a TTO mostly Gillettee adjustable's , I'll soak them in Scrubbing Bubbles a few times making sure it goes down the barrel. then flush with hot tap water. Then soak in Dawn and hot tap water and flush with hot water. One of these days I need to get an ultasonic cleaner, save allot of soaking.
Please note my warning two posts above. If you want to use an ultrasonic cleaner regardless, I recommend that you tape the numbers, which should prevent damage then.
(Of course only as long as the fluid used is not of aggressive chemistry. Soap, dish liquid etc will be fine.)

Please note my warning two posts above. If you want to use an ultrasonic cleaner regardless, I recommend that you tape the numbers, which should prevent damage then.
(Of course only as long as the fluid used is not of aggressive chemistry. Soap, dish liquid etc will be fine.)
Thanks Drydown for the heads up on using an ultrasonic, if I get one. But I would only use Scrubbing Bubbles or Dawn on my new vintage razors. Otherwise I've thoroughly rinsed, dried and hung a razor after each use.

Top Bottom