What's new

Gillette Fat boy

I also have a Fatboy from my dad. Great razor. He didn’t buy it until I graduated from high school. I use it along with several other Gillettes that I’ve acquired.

Here’s a tip.

Leave it on the lower settings as suggested for at least a month.

Develop the muscle memory with it and then s l o w l y start opening her up. Maybe try a few different blades BUT only after you’re CONSISTENTLY getting good shaves with it.

Then send it off for rhodium plating.

You’ll never ever ever buy another razor again (well, you probably will but it won’t be as good!).

Welcome aboard! It's always great to hear a story like yours. My first and favorite DE was/is my grandfathers 59 fatboy. You will find there is a reason it is favored by many. As someone else said here, "great first razor. Great last razor."

I just used my Fatboy earlier today and got an extremely comfortable shave with a Gillette Yellow on its 3rd use.
What I appreciate about this razor is its weight and stubbiness. It’s like the Merkur HD of Gillette Adjustables!
I was fortunate enough to get mine for free.... from my late uncles estate. It’s a ‘59 still in mint condition. I doubt he ever used it.

In the early 60's my Dad used this razor. I have decided to start using a safety razor and today I used this razor. My impression was the razor was heavy and the short handle, but the shave was so much better than the plastic crap I have used. I will never get rid of it, but is this a razor for a newbie or should I look at something else?
Yessir! *me too*, I think the GAR represents an era of great American-made quality & ingenuity.
Combine w/ the new creme & soap technologies makes for great shaves.

In the early 60's my Dad used this razor. I have decided to start using a safety razor and today I used this razor. My impression was the razor was heavy and the short handle, but the shave was so much better than the plastic crap I have used. I will never get rid of it, but is this a razor for a newbie or should I look at something else?
I took possession of my Fatboy last week and I am also a newbie to DE shaving. I highly recommend it.

I took possession of my Fatboy last week and I am also a newbie to DE shaving. I highly recommend it.
I used to watch my dad shaving with a DE and up until I became interested in trying for myself, I wondered why he shaved so gently. The answer is because I have only been used to scraping and pressing plastic rubbish across my face. There is no need to press a DE; the weight does all the work for you. All you have to do is guide it with your hand. At first, I pressed too hard and got a few nicks. Since then, I have become ever more proficient and nicks are quite a rarity now. You live and learn and, at 49 years old, I still have a lot to learn.

Imagine being 15 in 1959 and receiving a FB for your birthday. You would figure it out. That's what we all did. We took what was available and figured it out.

Top Bottom