What's new

Gillette Fatboy vs Slim

I bought a Fatboy a week ago and found a Slim in Excellent condition. It should be arriving Friday.

So far I like my Fatboy alot although I still haven't found the best setting.

Just wondering how the Slim Compares to the Fatboy. Was I redundant in buying both!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Slim is far superior in my view. It is delicate and manoeuvreable compared to the Fatboy which is a clumsy, overpriced, overrated, sledgehammer by comparison. Plus, the Slim is used by James Bond in Goldfinger which makes it far cooler 😁. I sold my Fatboy and very rarely use my Slim as adjustables are just not for me. Many people love them though and they are undoubtedly excellent razors; nothing wrong with owning both as they are different enough to offer variety. Enjoy!

I have both and like both. I use Feather blades in both razors with the razor set at 2. This means mild blade exposure with a very, very sharp blade. The combination works well for me. Try this you might like it. It also means you can join the LEMS crew. (League of Extremely Mild Shavers)

Of the two, the Slim works best for me. Its thinner profile and longer handle work well for me. I found a Fatboy in the wild and in good condition for a reasonable price. It went home with me. It is a nice, adjustable razor. It is heavier and getting it close under my nose is still doable. For my needs, both work well but the Slim is the better of the two.

YMMV

You should ask those questions before you buy.
Shaving is so subjective, I'm interested what others think but until I try it. I won't really know.
Look how many different opinions there are on the thread.

Worst case I can always resell one or both of them.

Shaving is so subjective, I'm interested what others think but until I try it. I won't really know.
Look how many different opinions there are on the thread.

Worst case I can always resell one or both of them.
Oh, and I feel like I'm shaving with a bit of history.

What I have noticed and you should try it too....when a blade just doesn't dial in right on the fatboy, try it out in the slim. I have noticed that some sharper blades are harsh feeling in the fatboy but in the slim are comfortable. It might have to do with the head geometry between the 2 of them, but worth the experiment. This also works vice versa too with some blades in the slim. For example....a Bolzano blade for me is horrible in a fatboy, but in slim its sharp and feels wonderful and lasts a long time for me, while a gillette yellow is harsh and causes weapers in my slim, but in my fatboy it feels great and shaves close. I have both and enjoy both....i tend to rotate monthly between them or depending on my blade choice. There is never a need to have just one...its fun to enjoy all of them.

Larry

I prefer the sledge hammer Fatboy. It just feels better in my hand. I like the short fat handle. I like the Super 89 as well. The Slim is a fine razor and I will use it from time to time but grab the Fatboy more. I typically use the Fatboy on Friday.

Its really personal preference, IMO. Ive owned Fatboys and Slims and both give a great shave, they just have a different weight and different feel in the hand.
Id personally take a Super Speed over either of them.

I think very highly of the Fat Boy and the Slim, and I would never consider parting with either razor. Both razors are outstanding.

However, I slightly prefer the Slim over the Fat Boy, and I slightly prefer the Super Adjustable (short handle) over the Slim. All differences are miniscule, and are more subjective than objective.

The Slim is more maneuverable (lighter handle, thinner head), imho.

Adam

+1! I prefer the Slim as a shaver! It is easier to use under my nose and it gives me better shaves.

Other guys prefer the FatBoy! So you did the right thing by buying both!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I do believe there are several comparative threads, some using the Slim and Fatboy on alternate days, some using them during the same shave but different sides, etc. I prefer a Slim, but they are both outstanding in my book.

I've used my Slim since '61 and always get great shaves from it also have the Super Adjustable since the 70's, that is another great shaver and lately I inherited my fathers Fatboy I really like. Comparing the Slim and Fatboy, I like them both. The Fatboy has a thicker handle and different head trajectory than the Slim, causing a slight change in angle and technique when shaving. The Super Adjustable or Black Beauty has the same head as the Slim but longer handle. All three are great shavers.
I get my vintage razors in yard sales thrift shops and antique stores, rarely paying over $10 for a razor, usually $3-4.

Top Bottom