What's new

Gillette Fatboy vs Slim

I've used my Slim since '61 and always get great shaves from it also have the Super Adjustable since the 70's, that is another great shaver and lately I inherited my fathers Fatboy I really like. Comparing the Slim and Fatboy, I like them both. The Fatboy has a thicker handle and different head trajectory than the Slim, causing a slight change in angle and technique when shaving. The Super Adjustable or Black Beauty has the same head as the Slim but longer handle. All three are great shavers.
I get my vintage razors in yard sales thrift shops and antique stores, rarely paying over $10 for a razor, usually $3-4.
Brother Tallships,

The sourcing and pricing of your razors is interesting. How many are in your collection? And do you have any unusual razors?

Brother Tallships,

The sourcing and pricing of your razors is interesting. How many are in your collection? And do you have any unusual razors?
Since joining B&B and other forums I've collected about 50 razors, B1 Auto Strop set in silver case, a Star DE, Gem/Star/ER SE 's. Too many to list. My favorite new DE that is out of production is the Weber PH w Classic handle,there are some SE and DE that I bought new over the years. I have my Grandfathers 1910 single ring my Dads razors Fatboy and Gem MMOC

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Since joining B&B and other forums I've collected about 50 razors, B1 Auto Strop set in silver case, a Star DE, Gem/Star/ER SE 's. Too many to list. My favorite new DE that is out of production is the Weber PH w Classic handle,there are some SE and DE that I bought new over the years. I have my Grandfathers 1910 single ring my Dads razors Fatboy and Gem MMOC
Interesting ... quite a rich family razor history. And your Slim must be one of the earliest, a 1961!

To the OP, I prefer my Fatboy, but only slightly over a Slim.

BTW you mentioned 2 razors that I love dearly. I too have the Star DE razor from circa 1946 to 1959. To me, it's an improved Gillette Tech, shave wise, and as to the quality of the engineering and build.

This week I'm shaving with a Gem Micromatic OC from the 1930's/1940's. I paid a premium price of $60 at an antique store, but it's mint and complete. It included the case, blade vault, the instructions, and the cardboard retail box from the factory. As you know the MMOC is built like a proverbial tank. It will last for centuries and it's an outstanding shaver on my tough "old man" whiskers.

My slim was given to me by my Father. Black Beauty I bought in 1977 for something like $5 used. The Fatboy I picked up about 20 years back for under $10.

I bought a Fatboy a week ago and found a Slim in Excellent condition. It should be arriving Friday.

So far I like my Fatboy alot although I still haven't found the best setting.

Just wondering how the Slim Compares to the Fatboy. Was I redundant in buying both!

You’re not being redundant. I bought a Fatboy (because it was the razor my late father shaved with) last December. I thought it would be the holy grail of razors for me. It was good, sometimes great, but almost always with some weepers or irritation. I just recently bought a Slim that matches my birth year and quarter. First shave yesterday with it was outstanding! BBS with absolutely no irritation. Effortless shave. I guess the Slim blade angle works better for me. The Fatboy and the Slim look a lot alike but they can shave differently.

You’re not being redundant. I bought a Fatboy (because it was the razor my late father shaved with) last December. I thought it would be the holy grail of razors for me. It was good, sometimes great, but almost always with some weepers or irritation. I just recently bought a Slim that matches my birth year and quarter. First shave yesterday with it was outstanding! BBS with absolutely no irritation. Effortless shave. I guess the Slim blade angle works better for me. The Fatboy and the Slim look a lot alike but they can shave differently.
Brother Ron,

If your Fat Boy gives you weepers, try dropping down one number on the adjustment dial.

In my experience the Slim is slightly milder than the Fat Boy (on the same setting). For me a setting on the Fat Boy on 5 and the setting on the Slim on 6 give the same shave and are perfect on my face.

BTW the Slim and the Super Adjustable give me the same shaves on a setting of 6.

All three razors are outstanding!

Brother Ron,

If your Fat Boy gives you weepers, try dropping down one number on the adjustment dial.

In my experience the Slim is slightly milder than the Fat Boy (on the same setting). For me a setting on the Fat Boy on 5 and the setting on the Slim on 6 give the same shave and are perfect on my face.

BTW the Slim and the Super Adjustable give me the same shaves on a setting of 6.

All three razors are outstanding!

Thanks! I’ll try it.

Top Bottom