What's new

WTB Gillette RFB or replated Old Type.

Hey there,

I think I want to buy a nice Gillette RFB. Or at least I'm interested in what would be a reasonable price for that. Nice means for me that it should either be NOS or close to NOS aesthetics, or flawlessly replated. (Many would disagree with replating, I know, but that's what I'm into now.)

The reason I phrased like "I think" is that I have never used an RFB, but all I read about it makes me think it is similar in characteristics to my favorite Old Type. I had an R41 as a sole daily driver until I got hold of a nice, still pretty worn Old Type, which pushed the R41 off its throne. I find the two pretty similar, and the Gillette OT more comfortable.

So unless I hear sound opinions that I couldn't be more wrong about the RFB, that's what I'd like with new look'n'feel. Otherwise I'd go for an OT.

So if you know what should be a usual price for such a Gillette RFB, or if you happen to have one for sale, help me out. :)

Many thanks
Andras

RFB’s are the British versions of the New LC, so a very different shave than the Old Types.
Sorry, but this is not true!
There is a NEW LC British made and then there is RFB NEW, which is only British made.
British NEW is slightly different than North American NEW (assuming the US and Canadian NEW are almost the same performer).
The RFB NEW is different performer than the NEW LC (any origin)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Sorry, but this is not true!
There is a NEW LC British made and then there is RFB NEW, which is only British made.
British NEW is slightly different than North American NEW (assuming the US and Canadian NEW are almost the same performer).
The RFB NEW is different performer than the NEW LC (any origin)
I agree that they perform differently. I was simply trying to make a comparison between the New and the RFB vis a vis the OP’s belief that the RFB was like an Old. This picture clearly shows the similarities between a New (Goodwill) and the RFB.

Attachments

• 534339A5-1677-47B7-A641-009180FCFF5E.jpeg
    534339A5-1677-47B7-A641-009180FCFF5E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
For me the RFB is a much better shaver than the Old Type, but not everyone agrees. There are a lot harder to come by, being produced in smaller numbers, so they command a higher price. You can get an Old Type for $10-20 but an RFB NEW in good condition will likely command at least $60 or more.

Good luck. I have one, but it is not for sale.

Top Bottom