What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

Tempted to buy one I see one for 15$ without the blades gently used with case and box I've never used a muhle r89 before tho I own a merkur 38c hd long kinda wanted something shorter handle

Snagged an unused Heritage from a popular auction site. About $3 more than if I got it from Amazon (due to shipping costs) but as Amazon has it listed as UNAVAILABLE who knows when or if that would be.

Also am getting the King C Gillette from the wife on Monday for my anniversary so my modern Gillette DE collection is complete.

Know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but I love Gillette's - vintage, blades, and now new DE razors.

I need to start using my super speed again.........since I got my new Heritage, I haven't touched my super speed since Christmas and that's no lie.

That Heritage just performs, it's a great daily driver.

Amazon is saying the Heritage will be in stock on July 23rd, and you can order it now.
Sure because I just bought the Walgreens one this week.

Ive read both that the heads are the same, and the heads are different. What is the definitive answer? I know the Walgreens one is a Muhle R89. Is the only difference from the heritage the engraving? If so, it would be nice if you could just buy the box and the handle, but I know that wont happen.

I bet the new heritage one will have a subtle difference or marking somewhere, so the original will be considered a collectors item.

thanks

Last edited:
Ive read both that the heads are the same, and the heads are different. What is the definitive answer? I know the Walgreens one is a Muhle R89. Is the only difference from the heritage the engraving? If so, it would be nice if you could just buy the box and the handle, but I know that wont happen.
The base plates and handles are different; the KCG2 looks like it has a plate more like the Merkur but not the same. Gillette are keeping tight lipped about the latest offering and how it was sourced.
Picture shows Edwin Jagger {KCG1 similar}, Merkur 34 and KCG2
Double-edge-KCG.jpeg

The base plates and handles are different; the KCG2 looks like it has a plate more like the Merkur but not the same. Gillette are keeping tight lipped about the latest offering and how it was sourced.
Picture shows Edwin Jagger {KCG1 similar}, Merkur 34 and KCG2
View attachment 1113338
Thanks. So KCG1 = Amazon and KCG2 = Walgreens?
I still havent tried it but with my luck I am sure the KCG1 is considered better even without the better handle. My only other DE is a Merkur 33c so I wanted to try something different but I guess it is not that different. Anyway, with the $10 off coupon and points I redeemed at Walgreens I paid about $16, so not bad price wise.

I havent checked the exchange rates in ages but if I remember correctly 20 quid was a lot more than 20USD, right?
About $26 so around the Walgreens price. At one time they were offering 20% discount but that has been removed. They are certainly looking to get more sales on the latest offering. The latest packaging is geared for supermarket shelves so give it a couple of months and stores will be selling them too.

About $26 so around the Walgreens price. At one time they were offering 20% discount but that has been removed. They are certainly looking to get more sales on the latest offering. The latest packaging is geared for supermarket shelves so give it a couple of months and stores will be selling them too.
In the US the $10 off Walgreens digital coupon is good until August 1 if I remember correctly. They also had a deal that if you buy $20 worth of King C. Gillette products you get points that are the equivalent of $10. But they got cute and priced the DE at $29.99 so with the coupon you miss it by 1 cent. They also have a coupon for the blades at $2 off for a pack of ten which would be $4 making it 40 cents a blade which I thought was overpriced so I didnt add it in. Pay another $4 to get $10 off the next purchase on anything, but I would be paying roughly $3 more for the blades than for example Astra SP at 10 cents per blade. And I didnt feel like trying the other King C. Gillette products like the oils or gels and certainly not their new 5 blader.

Sure because I just bought the Walgreens one this week.

I bet the new heritage one will have a subtle difference or marking somewhere, so the original will be considered a collectors item.

thanks

Of course. I'm the same, picked up the Walgreens a few days before the Amazon notice. I'd prefer the Heritage, I think, but we'll see in another 5 weeks.

Of course. I'm the same, picked up the Walgreens a few days before the Amazon notice. I'd prefer the Heritage, I think, but we'll see in another 5 weeks.
Welcome to the club!

I am still confused. I thought the concensus on this forum was that the King C. Gillette Walgreens version had the exact same head as a Muhle R89, baseplate included, except for the engraving. Different handle that is made in China.

So is the Heritage head an exact post 2017 brass Muhle R89 head, or is the King C. Gillette Walgreens the one?

Someone posted if you want a review of the Walgreens one just read up on the Muhle R89. So I did and since people liked it I bought the Walgreens one.

I love this forum but whether I search for an answer or ask a question directly I get several answers that contradict each other. I know opinions are different and ymmv but I am talking about facts.
No disrespect intended towards anyone.

Last edited:
I am still confused. I thought the concensus on this forum was that the King C. Gillette Walgreens version had the exact same head as a Muhle R89, baseplate included, except for the engraving. Different handle that is made in China.

So is the Heritage head an exact post 2017 brass Muhle R89 head, or is the King C. Gillette Walgreens the one?
THe picture in post #267 is clear for you to see and as you have the KCG2 from Walgreens you can verify that razor. Not sure if that handle is brass or stainless steel.
Neither KCG1 or KCG2 have brass heads. The only brass in the heads is the screwed post to the cap which Muhle changed from zinc alloy to brass in circa 2017. The difference in caps is the KCG2 has etching on the cap.
KCG1 from Amazon, same as the EJ DE89 but with a brass thread post, has a stainless steel handle which is a copy of the common bar handle Gillette used in their New razors. That razor with the presentation case was marketed by Gillette as heritage inspired; they never marketed it as "the heritage razor", others have used that name.
I hope you are not still confused.

Last edited:
Sorry it is just me and I have issues focusing. I see the terms muhle r89, Kcg, Kcg1, kcg2, heritage, walgreens, amazon, edwin jagger used to refer to these razors in all different threads and posts and even Merkurs are thrown into the mix. So I get confused. I bought the razor and when I finally try it as long as I like it, it doesnt really matter anymore if it is the same as another model or who actually manufactured it.

So if I have this straight, the Amazon and Walgreens both have the same head, but different handles. The Walgreens cap is etched with the KCG logo, the Amazon cap is not etched but comes with a storage case.

Well, I have the Walgreens and I'll be getting the Amazon version in a month. Works for me, a home version (Walgreens) and a travel version with storage case (Amazon).

Of further note, Amazon is now showing its version is unavailable, not known when or if it will be back in stock.

I’m a bit late to this party but I recently bought one from Amazon in the US although I’m in Australia. I have an extensive collection of modern DE razors of various brands and a heaps of vintage Gillette’s.

I struggled to get my face smooth with the Gillette Heritage after three passes and I had to touch up spots everywhere. I was using a Feather too. It felt like there was so little blade exposure that I had to apply too much pressure. I like a Merkur 34c if we want to compare it to a modern Zamak razor but I’d call a Merkur a 3 or 4 out of 10 in terms of aggression but this was like a 1 in imo. Barely useable and I have come to prefer slightly milder razors because I get a bit of skin irritation but this was too mild.

So all in all a bit disappointing- it’s nicely presented and the handle is like the ones on my Gillette New open combs. i also bought the cheaper new Gillette supermarket DE with the heavier handle ie. with the spiral grip and I’m pretty sure it was much better. I’ll have to try the cheaper one again just to confirm my suspicions.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@MrAstro i think if someone is a fan of the DE89/R89 razor, this makes a nice addition. It’s a nice variation of the DE89 format. However, if that’s not your thing, then I can see it not working out.

Top Bottom