What's new

Gillette Guard longevity test

Eleventh shave with 2017 model cart.
Except for the initial difference, I can't find any other deviation from what I have come to expect from the Guard.
If the new carts come to customers already partly "broken in" then I would consider that to be an added advantage, even if they lose some of their life in the process.

Last edited:
Fourteenth shave with 2017 cart.
No problems.
Überlather. Omega boar.
XTG with Feather. Blade needs a change.
Triple blade cart for touch up.

15th single pass WTG shave with 2017 model Gillette Guard cart.
XTG with triple blade cart. No DE as I was in a hurry.

23rd single pass WTG shave.
Did not shave yesterday, but felt no difference in today's shave as compared to the last shave.
Guard cuts through longer stubble without noticing any difference.

30th single pass WTG shave.
No DE, as I bought 4 non pivoting twin blade razors yesterday. Trying them out.
Todays XTG was with a Schick twin.

Last edited:
48th shave with the same cartridge.
Missed out a day last week.
I do not propose to take this cart up to 130 shaves like I did in 2013 when I first tried this cart.
I wonder if the Excalibur thread applies to carts?
I might stop at 90 or even 60 shaves.

Undecided.

Used ordinary bath soap to shave with today.
This is to test the Guard's performance with inadequate lather.
So I brushed up a lather with Godrej Cinthol bath soap (classic red pack) as a trial. Godrej are also the makers of the excellent Godrej shaving creams & shaving soap round.
Today was the 54th shave with the same Gillette Guard cartridge.
Even so, the shave was problem free, but it was definitely rougher. There was very little tugging, but the hair was obviously not softened enough & there was audible & sensory feedback of the hair being cut.
Result was an SAS , but one must keep in mind that this cart is on its 54th outing, & possibly this is not the time to test it for adverse conditions.
No nicks or cuts.
Alcohol aftershave showed up no trouble spots.
Interestingly enough, my face also did not have that just shaved feel.
Possibly since shave creams are intended
to swell & degrade hair, they also have a similar effect on skin, contributing to that just shaved feel.

Last edited:
64th shave.
Missed a day.
Cart is showing its age with a little tugging if used with an average cream.
With a great cream like the Biotique, there is no tugging.
No DE today.
Used an M3.
Alcohol stung under my nose, but this could have been due to the new M3 cart I broke out today for 2nd pass.
The M3 carts were extremely reasonable at Amazon & they look genuine.

Last edited:
Just found this thread, recently became interested in the guard carts. I typically use de but am not opposed to having a better travel/quick shave alternative then the orange bics (can't ever get anything better then sas with them) so I'm considering trying out the guard.

Just found this thread, recently became interested in the guard carts. I typically use de but am not opposed to having a better travel/quick shave alternative then the orange bics (can't ever get anything better then sas with them) so I'm considering trying out the guard.
Try them out & see if they suit you.
The new Gillette Treo that has just been launched in the US uses the cartridges from the Guard, so cart availability shouldn't be a problem.

70th WTG single pass shave with 2017 model cart.
XTG with Tri- Flexx.
Decent, between CCS & SAS.
I will be stopping the test here, as there does not seem to be much point in going further, & I want to test some new DE blades I've picked up.

Conclusions :-

The 2017 Guard cart is not much different from the 2013 cart, although it did seem different in the beginning.
Possibly, the perceived difference is at least partly because I have a lighter hand due to DE shaving during the last few years.
In 2013, when I first tried the Guard, my last DE shave was over a decade earlier, as I had stopped DE shaving around 1999.

Last edited:
70th WTG single pass shave with 2017 model cart.
XTG with Tri- Flexx.
Decent, between CCS & SAS.
I will be stopping the test here, as there does not seem to be much point in going further, & I want to test some new DE blades I've picked up.

Conclusions :-

The 2017 Guard cart is not much different from the 2013 cart, although it did seem different in the beginning.
Possibly, the perceived difference is at least partly because I have a lighter hand due to DE shaving during the last few years.
In 2013, when I first tried the Guard, my last DE shave was over a decade earlier, as I had stopped DE shaving around 1999.

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing your results :thumbup:

Guard is in, my usual shower shave coming up here pretty soon. Ive got band practice tonight so I may not have a chance to report back until tomorrow but I wanted to quickly say: after fiddling around with the handle and carts for a few mins I already think I'm going to like it and I absolutely can see why these are loved for head shaving. Seems to be the perfect middle ground between single blade of a de and the ease of use of a cart.

Top Bottom