What's new

Gillette F-4 1-9 Bottom Dials Goes For $1530

Collectors - no matter what they collect - can drive the price of anything up. A relative of mine collected stamps and coins. His collection was insured for $10,000 slightly more than what he paid for them. When he passed away the collection was auctioned off and it brought in over $100,000. A buffalo nickel that he paid $10 for brought in just under $5,000.

The same thing applies to shaving items. It's all a question of supply and demand. I recall some of the original RR prototype slants went for substantially more than what they were sold for because some folks just wanted it at all costs.

This thread is a great example of what is great about this hobby. It can be different things to different people. Vive la différence.

$Bottom Dial.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thats just ridiculous.

Seller must be beside himself with giddiness. Looked at the bidding history shows he started it at 19 bucks. I wonder if he had any idea of how high it would go?

But; I do know that now I'm going to keep my eyes out to run over one in a flea market or yard sale and if I do the sucker will be going right up on eBay....

Maybe the seller had some help - looks like some possible shills amongst the bidders, but you never can prove it. See, e.g., the bidder who took it up to $655, with several bids, a week before the auction was to close?

I don't know but, when different bidders get together and communicate on whether or not they will bid on an auction that may be a problem. Could be some kind of trading violation. Seller has a right to get the highest possible price. When one bidder asks another not to bid because he wants the item, the seller gets short changed by this type of side communication. Again, I don't know but I wouldn't be openly talking about side communications on an auction. Just saying. There may be some arcane law.

Check out "collusion through communication in an auction" on your Google.

Last edited:
I don't know how this is possible to happen but I can tell that have seen a few examples of Shill bidding with some sellers - one particular, a very popular razor seller on eBay. I have no proof but I am convinced enough that he plays unfair (I never bid on his auctions).
So what are you saying about seller has a right to get the highest possible price?

I don't know how this is possible to happen but I can tell that have seen a few examples of Shill bidding with some sellers - one particular, a very popular razor seller on eBay. I have no proof but I am convinced enough that he plays unfair (I never bid on his auctions).
So what are you saying about seller has a right to get the highest possible price?

I think it is called "Bid Rigging" when potential buyers who are perticipating in an auction collude in a side conversation which causes the seller to get less money for his item then he would have. May quite likely be an FTC violation.

So shill bidding is explained (I gave the link), but I don't find anything about "Bid Rigging".
But I think it is very difficult to find (worldwide!) the guy who wants the same razor like you (and other hundreds potential takers!) and talk him (them ALL!) down to give up the auction, so you can get a deal, eh!

So shill bidding is explained (I gave the link), but I don't find anything about "Bid Rigging".
But I think it is very difficult to find (worldwide!) the guy who wants the same razor like you (and other hundreds potential takers!) and talk him (them ALL!) down to give up the auction, so you can get a deal, eh!

Whatever. Believe what you want. When bidders in an auction get together and communicate, it is a questionable practice. I certainly would not openly discuss doing it. I don't think it is legal. But, hey, what-me-worry.

I wish it was that easy. How often do you only see 1 or 2 bidders, almost never so like you said getting one person not to bid is not a game changer.

It might be possible with very high price range items like Bottom dial Fatboys for instance... who knows...

I would have won if I wanted that razor bad enough and did not step aside. The Fiend who won the razor knew I was interested and stated that this was one of his grail razors so being a Friend I lost interest and decided to let him fight it out with the other bidders. There was no price rigging or shill bidding going on with this auction I just gave up so someone else could go for it and backed out long before the end of the auction. I think that I should not have used the word collusion, it is an ugly word and could have been stated differently by Myself.

I would have won if I wanted that razor bad enough and did not step aside. The Fiend who won the razor knew I was interested and stated that this was one of his grail razors so being a Friend I lost interest and decided to let him fight it out with the other bidders. There was no price rigging or shill bidding going on with this auction I just gave up so someone else could go for it and backed out long before the end of the auction. I think that I should not have used the word collusion, it is an ugly word and could have been stated differently by Myself.

Seems like to me you were trying to be nice and support your friend. I am not a lawyer and do not know the basis (or principles) for the rules (or laws) for some things and sometimes they (laws) can seem downright odd. I only brought it up because you guys seemed unaware that you were on thin ice (as far as some people are concerned). I just wanted to make you guys aware because I am sure you wouldn't knowingly break the rules (or laws) even if they are strange. And hey, I could be totally off base. Maybe we have readers that are skilled in antitrust; they may say I'm all wet. I just know when another bidder communicates with you during the process of an auction, and wants you to do something different bidding wise than you would have, he (I think) is doing something wrong. Then if you do indeed do as he asks and then you change what you were going to do then (maybe) you are doing something wrong too. Shouldn't be any side communication from bidders in an auction at all is my way of steering clear of any problems. But maybe I am just too conservative. Your intent was to help a friend and that is a good thing (ha ha - unless your friend ask you to do something wrong - then he's putting you in the weeds).

Talking to a Friend about a live auction in private and one or the other backing off is completely legal. When you say thin ice do you mean on thin ice here? If yes then I am completely puzzled by this, I read the TOS here and cannot find a thing in them about privately discussing a live auction away from this page in private. My crime was chiming in on this high dollar auction (This is the 3rd time) a topic which more often than not seems to bring out allot of angry people. Lastly my Friends here in the razor world have never asked me to do anything wrong or unethical. I get dozens of messages away from this page in private weekly from Friends asking if this or that is on my radar, something Friends do in the razor world. EDIT: discussing and or stepping out of an auction to make room for someone else is not against the EBAY TOS, manipulating the price of an auction via shill bidding is an issue that can get your account shut off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom