What's new

Gillette Old!!!

Oh come on. :001_rolle First there was just the "Gillette razor", then they changed it a little and called it the "New Improved", then they had to change the design completely because the old patent was running out and called it the "New". makes perfect sense to me. :001_tt2: :a30: :smartass:
All true, but I think the razor blades also were being changed circa 1930. The old 3 hole blades for the Old Type and the New Improved would NOT work in the NEW of the 1930's.

Oh come on. :001_rolle First there was just the "Gillette razor", then they changed it a little and called it the "New Improved", then they had to change the design completely because the old (Insert the word "blade" here.) patent was running out and called it the "New". makes perfect sense to me. :001_tt2: :a30: :smartass:

All true, but I think the razor blades also were being changed circa 1930. The old 3 hole blades for the Old Type and the New Improved would NOT work in the NEW of the 1930's.

Read the added red part.

At first there was just the Gillette razor, now called....

(1) The OLD Type razor

They made what was considered improvements to that design, so they naturally called it....

(2) The New Improved razor

Then the patent situation and the company upheavals brought about a completely new razor, which they rightfully called....

(3) The New razor

Okay, just to bring things back to the topic (or at least closer), I just received my Gillette Single Ring in today's mail. First shave was tonight and I got to say that I will never mistake the Single Ring for a Senator. This guy has significant blade feel, and even after changing the angle to make it a smoother shave, it still felt more like a Fatip than a New.

I went WTG and ATG and was surprised that this ended up as a straight two pass shave without touch up. The Fatip (and R41) never did that, even with a new blade. So now I have a Single Ring, Old Type, and New and I still wonder why Gillette came out with all those other models after these.

Okay, just to bring things back to the topic (or at least closer), I just received my Gillette Single Ring in today's mail. First shave was tonight and I got to say that I will never mistake the Single Ring for a Senator. This guy has significant blade feel, and even after changing the angle to make it a smoother shave, it still felt more like a Fatip than a New.

I went WTG and ATG and was surprised that this ended up as a straight two pass shave without touch up. The Fatip (and R41) never did that, even with a new blade. So now I have a Single Ring, Old Type, and New and I still wonder why Gillette came out with all those other models after these.

I agree, their first razors were perfect! They just made new models to sell more razors, kinda like Detroit!

I agree, the Old Type and NEW were fantastic razors. I know adjustables have their fans, me included, but for quality of shave I just don't see a slim or fat boy touching the OT or NEW.

Top Bottom