What's new

Gillette Silver Blue

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
GSB's are my new favorite blade. Wondering if I should give the Nacets a try. Any of you who like GSB's think Nacets are not as good, equal, better?

GSB's are my new favorite blade. Wondering if I should give the Nacets a try. Any of you who like GSB's think Nacets are not as good, equal, better?
GSBs are good and smooth.
Like others have stated, Nacets are a wee bit sharper. Yes try them out , only you can decide which blade is better for your face.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Had a GSB loaded today. It wasn't a great shave. Maybe it was the pairing with the Feather ASD2

After the first shave Nacet are sharper than a new Feather blade... I would say Nacet, Perma Sharp (gets sharper for two or three shaves), Feather (great first shave but gets dull quick) , Bic Chrome Platinum (gets very sharp after first shave) are all equal footing and GSB just a touch below around similar like Asta Super Stainless (blue) and Gillette 7'OClock Sharp (yellow).

I like Nacets and GSBs about equally. Nacets may be slightly sharper, GSBs slightly smoother, but both are excellent blades.

For what it is worth, my ‘top tier’ in no particular order:
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red (Israeli)
Personna lab (or Med Preps, which I find essentially the same)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For what it is worth, my ‘top tier’ in no particular order:
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red (Israeli)
Personna lab (or Med Preps, which I find essentially the same)

Absolutely love your list...with the exception of the Astra SP. To me it's kinda like, "Which one doesn't belong?" Of course, I realize that blades are such a personal YMMV thing. I started with Astra SP and I had about 70+ Astra SP blades left when I started checking out other blades. I ended up PIF'ing them to a B&B member a while back who uses and likes them. Before I PIF'ed them though, I tried...one more time...and had a shave with one. I knew almost immediately, they are not for me.

Just wanted to let you know, I admire you...you've found that one razor that just does it right and are content and no longer need to explore. I'm shooting for that and I think I've finally found that razor just recently. I may end up PIF'ing a lot more stuff soon. Will see.

Polsilver is tops for me, but GSB is an adequate replacement. I didn't like Nacet, perhaps I should try it again. Med Preps are right up there for me. I am looking for consistent sharpness and smoothness, not longevity-3 shaves and that's it. GSBs are about $0.14 per blade, or about a nickel per shave for me. I don't want to go through a harsh shave the first time I use a blade if I can help it, hence my value on consistency.

Polsilver is tops for me, but GSB is an adequate replacement. I didn't like Nacet, perhaps I should try it again. Med Preps are right up there for me. I am looking for consistent sharpness and smoothness, not longevity-3 shaves and that's it. GSBs are about $0.14 per blade, or about a nickel per shave for me. I don't want to go through a harsh shave the first time I use a blade if I can help it, hence my value on consistency.
Nacet & Astra Super Stainless (blue ones not the terrible green!) are very consistent over two or three shaves. I'm in total agreement with you here... Consistency is important. Can I ask how you would rate your whiskers 'coarseness'? For me I have very stiff growth so 'need' a sharper blade (especially In a DE, if I'm using my Kamisori I can go a bit Lees sharp and vert towards smooth... What works amazingly in the single not always the same in the DE. Gillette 7'OClock (Yellow) always give a great shave in single edge. In my R89 Feather have a great first shave but then downhill from there... As opposed to Gillette Permasharp that just get better over three shaves. Dorco Prime Platinum might also be worth a look.

GSB are my favorite DE blade..when I’m not using a SR I almost always use my red tip super speed with a GSB...Then I always wonder afterwards why I use anything else..Super smooth and sharp in the red tip...YMMV
9B524001-6274-4CAF-9099-0776B88ACFFA.jpeg

I like Nacets and GSBs about equally. Nacets may be slightly sharper, GSBs slightly smoother, but both are excellent blades.
Nacet are indeed sharper (measurably so) Gillette Platinum, and the 7'OClock Sharp (Yellow & Green) along with a few others are also sharper out of the packet (and more consistent) than the GSB. It's definately a good blade but there are better out there for same price and better consistency.

Nacet & Astra Super Stainless (blue ones not the terrible green!) are very consistent over two or three shaves. I'm in total agreement with you here... Consistency is important. Can I ask how you would rate your whiskers 'coarseness'? For me I have very stiff growth so 'need' a sharper blade (especially In a DE, if I'm using my Kamisori I can go a bit Lees sharp and vert towards smooth... What works amazingly in the single not always the same in the DE. Gillette 7'OClock (Yellow) always give a great shave in single edge. In my R89 Feather have a great first shave but then downhill from there... As opposed to Gillette Permasharp that just get better over three shaves. Dorco Prime Platinum might also be worth a look.
Not particularly coarse, but I find, as I age, my whiskers get tougher. I shave every other day and need the sharpness to do 2 1/2 passes WTG and XTG with as little buffing as possible (I use a very mild razor-DE89). I am prone to irritation if I have to buff under my chin or do ATG. (I think I have these acronyms right).

Last edited:
Not particularly coarse, but I find, as I age, my whiskers get tougher. I shave every other day and need the sharpness to do 2 1/2 passes WTG and XTG with as little buffing as possible (I use a very mild razor-DE89). I am prone to irritation if I have to buff under my chin or do ATG. (I think I have these acronyms right).
Very similar to me then. I use Muhle R89, Nacet, Feather, Permasharp, Minora, Bic all work really well as they are sharp and smooth, they last two to three shaves with three passes each shave. I'm going to try the Dorco Super Platinum this week too.

I use GSBs as a sub for Polsilver. I still like Pols better, but the GSBs are available, and my last 100 was (were?) under $0.14 each. I find them smooth and sharp. The glue is a PITA though.

I also liked the Polsilver..But at the time I used them It was still early days for me and I didn’t tell much difference from the nacets or the GSB.But that was then,if I was to try them now some time later I would probably feel different..I really don’t use my DE razor much now that I’m on a straight razor trip.I do see that ALOT of people really like the polsilver.GSB have always worked for me.YMMV as I see some do NOT like them

Top Bottom