What's new

Gillette Good News Razor

I just ordered a 3 pack of the original ones without the lubricating strip (the point of which I never understood, since it follows the blades). I can't remember the last time I shaved with a disposable. Probably forgot a razor and picked up a disposable from a hotel clerk. But the Good News was basically a Trac II cartridge bonded into a cheap disposable handle, so their reputation is that of a pretty good shaver. I'm sure I shaved with one at some point, but I don't recall it.

Gillette came out with the Good News(!) in '76 after the Bic disposable made a big splash in Europe but before Bic landed in the U.S. The Good News was hugely successful for Gillette in terms of sales, but such a low margin product (which cannibalized more lucrative platform sales in the U.S.), that Gillette stopped marketing it much in the U.S. But it was always profitable in places like Latin America, where it was viewed as a premium razor and commanded a higher price.

Anyway, I'm feeling oddly nostalgic about this razor. If nothing else, it's a piece of shaving history. I'm curious to try it.

Any Good News fans out there? I know there are some Trac II guys.

I used them regularly as my primary shaver from about 1985-1990. I also used them as my travel razor for many years after that.

I definitely prefer the original (no lube strip and a fixed head) over any of the "improvements."

I'm sure I used them many moons ago when I started shaving. I don't remember liking them all that much, but then again I've never gotten along with most disposable razors.

I use them. Twelve razors for under ten dollars at the supermarket. Fifteen shavers per razor. They give excellent shaves.

Top Bottom