What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

Anything close to the 34c in terms of something may last for years I do have superspeed flare tips and a red tip and a 38c hd long hardly reach for

so I've got over 100 shaves now under my belt with my new Gillete Heritage, and honestly this will be replacing my super speed, at least for the time being, it's such a good daily driver, I couldn't imagine switching back.

If your on the fence, get it, you'll love it I'm sure and you'll be happy you did. It's a banging deal!

Just ordered my Heritage today. I've been away from B&B so long that this slipped under my radar so I'm just now noticing it. All the reviews of the Heritage indicate the case and razor are very well made with attention to detail (such as the retro-themed instruction card), faux leather case and sturdy liner. I love the classic diamond Gillette logo on the case too. The case reminds me of their 1920's Milord cases. I am very excited to get my Heritage in the mail as soon as they are back in stock at Amazon (March 14, they tell me). A lot of folks are complaining but I'm excited about this product and think it's a sign of better things to come. After all, if P&G is thinking about getting back into the DE game they have to start someplace!

On first hearing about it, I expected the Gillette Heritage to be a cheap, half-assed attempt to make money off the resurgent DE crowd. And it does seem that way on the surface, as a lot of hard-core Gillette fans are whining about the non-Gilletty-ness of the razor itself. But think about it -- for a company that doesn't even make DE razors anymore and simply doesn't have the tooling to make DE razors anymore (at least not all metal ones), they went to a lot of effort to produce a quality razor set! They had to get the razor head from somewhere and Muhle is a highly respected company that also has the production facilities to meet demand. I don't fault them for that choice, at least initially. Where they got the handles from is a mystery to me but they sure appear to be well made.

I am under no illusion to think that P&G/Gillette cares about shaving nostalgia -- they simply want to re-capture lost market share. This first offering seems to be P&G dipping their toes into the water to see how well Gillette branded DE products will sell in this niche market. I hope this one sells well as it will only lead to more diversity in the DE market. Heck, P&G may eventually ask themselves "who better to market DE razors than the company that started it all"! I see no conflict at all with P&G selling both carts and DE razors. But the DE market is not, nor will it ever will be, large enough to justify the cost of them building new fabrication facilities so they will have no choice to outsource the parts, which is fine by me as long as they use quality parts, and that certainly appears to be what they've done with the Heritage. I keep wondering, though, where they sourced the US-made handles from!

I bet this isn't the last "throw-back" product we see from P&G/Gillette. One thing is certain, you can bet that P&G employees are reading this forum. I, for one, appreciate their efforts and look forward to more!
Very well stated sir.

Another release. Pics obtained via Walgreens. Not the R89 head this time, but also German design and is stamped on top. Handle is made in China. Blades are made in Russia at the P&G plant there.

Heritage was the online testing of the waters and now this has progressed to brick and mortar stores via Walgreens in 6 months. Not surprised they have started with brick and mortar stores since they can’t keep the Heritage in stock too long on Amazon as it has sold out many times. They are still testing the waters here but time will tell if they decide to produce one in the US exclusively. I think we will see that within 2 years based on their recent success

Both new razor release and blades have sold out online. Might be available at some stores.

Cheers!

Attachments

• A65EAF62-02CB-4882-BB7E-384713065F17.jpeg
    A65EAF62-02CB-4882-BB7E-384713065F17.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 43
  • A965A531-5A5A-45A8-ABE5-D3288782DB54.jpeg
    A965A531-5A5A-45A8-ABE5-D3288782DB54.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 48
  • 7F895173-557F-43FC-AACB-7069A4940A6C.jpeg
    7F895173-557F-43FC-AACB-7069A4940A6C.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 6A2CCE6B-641F-452B-9CD6-5492B2E75001.jpeg
    6A2CCE6B-641F-452B-9CD6-5492B2E75001.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 058AFA29-AEC3-4741-A549-34FA61F6E9E9.jpeg
    058AFA29-AEC3-4741-A549-34FA61F6E9E9.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
I want to add that the head design appears to Merkur. Given recent troubles at Merkur maybe this is a sign of a P&G buyout. Just speculation but it looks like a Merkur design this time to me.

The second picture shows text describing the razor as "Designed for edging with closed comb", which cannot be something Gillette would put out I don't think if they had any pride in that name. Has the hallmark of a Chinese import in collaboration with Walgreens and P&G agreeing use of trademark and selling a few blades. The head is a Chinese casting and I doubt Merkur would want to be associated with that razor. At $30 retail price who will take one for the forum! :302: :cuppa:

Last edited:
Here is the rear of the packaging. It is definitely put out by Gillette.

Attachments

• 998F0327-0246-4AE1-B428-5AE5E0AFB624.jpeg
    998F0327-0246-4AE1-B428-5AE5E0AFB624.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 37
Here is the rear of the packaging. It is definitely put out by Gillette.
I did check that on the Walgreens site and yes it is a P&G collaboration. When they say the handle is made in China that is cartridge user speak for the handle and head {the bit which holds the blade}, so the razor is made in China.
The key words I used were "if they had any pride in that name", the answer is no. Gilette is just a trademark to make money with cartridges and canned foams as their core business in shaving. Of course they also make money out of the PPI venture but no where near the cartridge business. King Gillette must be turning in his grave. This really should be under a new thread as it is nothing to do with a "Heritage inspired" razor.

R

romsitsa

I suspect “handle made in China” means “razor made in China”.
The head is pretty similar to Chinese offerings, but it’s slightly different from Merkur.
And the packaging doesn’t state where the head was made, so it’s either made in the US (highly unlikely) or it’s part of the “handle”.

Adam

I think it’s cool that there is a logo on the head of the razor. Mine obviously does not have that. But blades being sold at Walgreens is cool as there is one by me so now I know worst case scenario I can pick some up.

This razor isn’t made under license to be distributed by another company other than P&G. There are plenty examples of that but not in this case. The razor is made elsewhere, China some parts or all, those parts were shipped to Cincinnati, Ohio and are being distributed directly by Gillette under their name. The head design is definitely German, whether or not it was produced there is secondary. What remains to be seen is whether this is just an exclusive to Walgreens or is Walgreens just the first brick and mortar store to offer this razor for sale.

As for the Heritage, German made head, US made handle and box made in China, it will be back in stock on Amazon at the end of May for those interested. Those parts are also sent to Cincinnati, Ohio from elsewhere and distributed directly by Gillette.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I suspect “handle made in China” means “razor made in China”.
The head is pretty similar to Chinese offerings, but it’s slightly different from Merkur.
And the packaging doesn’t state where the head was made, so it’s either made in the US (highly unlikely) or it’s part of the “handle”.

Adam

At a quick glance, this looks like the generic zamak head that companies like Razorock and Maggards were using prior to getting license to use the DE89 design for their house razors. The Maggards V2 and the Razorock Mission come to mind. I recall back then that the change for these vendors to go with the DE89 design head was a pretty big improvement in shave performance, and i gave away all my older versions of those house razors with the pre-DE89 designs. The head design is also reminiscent of the more aggressive house-brand razors like the Maggards V3a and the RR Mentor. But I dont think Gillette will use a more aggressive head for a razor aimed at the Target and Walgreens crowd. I really like the Heritage. It is a quality razor, even if you dont care for the Muhle design head. But I do not have high hopes for this one. Oh well. As mentioned above, its nice to see Gillette making an effort at least.

Once people get these in hand, I think they will find the quality to be very good. I think P&G/Gillette realized they could charge the same price as the Heritage minus the presentation box and save some extra money. P&G isn’t about nostalgia but if nostalgia sells, they will continue to distribute these razors.

I have said many times before that this is just product testing. If the razors continue to sell out, you will see a US made razor produced at their soon to be built facilities in Cincinnati. I’m sure it will be a Tech. Anything more complicated like an adjustable is a ways off if ever at all. If they thought about something as complicated in manufacturing as an adjustable, they would start off doing the same exact thing, distribute an existing design with razors coming from elsewhere and decide later if it is worth manufacturing in the US.

