What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable vs Super Speed?

Hello Gentlemen,

Lately I have been debating picking up a Gillette Slim Adjustable or a Super speed and was wondering, which the forum would recommend more? There are currently some nice Super Speeds for sale on the forum but I have been having trouble finding a slim adjustable.

Regards,

Cody

They are both great, classic razors.

The Slim, being adjustable, has a wider range of settings that allow you to find the level of aggression that suits you best.

But a SS is capable of delivering great shaves and is easily acquired.

I say Super Speed all the way. Adjustables are nifty and nice to have, but as far as shaving goes, non-adjustables are king.

I'm a big fan of the adjustables over the super speeds. Very much a personal preference thing as you can already tell. Either is readily available on ebay or the bst with a little patience.

Yes it truly about preference. I shaved for the longest with a SS, had my first shave with a slim recently and absolutely loved it. The simple answer is to try both.

The Super Speed is like a belt with only 1 hole. It will fit some people, but you can't tighten or loosen it to fit. The adjustable has 9 holes.

There is no way the forum can recommend one over the other. You should have one of each. Or two or three of each. Both are excellent shavers. Maybe start with the SS and then add the adjustable for variety. If I only could have one it would be the adjustable, set on about #3 it is just like a Super Speed.

I have 1 of each of the "main" classic gillettes. I've learned that even though you can set the slim to a setting that equals the aggressiveness of a tech, SS, red tip, or new --- the shaves will be very different from each of the above. This is due to differences in the blade angle, weight, head shape, and handle length.

I like the slim and fat boy. I have spots along the jawline that I have to adjust to a 4. The rest gets a 6. I also like the Blue Tip.

YMMV but I was not a fan of my SS. Too mild for me. But that was just with my face. I loved my Slim. Lighter than my fatboy (although I never weighed it) easy to maneuver around my moustache, and it's adjustable.

If you are fine with a nice mild shaver, SS. If you want various settings, Slim. A slim will probably be more expensive.

Thank you all for your input! Been scouring the thrift stores and flea markets for the past couple weeks in the hopes of finding a nice Gillette. If it is still available in August, I may try to get that Slim Adjustable on the seller's board.

I went through the same thing, trying to decide which to buy. I decided to get the Slim first as it seemed to be fewer of them around. Mine is a 62 model. Of course, I later picked up a 55 Superspeed. Honestly, I like them both and i never adjust the Slim once I found my number. Both will give you a good shave.

YMMV but I was not a fan of my SS. Too mild for me. But that was just with my face. I loved my Slim. Lighter than my fatboy (although I never weighed it) easy to maneuver around my moustache, and it's adjustable.

If you are fine with a nice mild shaver, SS. If you want various settings, Slim. A slim will probably be more expensive.

+1

If those were my only choices, I would choose the adjustable.

My setting on Slim adjustable is '49 Super Speed.

Depends on which Super Speed for me! I have a '49 which is my favorite SS. A '57 which feels like the '49 only with a flare tip. And a '66 flare tip which I like the least. All fine shavers though.

Personally, I find the SS to feel a bit insubstantial in my XL hands, and I would go for a long handle version of the Super Adjustable. JMO, YMMV (as always).

Top Bottom