What's new

Gillette F-4 1-9 Bottom Dials Goes For $1530

$BottomDial-1530.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gil...Z0g474CK8JTubyPsJ%2B8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Pretty penny for a 1-9 Bottom Dial. I remember not too long ago you could get them for $800.

$800 for a razor is absurd, $1500 is insane. :D
Not when you're talking about a Bottom Dial.
If you're a serious collector and have deep enough pockets, $1500 seems to be Fair Market Value today.

I would buy it at that price if I had the money ... but it would strictly be a collectible. I'd never shave with it.

I always thought that the Bottom-Dial preceded the FatBoy as a prototype adjustable.
But according to the ShaveWili, the FatBoy came first, by 2 years at least, and continued after the Bottom Dial was discontinued.

According to the ShaveWiki, 1960 is the only year that Bottom Dials were made.

Did the buyer realize it is just a razor? I can get a really nice bandsaw for that kind of money. I guess it just proves the saying that people will spend plenty collecting old items, regardless of what it is, if they are really into that type of item.

From a pure collector perspective I get it. But from an aesthetic view I find it an ugly duckling. IMV my 59 F.B. is just plain gorgeous. A classic, although far from my best shaver.

I actually prefer the look of the original over this one. I'm sure they shave the same. It is fun to look at rare items but honestly if these were $5 bucks I'm not sure I would pick one up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm sure they shave the same.

The don't shave the same, really. The balance is different. I shaved with mine for Fatboy February 2015. It took a few days to get the feel of it, but it turned out to be a great shaver. I really haven't shaved with it, since, but I still get a kick out of it. It sure is an odd duck.

I agree. I just saw another razor I was watching but never bid on go for $480.37. It was an Aristocrat #15. It was most certainly a gorgeous razor but I wouldn't pay $100 for a razor, let alone almost $500.

Thats just ridiculous.

Seller must be beside himself with giddiness. Looked at the bidding history shows he started it at 19 bucks. I wonder if he had any idea of how high it would go?

But; I do know that now I'm going to keep my eyes out to run over one in a flea market or yard sale and if I do the sucker will be going right up on eBay....

Last edited:
Thats just ridiculous.

Seller must be beside himself with giddiness. Looked at the bidding history shows he started it at 19 bucks. I wonder if he had any idea of how high it would go?

But; I do know that now I'm going to keep my eyes out to run over one in a flea market or yard sale and if I do the sucker will be going right up on eBay....
Oh man, if only that were to ever happen...

From a pure collector perspective I get it. But from an aesthetic view I find it an ugly duckling. IMV my 59 F.B. is just plain gorgeous. A classic, although far from my best shaver.

+1 ... I see the Bottom Dial as being of interest only to collectors.

As for the Fat boy ... I'm not a fan of either Adjustable or TTO razors, but the shaves I've done with an FB were impressive. I've had 3 of them pass through my den, but have yet to get one of my own at a reasonable price point. I've been looking for 8 years now, and still haven't found an FB I'm willing to pull the trigger on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom