What's new

Gillette Guard longevity test

Not quite.
As previously stated in post #131, I'm doing a WTG pass with ATG on the cheek-sideburn area. Call it 1½ passes.

Oh, ok, I missed it. Very similar to mine except I do the full ATG as my 2nd pass and my 3rd (1/2) pass is where I only hit those "trouble spots" that have a different atg pattern, like my jaw line.

35th shave with Jan 2018 cart today.
Progressing as expected.
Was running late, so hand lathered for 12 seconds.
Touch up with Sensor Excel.

Sent from my #!@☆¤¿[emoji33][emoji205][emoji816] phone using Tapatalk

44th shave with the cart today.
There was some mild tugging yesterday & today.
I'd say the cart has reached the end of its life.
So i'm ending the test of the 2018 Guard cart here.

Conclusion - the 2018 cart has about the same life as the 2017 cart, but much less than the 2013 cart.

Conclusion - the 2018 cart has about the same life as the 2017 cart, but much less than the 2013 cart.

Very interesting. I do agree that the newer carts feel a little different at first then the older ones but seeing as I use them for a full multiple pass shave on my iron whiskers I've never dared more then 5 shaves tops. Lately I've been stopping at 3, occasionally pulling a 4th if I want to do a quick wtg only shave.

Very interesting. I do agree that the newer carts feel a little different at first then the older ones but seeing as I use them for a full multiple pass shave on my iron whiskers I've never dared more then 5 shaves tops. Lately I've been stopping at 3, occasionally pulling a 4th if I want to do a quick wtg only shave.

How is the guard performing still going strong?

How is the guard performing still going strong?

It's been awhile now since I consistently used the guard, I'm using a Braun series 7 foil 90% of the time these days. I found myself pushing the guard to shave closer then intended and causing irritation. BBS is absolutely possible with the guard but if you chase it daily, or risk it with used blade, you will pay for it a touch. I still think it's a fantastic razor and recommend it often to people who have irritation issues and don't care about BBS, the guard will give CCS with your eyes closed and DFS with some buffing so that is good for most guys.

I won't hijack the thread but I do want to say that the braun 7 is an impressive, efficient, and comfortable piece of shaving technology and that is why I don't use the guard anymore.

1st shave with my guard

equal to what I can get with most of my desire razors!

One weird thing though. Alot more string with the alum than I expected.
Also with DE razor if I get any soreness it shows up straight away then calms down a few hours later. With this the opposite hapoened. Shave felt good but 6 hours later redness & soreness turned up......

1st shave with my guard

equal to what I can get with most of my desire razors!

One weird thing though. Alot more string with the alum than I expected.
Also with DE razor if I get any soreness it shows up straight away then calms down a few hours later. With this the opposite hapoened. Shave felt good but 6 hours later redness & soreness turned up......

That probably is 1 of 2 things: too much pressure, which is common with new guard users, or some people find a better shave with the guard after a full shave or two as the blade calms down. For Gillette stripping everything they could as a cost saving measure then certainly gave the guard a quality blade!

There certainly is a mild 'roughness' in the first shave. Cheap blades maybe? But after that, it's nothing but smooth and comfortable for the next few shaves. Even though it is a mild razor, it's also, maybe by the design, another razor which works best with as little pressure as you can get away with as it is very efficient.

Top Bottom