What's new

Gillette Platinum (Dark Blue) PPI, Old vs. New

G plat old v new.jpg

Next comparison. Old stock double wrapped Gillette Platinum on the left. Bought in 2010 from Malta (Back then I bought 300 and it was almost half of my month's earnings at the time). On the right a pack manufactured 12/2022. Both are manufactured in Russia. The right is laser etched and doesn't have ©2017 on it. As always, same razor (Futur @5), brush, cream and afershave were used. There is no difference between these blades.

P.S. In the recent month I carefully looked at the PPI blades available here and bought single packs of many PPI models. 4-5 brands have 12/2022 on them. Could it be this will be the last month that we'll ever see on PPI blades?

Not sure what P.P.I. refers to, but I've wondered about the the new vs. old Platinums [here]. You were much more scientific in your evaluation. Thank you!

Not sure what P.P.I. refers to, but I've wondered about the the new vs. old Platinums [here]. You were much more scientific in your evaluation. Thank you!
Over time, I identified my favorites (Gillette Platinum, Silver Blues, Astra SP, and 7o'clock sharp edge) and want to buy a new supply of them. The problem is, when I reordered a new batch of the Gillette Platinums, they were nothing like the ones I had purchased years ago. They ripped up my face something fierce even though I was using the same razor (EJ DE89) and same cream (Proraso green). I tried blades from different tucks and had the same problem. I figured something changed with "the formula" or with the quality control.

You are talking about the light blue Platinums. They were started 4-5 years ago and are a different model. Sharper than the dark blue Platinums. That is why they ripped your face.

I have an important detail to add that I missed previously. The newer pack doesn't say a year (like ©2017), but the 100 card of the newer blades has ©2004 on the back. That is when they moved the dark blue Platinum production to PPI. ;)

Top Bottom