What's new

Gillette expert, please help Z1 40's style super speed

So I found a z1 (1954) 40's style super speed and picked it up, then looked it up on the shave wiki and the only z(1954) ss were z3/4 the tv specials, any info would help.

It is what you call a flare tip. Hang in to it. They are not that common. You have found a good one. What type if shape is it in? Can you post some pics?

It is not a tv special. Those were made in the second half of 54. Yours was made I. The first quarter of 54. You have one of ghe first flare tips. Good find!

Josh

Last edited:
So it's definitely 40s-style rather than flare-tip, and definitely Z-1? Maybe that's new information, and there were some non-tv 1954 super speeds. I wouldn't be too surprised. Achim might come along with more information.

You've probably already looked at Achim's site, but here is a picture of the TV Special for comparison: http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1954 TV Super-Speed.jpg. I think it's only distinguished from other 40s-style super speeds by its case (vs the later TV Special, which had special knurling).

It is Not a flare tip ss. It is a 40's ss. It looks the same as achims(sp) but the marks are Z1? I was curious because there were no 40's ss with z1 as the date code.

If it helps, this razor had no case, I says, pat nos on pkg, under the doors, then handle up, reg us pat off, z 1, gillette made in USA.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They're out there, 40s style Z1 SuperSpeeds.

Pic is hard to read the date code number, sorry, but here is one:
proxy.php

So I found a z1 (1954) 40's style super speed and picked it up, then looked it up on the shave wiki and the only z(1954) ss were z3/4 the tv specials, any info would help.

1954 was a crossover year when Gillette converted from '40's style to flair tip and again '40's style for the TV Special. I have a Z1 '40's style and also a Z3 flair tip and '40's style TV special. The more Super Speeds you find the more likely you are to see these types of mixed razors and date codes. I would think very few companies change to new models exactly on January 1st.

Len

1954 was a crossover year when Gillette converted from '40's style to flair tip and again '40's style for the TV Special. I have a Z1 '40's style and also a Z3 flair tip and '40's style TV special. The more Super Speeds you find the more likely you are to see these types of mixed razors and date codes. I would think very few companies change to new models exactly on January 1st.

Len

Yes, you're right about the crossover. You have a Z1 '40's style and I have a Z1 flare tip.

Top Bottom