What's new

Gillette Fatboy

Sorry to say but you are confusing early production date codes with later date codes that had design changes. i.e. "crimped" on end caps.. The non-crimped style are not "rare" In 1962, Gillette changed the design of the bottom edge of the positioning bar/door actuator between the H-3 and H-4 manufacturing models. There do exist some H-4 models with the old style positioning bar/door actuator therefore the change was made in the fourth quarter of 1962. View attachment 1021093
Now what could be rarer, as I have not seen one in the wild or one pass my hands in many years is this Slim lets see who can tell the difference.... BTW this was manufactured in 1968 near the very end of Slim production.

Attachments

• Slim-Odd-02.jpg
    Slim-Odd-02.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 43
R

romsitsa

Hello, no worries, I’m not confusing anything. Didn’t call it rare, but rarer. Solid bar was only produced for roughly 18 months, compared to the six years of the crimped version, there are simply less of them.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Now what could be rarer, as I have not seen one in the wild or one pass my hands in many years is this Slim lets see who can tell the difference.... BTW this was manufactured in 1968 near the very end of Slim production.

BB adjuster plate. The toggle Slim must be rarer.

Adam

I've got more than my fair share of Slims and Super Adjustables, in addition to the Techs, Super Speeds and others, but I never had a Fatboy - just didn't want to pay the jacked-up price for a nice one. BUT when one did come along with a reasonable (artificially cheap) pricetag, I swooped in and robbed the seller. It's a G2 in nice enough condition, and when the vintage soap scum was removed it looks presentable. (photo is pre-cleaning)
G2 Fat Boy.jpg

But wanting is often better than having, and although it shaves OK, it's clunky and clumsy to use. My Slims and SuperSpeeds all provide the same excellent shaves, but with less effort. Put a 189 handle on a Slim head & it would be a real winner.

I purchased a brand new Fatboy from flyingrazors767 ebay store. This seller seems to have a huge inventory of brand new Fatboys. The shaves are very enjoyable, with no irritation and no weepers or cuts. I enjoy both my Rex Ambassador and the Fatboy, they feel very different but both shave really well.
I also won one of his auctions for a
Mint condition Fatboy it was a Sunday
Night, it had 6 biders &14 bids, I won
The auction and now he refuses to ship
The razor to me and he won't answer any
Correspondence. So now my money is
Tied up while the Bay straightens this out.

Reading this guy’s feedback, I don’t know why anyone would bid on one of his auctions.

Reading this guy’s feedback, I don’t know why anyone would bid on one of his auctions.
Yeah I know, you make a good point
But understand, I am a Gambler. And
These types of issues With Ebay& PayPal
Transactions are like high percentage
Win bets, very seldom do I have any
Serious problems with Ebay purchases
And they stand behind their Guarantee
I've been dealing with the Bay & the Pal
Since their existence and doing so with
Great Success, Too boot.

Hello, the blade gap is quite uneven on 6 (you last picture). You can send it out for a repair, or check yourself what could be croocked and straighten it out.
It could be the T-bar, the corner of the safety bar (sitting too low or high) or the whole base plate.

Adam
+1; I had similar problem with a red tip....bent. Haven't fixed, just don't use it. FatBoys are Gr8!

+1; I had similar problem with a red tip....bent. Haven't fixed, just don't use it. FatBoys are Gr8!
sent my razor out to north shore, quick turn around and great communication, awaiting its return right now will post pictures when its back

Hello, no worries, I’m not confusing anything. Didn’t call it rare, but rarer. Solid bar was only produced for roughly 18 months, compared to the six years of the crimped version, there are simply less of them.

Adam
Still not, "rarer" less time in production would be a more fitting term. Gillette made thousands and I come across them just about daily.

Last edited:
received my razor back from north shore, they did an amazing job ! I ended up swapping blades out for a wilkinson sword, and i was really impressed with the shave after moving up to 3 on the adjustment, might go to a 4 but we'll see. Going to keep trying different blades and report back

received my razor back from north shore, they did an amazing job ! I ended up swapping blades out for a wilkinson sword, and i was really impressed with the shave after moving up to 3 on the adjustment, might go to a 4 but we'll see. Going to keep trying different blades and report back
Great news! :thumbup:

Wish I read this earlier, I won a bid today for a nos Fatboy with case and all. Saw it after I had one that looked mint with no box shipped from a different store. Hope he ships.

Wish I read this earlier, I won a bid today for a nos Fatboy with case and all. Saw it after I had one that looked mint with no box shipped from a different store. Hope he ships.
I have received a full refund from Ebay.
I have never lost one PENNY doing business with Ebay or PayPal.

I have received a full refund from Ebay.
I have never lost one PENNY doing business with Ebay or PayPal.
I haven't either , bought a filson Mackinaw coat that was obviously altered and ruined , eBay took care of it quickly. My other Fatboy will be delivered Monday for me.to.try.

Can you send before and after pics of the razor rite service you had done. I'm looking to do this as well because the finish isn't bad. Just want to see how much of a presentation difference it was.

Just being honest here, but I've never been able to get a great shave from a Fatboy. I own several (mostly for collection sake) and tried lots of different settings, blades, angles, etc. Love the design and vintage cool factor, but all of my modern razors easily trump it.

Just being honest here, but I've never been able to get a great shave from a Fatboy. I own several (mostly for collection sake) and tried lots of different settings, blades, angles, etc. Love the design and vintage cool factor, but all of my modern razors easily trump it.
Fair enough. I was surprised that I got a good shave with mine because I didn't really care too much for the slim. That said, I'm not sure if it's something I'll keep or if it's one that will move on. Really want to try the Rockwell 6s because of all the love it gets but not sure I want to pay that kind of money. My big thing is a lot of blade exposure doesn't seem to work well for me and I have problems finding something with little exposure but efficient and smooth that doesn't cost a fortune and will last forever. The thing I like about the adjustable is that it should help me find what I'm looking for without spending on a bunch (more) razors.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree, a Fatboy was my first razor when I took up DE shaving, just because it was the 'hot' razor at the time. I still own it but the Slim is far better in my view. The Fatboy seems like a clumsy and unwieldy tool to me; I never use mine and am considering letting it go. I have owned a few adjustable razors but all my non adjustables, DE, SE, shavette, and straight, are far superior, for me anyway. I have many vintage razors now, from mild to much more aggressive, and I enjoy the challenge of trying to get a good shave with all of them. That is part of the hobby for me, learning to adjust my technique so I can use any razor, as opposed to adjusting the razor to match my technique. To me that makes me a more accomplished shaver and from my experience I believe it takes better technique to successfully use a mild razor than it does an aggressive one. Yet, these days, more aggressive razors are often seen, wrongly in my view, as an 'upgrade' or requiring 'advanced shaving skills'; I believe the opposite is true. I suppose it depends what you are looking for in a razor, and in the hobby as a whole. Good luck.

Top Bottom