$30 and it doesn't come with a case? Interesting. Seems like they are going backwards. Still, it is nice to see the razor is branded.

Once people get these in hand, I think they will find the quality to be very good. I think P&G/Gillette realized they could charge the same price as the Heritage minus the presentation box and save some extra money. P&G isn’t about nostalgia but if nostalgia sells, they will continue to distribute these razors.

I have said many times before that this is just product testing. If the razors continue to sell out, you will see a US made razor produced at their soon to be built facilities in Cincinnati. I’m sure it will be a Tech. Anything more complicated like an adjustable is a ways off if ever at all. If they thought about something as complicated in manufacturing as an adjustable, they would start off doing the same exact thing, distribute an existing design with razors coming from elsewhere and decide later if it is worth manufacturing in the US.

Tony, I don't understand. Why would they manufacture them over here when it's so much cheaper overseas?

One thing I find interesting, if you look at their comments on the packaging, you see they're not marketing this razor as an alternative shaving tool for your entire face, but instead as an edging tool for sideburns and beards.

It's hard to decipher their strategy. It looks like they prefer not to lose their cartridge business. But I still think they're anticipating a possible cultural shift back to wet-shaving that would extend way past us few hobbyists, and they want to be ready for it.

$30 and it doesn't come with a case? Interesting. Seems like they are going backwards. Still, it is nice to see the razor is branded.

I posted this on another thread but I was wrong about it being sold out, went to Walgreens today and the advert box advised it was coming.

Not sure about a presentation box yet, but don’t think so, think they would have showed the box on the Walgreen site. Who knows? Maybe something else or there is a box they haven’t shown yet.

They are using the “Edging” terminology thing on all their new razor packaging for this campaign, including the carts. Trying to bring in guys with beards to convince them to “Edge” their beards. Not kidding..See pics below.

One thing of note is the lack of disposables included. I’ve said before that one way for Gillette to get rid of the plastic razors in landfills bad press and bring back bearded folk with lower blade pricing is to convert the plastic disposables over to DE blade sales.

Probably reaching but I have a feeling this could be their plan because blade sales are their thing. They already know persons currently using DE are using their vintage razors, vintage/other and the big market of modern razors out there. Not a whole lot of effort to bring in the disposable crowd.

When I used carts, I didn’t shop online for carts by other brands, I bought what was in front of me at the store. By doing basic math, even if they sold as many as 20 blades (Probably will be 10) for the price of a bag of disposables, they’d still make out like bandits when all is said and done.

People without DE razors would make that $30 investment in the razor which already comes with blades if they know they can save money down the road. That is why I bought my first DE, my EJ about a decade ago. Most of the cart users would probably remain cart users anyhow because that is what they’re used to.

Attachments

• E3068560-1B53-4422-BF6A-7298E22480D1.jpeg
    E3068560-1B53-4422-BF6A-7298E22480D1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • ECFC146B-6341-441A-8A7E-90CDCE3186B4.jpeg
    ECFC146B-6341-441A-8A7E-90CDCE3186B4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
One thing I find interesting, if you look at their comments on the packaging, you see they're not marketing this razor as an alternative shaving tool for your entire face, but instead as an edging tool for sideburns and beards.

It's hard to decipher their strategy. It looks like they prefer not to lose their cartridge business. But I still think they're anticipating a possible cultural shift back to wet-shaving that would extend way past us few hobbyists, and they want to be ready for it.

It’s on the cart packaging too for the campaign as well.

Tony, I don't understand. Why would they manufacture them over here when it's so much cheaper overseas?

If they decide to do that down the line, it would be a very simple design like a Tech most likely. P&G purchased Bevel recently plus Merkur is in trouble and will cease to exist without a major investor or buy out. I also have a feeling that quite soon, the cost of manufacturing overseas in China will be increasing significantly.

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread BTW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom