What's new

Gillette 'Executive'-case restoration ROUND 2!

• I was kindly given this 'Executive'-case from a collector friend who couldn't continue the restoration proces for different reasons.
  • As some of you know I have previously restored my other 'Executive' case with a new mirror so I knew the process.
  • The newly acquired case needed some cleaning in general and I had to try and remove some rust at the spot where the fabric is missing. It was quite severe but it turned out alright everthing considered. I furthermore polished the chrome to give a little extra shine 👌🏼
  • The replacement mirror was one I had from the last project, so mounting it was easy. I cleaned and polished the tray for the mirror, attached double sided tape and mounted it. Lastly the small metal "hooks" were bent back in the optimal position.
  • Nothing more to do than put the razor and blade dispensers in their place. They for sure look good together 🤩

IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg

Last edited:

• I was kindly given this 'Executive'-case from a collector friend who couldn't continue the restoration proces for different reasons.
  • As some of you know I have previously restored my other 'Executive' case with a new mirror so I knew the process.
  • The newly acquired case needed some cleaning in general and I had to try and remove some rust at the spot where the fabric is missing. It was quite severe but it turned out alright everthing considered. I furthermore polished the chrome to give a little extra shine 👌🏼
  • The replacement mirror was one I had from the last project, so mounting it was easy. I cleaned and polished the tray for the mirror, attached double sided tape and mounted it. Lastly the small metal "hooks" were bent back in the optimal position.
  • Nothing more to do than put the razor and blade dispensers in there place. They for sure look good together 🤩

View attachment 1412316View attachment 1412317View attachment 1412318View attachment 1412319View attachment 1412320View attachment 1412321View attachment 1412322View attachment 1412323View attachment 1412324View attachment 1412325

That has turned out beautiful and very fitting for a fantastic razor, Sir!!! Well done on a beautiful restore.

Awesome. I had a case that was missing one side and other really torn and I decided to restore it but used a different type of leather
91800FE2-BAA6-435F-9FF2-BFC8D3F0FE99.jpeg
CAC87D28-9394-4A27-B78C-70B50D3AFF84.jpeg
D1741980-5049-4DCA-A471-AFA9D9AC8EF4.jpeg

Just a couple more of the process. I ended up selling it when i found a proper case which i regret now.
Great to see more of the process. You for sure put an attention to detail 👌🏼

I think I would have kept that one too since it's an accomplishment and a fun project to remember.

But you can just do it all over again in the future and maybe make it even better now that you know the process 😀

That's fantastic!

How did you clean the fabric? Were you able to repair the hole that is in the fabric where the handle sits against it... and if so, how did you do that?

Thank you for sharing

That's fantastic!

How did you clean the fabric? Were you able to repair the hole that is in the fabric where the handle sits against it... and if so, how did you do that?

Thank you for sharing
Well I tried my best 🙂

I just used a tooth brush and a hair dryer to remove any loose dirt. I further scraped as much as the rust off that I could on the problematic spot.

The area without fabric is still behind the razor.

Well I tried my best 🙂

I just used a tooth brush and a hair dryer to remove any loose dirt. I further scraped as much as the rust off that I could on the problematic spot.

The area without fabric is still behind the razor.

Do you have any ideas how to treat, arrest or otherwise take care of the dreaded verdigris problem these sets have? I have cleaned it up some before but it keeps returning. Any ideas?
IMG_6784.jpeg

Do you have any ideas how to treat, arrest or otherwise take care of the dreaded verdigris problem these sets have? I have cleaned it up some before but it keeps returning. Any ideas?View attachment 1784211
Not really besides using a rather mild metal polish in order to get in depth with "cleaning" the spots as best as possible after covering up the leather.

Returning verdigris like that seems to be a combination of not removing it all and then potentially keeping the case in a somewhat humid climate?

Thanks. You were nearby! 😀
I find the verdigris is like a darn skin rash that keeps reinfecting itself. I have had this razor close to 15 years now and have cleaned it up several times. It isn’t without cost either since the metal plating on the case moulding will also clean off from my activity there. I haven’t coated it with any sort of oil for not wanting to stain the ostrich fabric or have impact on the interior. Perhaps a mild wax or?

As for moisture impacts, it came from Britain after getting there at some point from the US, and spent some years on Vancouver Island Canada, spent an unfortunate overwintered storage in an unheated -30c shed, and now 3 winters in the central Canadian praries (heated!😀 ) They all have had moisture. This verdigris problem has plagued this Executive Set since I’ve had it. The corrosion had begun some years before I got it as told by the deplated spotting.

I will be bringing the old fellow into his 85th birthday in a few months so I am thinking about how to get his crib looking a little sharper. The old man himself is plated well with rhodium and looks like a fine young man - no verdigris on him!

I think it may be a common concern with this Gillette model case (also common to see mirror delamination from the glue, inner liner balding, ostrich skin breakdown) and I have seen a few on ebay and other sitings that have it.

I should definately clean it again and think about how I store them. Thanks

Last edited:
Here is another case being sold on Ebay. Supports my “common problem” argument more than the “your fault” argument. I am still looking for good information on effectively dealing with this.

IMG_7242.jpeg

IMG_7243.jpeg

Yes, some of these cases are really hard hit with the verdigris pest / corrosion. Unfortunately it seems it's a lost cause once it has started and cleaning it will only keep it away temporarily 😕

It really is a shame and I don't quite understand how it can occur. I mean the nickel plated edges should be pretty durable. It's eg. not like a razor which can be dropped resulting in cracks of the plating and therefore exposing the underlying metal.

Top Bottom