What's new

Gillette Skinguard

Picked one up at Walmart this weekend. Tried it this morning.

Initial impressions? Mild. Has the slime strip, so combined with my Mama Bear's no-fragrance soap, I didn't have to rinse between passes. Enough soap/slime slickness was left behind that just a little extra water made it work. Just a little irritation.

Now, I have been using a Oneblade Core with the FHS-10 blades, and I have had zero irritation. The Core has been a game changer for me.

I'll use the Skinguard again, just to try it out. I'll most likely give it to my son, and I'll stick to the Core.

Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Do Sensitive versions of razors make a difference? Do they actually differ?
I have used Mach3, Hydro5, and Quattro Titanium sensitive versions, I didn't feel a noticeable difference. I have yet to try my Skinguard, I won't complain that it's mild as I imagine that's the idea.

From what I've seen, most "sensitive" versions just have a different additive in the lube strip & nothing to do with blade position, e.g. Schick Hydro. However, the Skinguard has the blades positioned slightly back as compared to the Fusion. I wouldn't just call Skinguard "mild," I'd call it inefficient. The lube strip is really slimy & it misses the curly neck hairs that lay parallel to the skin. For me, the Guard is a better shave.

I tried it on a weekend trip and it delivered a pretty decent shave, but the light rubbery boxy head felt weird after a year of exclusively DE shaving. and i used a fusion for like a decade before DE, funny how quickly you forget.

The strangest phenomenon i experienced was that it smoothly and effortlessly cut the hairs, but left behind a very thin layer of shaving cream as if it wasn't cutting or making contact, but it was doing both...this video by KenSurfs shows the same experience - cue up / fast forward to his XTG 2nd pass at 13:15 for the best example -

Both times I used the SkinGuard it laid down so much goo it was just skating over the shaving cream and whiskers. Yes, there was zero irritation, but there wasn’t much cutting going on either. I finished with a different razor both times and haven’t used it again since. I’m not a big fan of slime monsters like it or the Schick Hydros.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Skin Guard is great for a couple things.
1. You easily suffer in grown hairs - it does not cut close, so no worries.
2. You mangled your face with a different razor yesterday and want to shave today and let it heal at the same time.

I think it's a great razor for it's intended market but as I can get close comfortable shaves from monsters with 7 blades that cut close, I'm not really the target market.

Top Bottom