What's new

Gillette Old!!!

The past week has been very busy with me trying different razors. First the Rockwell 6S pass around arrived. I then received two Pakistani razors someone sent to me to try out, a vintage Merkur non adjustable Progress thick cap (I didn't know they has a thick and thin cap), and a Gillette Old PIF from @imatabor. So for most of the past week, I was trying out different razors not belonging to me and not familiar with. With all my razor obligations done, I got to test shave the two that did belong to me. Last night was the non adjustable Progress, and tonight I FINALLY got around to my new old Old. I am just sorry I missed the New vs Old smack down, but can now weigh in on comparing the two.

First of all, since getting my two old News, I considered the New to be the best OC razor I have tried. It is comfortable, efficient, well built, and a practically brainless shave. It feels VERY mild, but can give me a DFS in two passes.

Tonight I got to compare the New with the Old. I immediately noticed more blade feel than the New, but not so much to be uncomfortable. I adjusted the angle slightly and it immediately became a very smooth shaver. I have to point out that I used the same Nacet blade that I used for testing out the Rockwell and the two Pakistani razors and so the blade was about two shaves short of getting tossed, which could account for the blade feel (plus the fact that my face was subjected to different experiences all week and may not be in the best condition). Maybe the results would be different with a new blade and a healed face. I did end up with a two pass DFS and so shave wise, it is a tie. I got to declare the New the winner by just a very small margin because of the blade feel of the Old and the fat handle of the New.

Oh, and John, thank you for not giving in to me when I tried to get you to substitute your $1.50 Toggle. This old Old is great!

dsc01589-jpg.793692

Glad you liked it, you would have been soooo unhappy with the Toggle!
I'll be interested what your thoughts are with a new blade.

The past week has been very busy with me trying different razors. First the Rockwell 6S pass around arrived. I then received two Pakistani razors someone sent to me to try out, a vintage Merkur non adjustable Progress thick cap (I didn't know they has a thick and thin cap), and a Gillette Old PIF from @imatabor. So for most of the past week, I was trying out different razors not belonging to me and not familiar with. With all my razor obligations done, I got to test shave the two that did belong to me. Last night was the non adjustable Progress, and tonight I FINALLY got around to my new old Old. I am just sorry I missed the New vs Old smack down, but can now weigh in on comparing the two.

First of all, since getting my two old News, I considered the New to be the best OC razor I have tried. It is comfortable, efficient, well built, and a practically brainless shave. It feels VERY mild, but can give me a DFS in two passes.

Tonight I got to compare the New with the Old. I immediately noticed more blade feel than the New, but not so much to be uncomfortable. I adjusted the angle slightly and it immediately became a very smooth shaver. I have to point out that I used the same Nacet blade that I used for testing out the Rockwell and the two Pakistani razors and so the blade was about two shaves short of getting tossed, which could account for the blade feel (plus the fact that my face was subjected to different experiences all week and may not be in the best condition). Maybe the results would be different with a new blade and a healed face. I did end up with a two pass DFS and so shave wise, it is a tie. I got to declare the New the winner by just a very small margin because of the blade feel of the Old and the fat handle of the New.

Oh, and John, thank you for not giving in to me when I tried to get you to substitute your $1.50 Toggle. This old Old is great!

dsc01589-jpg.793692

Best double edge razor ever made! :thumbup: The pre-war Tech is #2! :thumbsup:

Congrats! I love the OLD Type, there is always at least one in my medicine cabinet ready to go. My favorite is the Thin Cap Single Ring, but any OLD will do. :thumbup1:

So you're saying that what's Old is New again? :001_cool:

View attachment 796019
NO, NO, NO! What I'm saying is that my Old is old but new to me, which is different from my New which I had for a while and so it is old to me but also old since they haven't made it in a while. This is different from my RR Old, which is old to me but new because he just recently came out with it. It is so confusing. Gillette should have just named the razor according to the patent year like the Gem razors that were manufactured a couple of years before the patent year and a couple of years after.

NO, NO, NO! What I'm saying is that my Old is old but new to me, which is different from my New which I had for a while and so it is old to me but also old since they haven't made it in a while. This is different from my RR Old, which is old to me but new because he just recently came out with it. It is so confusing. Gillette should have just named the razor according to the patent year like the Gem razors that were manufactured a couple of years before the patent year and a couple of years after.

And wasn't the New Improved after the Old, but before the New?

:a17:

And wasn't the New Improved after the Old, but before the New?

:a17:

Oh come on. :001_rolle First there was just the "Gillette razor", then they changed it a little and called it the "New Improved", then they had to change the design completely because the old patent was running out and called it the "New". makes perfect sense to me. :001_tt2: :a30: :smartass:

Oh come on. :001_rolle First there was just the "Gillette razor", then they changed it a little and called it the "New Improved", then they had to change the design completely because the old patent was running out and called it the "New". makes perfect sense to me. :001_tt2: :a30: :smartass:

Makes sense to you!

I know logic need not apply when it comes to Gillette, but it does make it a tad harder for a beginner like me to keep straight

It's possible to get a "new, old stock" (NOS) Super Speed that is neither the New nor the Old, nor is it the New Improved in spite of being newer and (for some at least) an improvement, nor does it have a stock.

Some of the razors whether they be old or new, were not straight. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Bit of a different slant on it, you might say.

Top Bottom