What's new

Gillette Blue Blades - Real? Fake? What’s your take?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve got 2 different blade wrappers here for Gillette Blue Blades and some questions to answer.

1. Which one is fake? Or Are they both fake? Or Are they both real?
2. Can anyone translate the writing?
3. Do they suck?
4. Which one have you used?
5. Do you think it sucked?

I will be shaving with both of them over the next week or so. I will post my opinion here.

Thanks!

17AE526E-C6AC-4748-A83C-36E01F02C056.jpeg

DBA30315-4A9E-4F0D-8924-F17B979FE415.jpeg

1A001BA8-BA8D-477A-8B9C-1F08C52804C2.jpeg

743A0E89-FC67-4DC3-A520-BC67458AB11A.jpeg

77A67355-A487-40F1-B72B-EF71AAE395F6.jpeg

I have no clue. I will say the Thai Gillette Thin (made in China I believe) also can have really dodgy looking lettering on the blade. Like ridiculous. It may be the local manufacturing partner adhering to Gillette blade specs but going cheap on printing. Or not. But the dodgy looking ones did shave ok.

Last edited:
Both say genuine right on the package, so they must be real, right? :)

Seriously, I'm interested to know what you think of these. I have seen them come up several times recently.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Care to enlighten me on your findings? Don’t reckon I’m going to read through a 3 page thread. I skimmed through it. Seems about half say they suck, half say they are as good as Astra. Of course those that say they suck could be talking about the fake ones.

It also seems like I have one of each - a fake and a real one. #2 is likely the real one.

I would have said blade 2 was the real one until I saw the picture of the actual blade itself then I was thinking fake. I feel like the Gillette looks more genuine on package two, but more genuine on blade 1.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah the Vector. Which is actually real. I think it was/is marketed in India. Which makes me think #2 is real.

Of course hey both could be real! Idk. It does seem like the consensus is the real ones are decent. So perhaps the shave will tell me something. Going to use one tomorrow.

Yeah the Vector. Which is actually real. I think it was/is marketed in India. Which makes me think #2 is real.

Of course hey both could be real! Idk. It does seem like the consensus is the real ones are decent. So perhaps the shave will tell me something. Going to use one tomorrow.
Not scientific, but #1 has the typical Gillette Glue Dots which a lot of fake blades don't have!! Just saying!!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah I noticed that too. IDK if a fake is going to go through the trouble to put glue dots on it.

Okay I have someone I work with who is Chinese and translated some stuff for me.
Here is what he said about the following image:
  1. The first two characters basically say "two edged"
  2. The last two characters basically say "being able to replace"
  3. About the two larger characters. When a word cannot be translated, the Chinese use words that have the closest phonetic pronunciation. (he seemed to pronounce it Gin-ette)
  4. The three characters basically = super blue
  5. One tuck of blades included
  6. stainless steel
  7. he says that this explains that the cutting edge has a "white gold" coating. I'm thinking it's platinum coated.
  8. Gillette and the two bolded characters (the same as #3), are trademarks of an company based in the United States
Clip_005002.png

I hope this helps a little

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Helps a lot. Thanks!!

I used the #1 blade just now. It sucked. I have a 7 day growth and it felt like the blade was yanking my hairs out instead of cutting them. I started on my right sideburn. Took 2 short strokes and OUCH! Rinsed the blade, moved to my right cheek. Couple more short strokes and OUCH again. Very little hair was actually taken off too. It just scraped across my skin. No way I could get through a whole shave like this. So I picked up a Gillette Guard and finished the shave flawlessly. Complete night and day difference in cutting. The Guard was able to hand my 7 day growth effortlessly.

Now you might be wondering “why not just switch to the #2 blade”. Well, I thought about it and decided against it. To give it a fair chance I felt it deserved fresh lather, and a clear mind that didn’t just have a bad experience with a similar blade.

You also might be thinking “well no wonder it sucked! You had 7 days of growth!”. That would be a valid point if it weren’t for other blades I’ve tried that handle my 7 day growth just fine:

7 day growth: Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews
5 day growth: Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews
7 day growth: Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews

So anyway, blade #1 - sucks. I guess I’ll wait 7 days to shave with blade #2 and see how that goes.

I have one left out of an authentic tuck and it looks exactly like #1 in your photos and I have gotten nothing but stellar shaves. However, I use an injector on anything over a few days of beard growth as they simply scythe through heavier growth far easier due to more mass/blade rigidity. Any time I have had to use a DE on a multiple day beard the resultant shave was never quite as pleasant as one on say a one day's growth. Therefore, I wish the OP would test his blade on a normal day or two growth and not a Jeremiah Johnson tribute. :thumbsup:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have one left out of an authentic tuck and it looks exactly like #1 in your photos and I have gotten nothing but stellar shaves. However, I use an injector on anything over a few days of beard growth as they simply scythe through heavier growth far easier due to more mass/blade rigidity. Any time I have had to use a DE on a multiple day beard the resultant shave was never quite as pleasant as one on say a one day's growth. Therefore, I wish the OP would test his blade on a normal day or two growth and not a Jeremiah Johnson tribute. :thumbsup:
Sorry to disappoint but that won’t be happening. Here’s why -
For starters, I don’t have any more blades that match #1.
Secondly, I have found several blades that will slice through my 7 day growth without whacking down the beard with trimmers first. Or having to shave a day or two after a previous shave. These blades give me great shaves. If this blade can’t even come close to a great shave (it couldn’t even finish a shave) then there is no point in me testing it any further. It sucks IMO. I simply have other blades I can reach for.

Just like I said there are several blades that give me great shaves on a 7 day growth, there are some “just OK” blades that give me “just OK” shaves. And surprise - they also will tackle more than just a 1 or 2 day growth. So again, why would I test this again? I’ve found quite a few better blades. Maybe it can shave a 1 day growth. But I don’t shave every day (clearly). So if it’s not going to be able to complete a shave when I feel like shaving....well sorry, IMO it sucks.

4 day growth - Toothpick’s Never-Ending Blade Reviews

With that said.....it appears as though I am now on day 8. Which I should have shaved yesterday to give these blades a fair chance and match #1 shave with #2 shave. So, since the test is already screwed up and I don’t feel like shaving tonight, I’ll just go ahead and give the #2 blade a better chance than #1. Maybe i’ll Shave tomorrow, maybe Sunday, depends on my mood. BUT, whenever I shave I will trim my beard first. As close as I can with the clippers. We’ll see how #2 preforms on a simulated 1-2 day growth. Of course there is always the chance it could be a fake and it would have sucked regardless.

I don’t think we’ll figure out which one was fake and which one was real here.....

OK, here's a little clarification (I hope) with photos. Yesterday, I received some new Chinese Super Gillette Blue Blades and tried one today. Well, it is as fake as a four dollar bill! Unable to move the razor more than a 1/2" as it was literally rough as a cob!! Fortunately, I have a bonafide blade to compare the packaging with as well as two other Gillette Chinese blades that are as well bonafide. ;) Here we go:

proxy.php

In the above photo the fake blade wrapper is on top and the bonafide blade (still in pckg.) on bottom. As well, the fake had a plain white inner wrapper with no advert.

proxy.php

Bonafide blade on bottom & fake on top. Notice the darker color of the grey circle on the real one.

proxy.php

Now, for the "money shot". Fake blade in the center. Top blade is bonafide Chinese Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Vietnam market). Bottom blade is bonafide Chinese Gillette Goal Super Platinum. Notice the number sizes & font differences. As well the Gillette markings.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s a good comparison. Amazing that fake 2 cent blades are a thing!

Top Bottom